1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 23:48
    1. Sending his one and only begotten son to sacrifice his life for us to spend an eternity with him.

2. Grateful for the ark of Noah because without that not everyone alive today would be here because we are all sons of his Noah's three sons.

3. And I'm grateful for the ability to use my arms and legs.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 00:001 edit
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    1. Sending his one and only begotten son to sacrifice his life for us to spend an eternity with him.

2. Grateful for the ark of Noah because without that not everyone alive today would be here because we are all sons of his Noah's three sons.

1. Someone else cannot pay [morally] for crimes I commit.
    If I have committed a crime then I must pay for it, nobody else can.

Likewise, nobody else is guilty of crimes I commit, and if I have children
    then they do not inherit responsibility for my crimes.

The unworkable 'solution' of sacrificing his son, is to solve a problem that
    god himself has created. And could fix any time he liked.

Living an eternity is infinite torture, nothing resembling a human could survive
    without going utterly insane.

So the 'reward' of an eternity with god is a punishment equal to an eternity in
    hell. The only difference being how fast you go insane.

And neither JC nor god ever existed, nor does the problem JC is supposed to have
    fixed... So number one has nothing to be thankful for.

2. We should be grateful that god only chose to murder ALMOST all the
    people of the Earth and not all of them? Also, this means that the world was
    populated by one incestuous family TWICE in history.

3. Provided to you by evolution, no gods involved.

I'm still waiting to be impressed with what I'm supposed to be grateful for.

EDIT: Looking at this I realise that it's not clear... I thought that these reasons for being
    grateful were quite comical.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 00:27

Great, we're all inbred. 😞
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 00:45
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That's obviously why you should still be grateful you can use your arms and legs...
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 00:49
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    EDIT: Looking at this I realise that it's not clear... I thought that these reasons for being
    grateful were quite comical.
    What's comical is your response.

While I understand your antagonism, I still find it ridiculous that you would intentionally bad-mouth what is clearly an opinion piece.

God does exist, and I find it strange to limit oneself to only a few reasons to be thankful to God. But I am not bad-mouthing RBHILL's opinion, either.

You didn't have to reply if you disagree. Or perhaps you could have said only that you disagree, your depiction of it as "comical" completely and totally disrespects RBHILL's opinion.

Yes, I even understand how some could feel that this was a provocation to those who hold opposite views, but for pete's sake, let the man have his opinion. Unless, of course, you don't mind people coming into your thread and crapping all over your opinion.

Just a little respect, is that too much to ask?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 03:10

I am thankful I have food to eat and a kidney and heart and a brain that works.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 11:40
    I am thankful that I can take every single moral charge in the Bible to BE a certain way, turning it back towards Jesus Christ and say - "Lord Jesus, You are in me. Be this for me. Thankyou Lord"

"[The] last Adam became a life giving Spirit." (1 Cor. 15:45)
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 15:03
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    What's comical is your response.

While I understand your antagonism, I still find it ridiculous that you would intentionally bad-mouth what is clearly an opinion piece.

God does exist, and I find it strange to limit oneself to only a few reasons to be thankful to God. But I am not bad-mouthing RBHILL's opinion, either.

You didn't have to reply if ...[text shortened]... ur thread and crapping all over your opinion.

Just a little respect, is that too much to ask?
    I was being generous by only doing three so that others could share.
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 15:10
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I can see where Paul was coming from. I think it was your great great great great great great great great grandmother that was the thorn in his side.
  10. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 15:12
    I'll be honest. I'm grateful she doesn't seem to exist.

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither,
    and slay them before me.

-jesus
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 15:32
    Originally posted by C Hess
    I'll be honest. I'm grateful she doesn't seem to exist.

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither,
    and slay them before me.

-jesus
    Well your not being 'totally' honest with your quote.
    But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

While Jesus did make this statement, he was telling a parable and the quote is attributed to the master of the slaves in the story.

Luke 19:11-27

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    Parable of Money Usage

11 While they were listening to these things, Jesus went on to tell a parable, because He was near Jerusalem, and they supposed that the kingdom of God was going to appear immediately. 12 So He said, “A nobleman went to a distant country to receive a kingdom for himself, and then return. 13 And he called ten of his slaves, and gave them ten [a]minas and said to them, ‘Do business with this until I come back.’ 14 But his citizens hated him and sent [c]a delegation after him, saying, ‘We do not want this man to reign over us.’ 15 When he returned, after receiving the kingdom, he ordered that these slaves, to whom he had given the money, be called to him so that he might know what business they had done. 16 The first appeared, saying, ‘[d]Master, your [e]mina has made ten minas more.’ 17 And he said to him, ‘Well done, good slave, because you have been faithful in a very little thing, you are to be in authority over ten cities.’ 18 The second came, saying, ‘Your [f]mina, [g]master, has made five minas.’ 19 And he said to him also, ‘And you are to be over five cities.’ 20 Another came, saying, ‘Master, here is your mina, which I kept put away in a handkerchief; 21 for I was afraid of you, because you are an exacting man; you take up what you did not lay down and reap what you did not sow.’ 22 He *said to him, ‘[h]By your own words I will judge you, you worthless slave. Did you know that I am an exacting man, taking up what I did not lay down and reaping what I did not sow? 23 Then why did you not put my money in the bank, and having come, I would have collected it with interest?’ 24 Then he said to the bystanders, ‘Take the mina away from him and give it to the one who has the ten minas.’ 25 And they said to him, ‘Master, he has ten minas already.’ 26 I tell you that to everyone who has, more shall be given, but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away. 27 But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence.”

Why do you attempt to deceive?
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 16:18
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Well your not being 'totally' honest with your quote.
    But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

While Jesus did make this statement, he was telling a parable and the quote is attributed to the master of the slaves in the story.

Luke 19:11-27

New American Standard Bib ...[text shortened]... over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence.”

Why do you attempt to deceive?[/b]
    So, what you're saying is that I should read the bible more carefully before I pass
    judgement on its contents. Fair enough. As soon as I suspect this god of yours actually
    exist I will do just that. As far as I'm concerned it's just another book, though this particular
    one has been taken far too seriously, if anyone asks me.

One thing I just can't wrap my head around is, why keep all the things in the old testament
    that apparently no longer applies (like stoning for adultery)? And seriously, genesis (?), that
    should have been removed or corrected over a hundred years ago.

Just so we're clear, I was being totally honest, I am grateful she doesn't appear to exist.
    Seems a little too unstable and indecisive to me, your god.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 17:01
    So, what you're saying is that I should read the bible more carefully before I pass
    judgement on its contents. Fair enough. As soon as I suspect this god of yours actually
    exist I will do just that. As far as I'm concerned it's just another book, though this particular
    one has been taken far too seriously, if anyone asks me.

One thing I just can't wr ...[text shortened]... l she doesn't appear to exist.
    Seems a little too unstable and indecisive to me, your god.[/i]
    So, what you're saying is that I should read the bible more carefully before I pass judgement on its contents.

Much emphasis is put on statements made by different folks in these forum and context is everything. What I am saying... context applies to everything, not just the Bible.

Take your quote for instance...
    C Hess stated...

and slay them before me.

-jesus

One could read your quote and draw a conclusion about Jesus that is not true about him even though he said it. You are making an implication (an inaccurate one at that), one that the lazy guy doesn't look into it and then believes it, just like the lazy guy who doesn't put into context 😉 . Taken in context, the quote carries a totally different meaning, do you see the difference?
  14. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 17:25
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Taken in context, the quote carries a totally different meaning, do you see the difference?
    Of course I see the difference. That's why I admitted to not having read it properly. I didn't even realise it was a quote mine. 😕
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 23:58
    One thing I just can't wrap my head around is, why keep all the things in the old testament
    that apparently no longer applies (like stoning for adultery)? And seriously, genesis (?), that
    should have been removed or corrected over a hundred years ago.
    Editing the Bible to be more "socially correct" or perhaps "politically correct" would heap even more derision upon it by unbelievers. Who are you kidding? This is what the world was like back then. I think that's an important message.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree