1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Apr '14 21:18
    Originally posted by C Hess
    If you don't have to take it literally, why insist that evolution is not real? Surely there's a
    perfectly reasonable way to square evolution with a non-literal interpretation of the bible?
    There are ways some do that, but it does not seem reasonable to me and other young earth creationists.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 00:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am thankful I have food to eat and a kidney and heart and a brain that works.
    I'm thankful for my liver - it does sterling work.
    Thank you god. Ally loo yah.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 00:57
    Isn't it true that creationists read genesis in a literal sense?
    You'll have to do better than this, kid.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 04:36
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    1. Sending his one and only begotten son to sacrifice his life for us to spend an eternity with him.

2. Grateful for the ark of Noah because without that not everyone alive today would be here because we are all sons of his Noah's three sons.

3. And I'm grateful for the ability to use my arms and legs.
    Thanks for this timely thread, RB.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 06:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You'll have to do better than this, kid.
    You do realise that my rail on genesis was out of thinking RJHinds take that book literally;
    a book not just "technically incomplete", but scientifically speaking flat out wrong. Now,
    he's telling me he doesn't necessarily take it literally, in which case it makes no sense why
    he would be so anti-scientific. I feel like I took the wrong turn somewhere and ended up in
    the asylum for the worst kind of insane.

I'm not used to having my IQ drop as the result of a single conversation, so you'll have to
    excuse my frustration as I climb back up.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 08:521 edit
    THE PROBLEM WITH THOSE THAT PICK AND
    CHOOSE WHAT IS LITERAL AND WHAT IS
    METAPHORICAL IS THAT THEY CANNOT
    EXPLAIN THEIR DECISION - IT WOULD BE
    GRAET IF THE ALLEGORICAL BITS WERE
    IN RED INK OR SOMETHING BUT THEY ARE
    NOT - WE ARE LEFT WITH THE OPTION OF
    LEAVING THE TRUE MEANING OF THE
    BOOKS OF THE BIBLE TO INTELLECTUAL
    GIANTS LIKE rjhinds
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 18:15
    You do realise that my rail on genesis was out of thinking RJHinds take that book literally;
    a book not just "technically incomplete", but scientifically speaking flat out wrong. Now,
    he's telling me he doesn't necessarily take it literally, in which case it makes no sense why
    he would be so anti-scientific. I feel like I took the wrong turn somewhere a ...[text shortened]... e result of a single conversation, so you'll have to
    excuse my frustration as I climb back up.
    I think you'd do better working on your own beliefs instead of railing against the beliefs of others: everyone is at the stage they're at for sundry reasons.

For instance, I could lampoon your assertion of Genesis' being "scientifically flat out wrong," but what good would it do to point out the obvious?
    Would you abandon your belief that we have absolute scientific certainty regarding the beginning of life on the planet?
    Not likely.

I, for one, wholeheartedly believe the account of Genesis--- in its entirety--- and fully expect "science" to eventually catch up with what was written thousands of years ago... just as science and understanding have caught up with other assertions found in the Bible years afterwards.
  8. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 02:38
    For instance, I could lampoon your assertion of Genesis' being "scientifically flat out wrong," but what good would it do to point out the obvious?
    Please do. I for one enjoy having my certainties challenged. It's how I grow intellectually.
    So, don't be shy, but show me how genesis is supported scientifically. If you can do that, I'll
    be the first to admit I'm wrong, and apologise if it upset you too much, as I've had to do
    many times in the past.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 05:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I'm thankful for my liver - it does sterling work.
    Thank you god. Ally loo yah.
    Yes, I agree with that one.

HalleluYah !!! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 14:52
    For instance, I could lampoon your assertion of Genesis' being "scientifically flat out wrong," but what good would it do to point out the obvious
    I'm waiting.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 15:09
    Please do. I for one enjoy having my certainties challenged. It's how I grow intellectually.
    So, don't be shy, but show me how genesis is supported scientifically. If you can do that, I'll
    be the first to admit I'm wrong, and apologise if it upset you too much, as I've had to do
    many times in the past.
    Apparently it's difficult for you to have real conversations with thoughtful adults; I'll keep this in the forefront of my thinking.

Your statement here misrepresents my claim.
    To clarify, go back and read it again.

Where you are wrong, however, is to claim there is some scientifically acceptable and proven account for the beginning of life on the planet.

[Hint: This is the part where you admit you are wrong.]
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 15:43
    Your statement here misrepresents my claim.
    To clarify, go back and read it again.
    I have. You said that you can lampoon my assertion that genesis is scientifically flat out
    wrong. Now, stop wiggling, and do the lampooning!
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 15:45
    Where you are wrong, however, is to claim there is some scientifically acceptable and proven account for the beginning of life on the planet.
    I have claimed no such thing, though logically I'd be willing to defend the abiogenesis
    hypothesis, if you'd like me to.
  14. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 17:381 edit
    For instance, I could lampoon...
    Oh, lampoon. As in making a parody of my assertion. 😵

Well, make a parody of it then.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Apr '14 21:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That's some gall to expect to be respected when you're not willing to give respect in return, just because you disagree with a concept that you do not personally believe in.

If you do believe in antagonizing your fellow man by not respecting their beliefs, how can you expect to be respected in turn? How does this make sense?

This is not a war, so I o ...[text shortened]... warfare against people you merely disagree with is anti-social, at best, and hateful, at worst.
    Where did I say that I expect you to respect me?

I oppose everything you believe in and hold dear.

I would be insane to expect you to respect me.

I am not preprepared to respect your position because it's stupid and wrong.
    It's utterly irrational and damaging to yourself and society.

Why on Earth should I respect a position that I believe to be wrong, stupid and
    dangerous???

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree