1. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 15:09
    I've decided I need to increase my own awareness of different religions and cultures.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for good, modern English translations of some major religious texts, e.g. Qur'an, Bible, and others (Buddhism, Hinduism, etc).

Of perhaps a History of religion and spirituality from different perspectives? Or differing theologies?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 15:47
    The Pali Canon ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/index.html ) is the set of teachings generally considered by scholars to represent the historical Buddha's life of teaching. It is massive in its size and profound in its breadth and depth.

After the Buddha's life came to an end, many great practitioners wrote commentary on the Buddha's words and many included their own experience to the mix. These are called shastra. Again, an enormous amount of material.

The link will get you going as to Buddha's original teaching. Feel free to pm me if you want to ask questions or need help.
  3. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 17:16
    Originally posted by PawnCurry
    I've decided I need to increase my own awareness of different religions and cultures.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for good, modern English translations of some major religious texts, e.g. Qur'an, Bible, and others (Buddhism, Hinduism, etc).

Of perhaps a History of religion and spirituality from different perspectives? Or differing theologies?

Thanks in advance.
    The Bible. It has all the answers for every question.
    Or the Qu'ran. It also has all the answers for every question.

I would try to pick up a good Comparitive Religion text. That said, I have no clue as to which one you should purchase. Actually, which one should I purchase?
  4. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 17:24
    Originally posted by telerion

I would try to pick up a good Comparitive Religion text. That said, I have no clue as to which one you should purchase. Actually, which one should I purchase?

They can't both be right, can they? I though the Qur'an states that Jesus is a prophet, but not the Son of God.

I would try to pick up a good Comparitive Religion text.

I think that's what I'm looking for, but haven't got a clue where to begin.

The link will get you going as to Buddha's original teaching. Feel free to pm me if you want to ask questions or need help.

Thanks for the help and info, Eagles54.
  5. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 21:38

Thanks in advance.
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

An interesting look at the origins of modern christianity.

😉
  6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 21:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 21:48
    Originally posted by Pullhard
    The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

An interesting look at the origins of modern christianity.

😉
    If you hadn't winked.... 😉
  8. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 21:521 edit
    Originally posted by Coletti
    If you hadn't winked.... 😉
    I winked to ensure I didn't offend anyone. I'm sure there are people on these forums who would take huge offense to my suggestion. I think all interested in religion should read it though. A great book!
  9. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 21:54
    Originally posted by Pullhard
    I winked to ensure I didn't offend anyone. I'm sure there are people on these forums who would take huge offense to my suggestion. I think all interested in religion should read it though. A great book!
    Are you then un-winking. Then I am offended. 😠
  10. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 22:08

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 22:12
    Check out the "Urantia Book". Pull it up online, and see what you think.
  12. Joined
    17 Jan '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 22:15
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Are you then un-winking. Then I am offended. 😠
    Yes, I am officially un-winking.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    19 Apr '05 23:38
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Wow, the Catholic Church has been all over the Da Vinci Code. And they actually come out and take it apart piece by piece.

Now I believe Catholic doctrine (I really do). But what takes more of a stretch to believe - that Jesus and the Virgin Mary ascended bodily into heaven, or that Mary Magdalene bore Jesus' child and fled to teh south of Franc ...[text shortened]... kept secret and protected by the Priori of Scion.

It's quite a tantalizing tale, indeed.
    But what takes more of a stretch to believe - that Jesus and the Virgin Mary ascended bodily into heaven, or that Mary Magdalene bore Jesus' child and fled to teh south of France?

Good point.
  14. Charlotte, NC
    Moves
    20 Apr '05 04:55

Thanks in advance.
    Kingdom of Cults--Dr. Walter Martin

Among cults and religions included are: Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormonism, New Age Cults, the Unification Church, Baha’i Faith, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, and more.

Has a Christian bias, however

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree