1. Standard memberJedStuart
    Elephant Cobbler
    Popsicle Swamp
    Moves
    28 Jul '10 20:14
    I can only see two reasons that atheists and theists would discuss religion. 1) They love debating. 2) They are delusional enough to believe that they can convince someone that they are correct.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Jul '10 22:06
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Is it assumed on the part of some theists, that other theists should be here in this [b]spirituality forum only to engage in discussion that sets them on the correct path? Also is it assumed that non-theists should be here only to consider submissively the words of theists about some 'one true god', and forsaking all others come to accept and offer their h ...[text shortened]... are treading metaphorical dog poo into the carpet of a house we weren't invited into![/b]
    I'm here for a few reasons. 1) Neutralize Christian fanatic propaganda. 2) Argue the case for the underdogs like Shi'ite Muslims in one case. 3) Interact with intellectuals who can defend their position solidly like Conrau, Bbarr and the like. 4) Atheist missionary work; de-conversion of the converted. 5) Allow theists the opportunity to convert me - I will listen to those worth listening to, including among theists.
  3. weedhopper
    Moves
    29 Jul '10 18:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm here for a few reasons. 1) Neutralize Christian fanatic propaganda. 2) Argue the case for the underdogs like Shi'ite Muslims in one case. 3) Interact with intellectuals who can defend their position solidly like Conrau, Bbarr and the like. 4) Atheist missionary work; de-conversion of the converted. 5) Allow theists the opportunity to convert me - I will listen to those worth listening to, including among theists.
    I've never understood the compulsion many have to "convert" others to their way of thinking, specifically in their religious beliefs. I'm aware that there are Christian denominations who do this voraciously (some Baptists and JW's knock on strangers' doors, some Pentecostals preach on street corners, ...), but NOT ALL Christians do this. I am a Christian. I do not prosyltize (sp?). I don't ask people "Are you saved?" or "What church do you attend?" The subject never comes up unless the person I'm talking to brings it up. And even then, I simply answer any question they ask me.
    Jews and Hindus, and many of the Oriental religions) are noted for the fact that they do NOT seek converts. If you want to join them, fine. In some cases, you must jump through quite a few hoops; others you just say, I'm a _____-ist, and you're in. But I never thought of atheists as having "missionaries" and seeking to convert others to their cause. Until now. Seems the JWs DO have something in common with atheists.😉😛
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 02:15
    In my case it's because I dislike the heavy Christian influence in politics.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 05:12
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I've never understood the compulsion many have to "convert" others to their way of thinking, specifically in their religious beliefs.
    Then you lack compassion. As a Christian you presumably believe that becoming Christian is extremely beneficial, so by converting others you are helping others. Also, by not doing so, you are ignoring biblical teaching.

I, like others - including Christians, believe that what I believe is the truth, and I also believe that for most people it would be best to know the truth, so obviously through compassion I wish to tell others the truth.
    In addition, I believe religion is generally harmful and so I would like to eliminate it.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 11:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Then you lack compassion. As a Christian you presumably believe that becoming Christian is extremely beneficial, so by converting others you are helping others. Also, by not doing so, you are ignoring biblical teaching.
    I respect members of a movement that respect other people's wish to decide for themselves. Many fundamentalists just want to shove their 'Truths' into other people throats. That I don't respect.

I want to make my own decision of what I want to believe in and what I don't want to belive in. Don't try to convert me if I don't want to be converted. If I want to be converted, then I probably am already converted.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 13:00
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I want to make my own decision of what I want to believe in and what I don't want to belive in. Don't try to convert me if I don't want to be converted. If I want to be converted, then I probably am already converted.
    There is a very big difference between proselytizing or trying to convert you and trying to force you into believing something.
    I see nothing wrong with trying to convince others of our point of view when there is no coercion involved only information sharing and rational argument. Especially on a forum like this where nobody is forced to be here or to read or respond to anyones posts.
    What I do object to is indoctrination, and trying to convert others through fear tactics, deception and lies. One of my objections to religion in general is that almost all religions have members guilty of the above. They often engage in such tactics without really realizing it or will try to explain it away.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 13:14
    There is a very big difference between proselytizing or trying to convert you and trying to force you into believing something.
    I see nothing wrong with trying to convince others of our point of view when there is no coercion involved only information sharing and rational argument. Especially on a forum like this where nobody is forced to be here or to r ...[text shortened]... e. They often engage in such tactics without really realizing it or will try to explain it away.
    Everyone knows that there are churches. Everyone wanting to be a part of a church, or a movement, or a cult or whatever, can do that of their own will. There is no need for missionary in our countries. (What I think about missionaries in other countries deserves its own thread.)

Fundamentalists often uses pure lies to convince others obout their (so called) superiority. Lies that their authorities has given them, or lies that they invent for themselves.

The wrong I see convincing others is when they don't stop convincing when they get a clear 'no' back. When they finally stop their convincing with the words "I'll pray for you." I find that very disrespctful. So I give back with "Got to hëll!" with exactly the same disrespect. Appearantly they don't understand the paralell.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 16:05
    The wrong I see convincing others is when they don't stop convincing when they get a clear 'no' back. When they finally stop their convincing with the words "I'll pray for you." I find that very disrespctful. So I give back with "Got to hëll!" with exactly the same disrespect. Appearantly they don't understand the paralell.
    Well obviously anyone who uses a condescending attitude whilst proselytizing is unlikely to get many converts. Somehow not everybody realizes that.
    I also don't appreciate it when proselytizing is done not through a genuine desire to share the truth but for other reasons. Some people believe it will gain them favor with God and others seem to do it to make themselves feel better about their beliefs.
    But I must say that I know a lot of Christians and only a very small percentage are guilty of any of the above.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 16:11
    I respect members of a movement that respect other people's wish to decide for themselves. Many fundamentalists just want to shove their 'Truths' into other people throats. That I don't respect.

In other words follow the example set by Christ. 😀
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '10 23:212 edits
    I'm glad to see everybody here , same people, and same debates, it is like yesterday !!

at least reasons for many didn't change whatever the reasons are!!

Hello everyone!
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Jul '10 12:04
    Originally posted by ahosyney
    I'm glad to see everybody here , same people, and same debates, it is like yesterday !!

Hello everyone!
    Hi Ahosyney. Long time no hear from you. Have you changed any in the last year or so ? Do you still support the stoning women for adultery or have your views matured and mellowed a bit?

Just so readers know what we talking about ... here is an excerpt from an article :

http://countercultureconservative.wordpress.com/2010/07/08/adulteress-to-be-stoned-in-iran/

>>>Sharia law in Iran demands an adulteress be stoned to death. A stoning in Iran means the adulteress will be buried up to her chest and then stoned by the jubilant Righteous casting stones regulated for size so as not to render the guilty sinner unconscious or kill her immediately. She must suffer first. The stones will break her nose, knock out her eyes and teeth, and gradually pulverize her face to a bloody pulp until she dies a slow, agonizing death. Graphic enough for you? A stoning in Iran means the woman will essentially be tortured to death in the most gruesome way imaginable. They are complete and utter sadists. <<<
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 21:31
    Originally posted by ahosyney

Hello everyone!
    All right! A little diversity back in the forums! We need a little variation. Welcome back.
  14. weedhopper
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 05:42

I, like others - including Christians, believe that what I believe is the truth, and I also believe that for most people it would be b ...[text shortened]... ruth.
    In addition, I believe religion is generally harmful and so I would like to eliminate it.
    I said prosyletizing is wrong--not telling others about ones' faith IF ASKED. If you take it as a given that this forum is an automatic request by all who post on it to be preached the Gospel, then you're welcome to it, but I don't share that definition. I've been asked what I believe before, and why, and I try my best to explain it. I hope I'm convincing. But I would never walk up to a stranger on the street and ask "Are you saved, Brother?", or knock on a stranger's door and ask "If you die tonight, will you go to heaven?" These are personal questions and, to some, an invasion of their right to privacy. I support your right to stand on a street corner and preach all you want--even have some tracts handy for those who might want to read about your beliefs, as long as your actions stop at the end of your knows. Once you "accost" someone by blocking their way to ak them ANYTHING, or try to force a pamphlet into their hand, you've gone over the line and are now a nuisance, and you make the rest of us Christians look bad.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree