1. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    West Coast Rioter
    tinyurl.com/y7loem9q
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    21 Aug '06 08:143 edits
    A documentary on TV right now named Exodus Decoded by Simcha Jacobovici claims that the "parting of the Red Sea" is correctly translated as the "parting of the reed sea". This means that a lake was parted, not the Red Sea. Anyone know anything about this?

    EDIT - He says the "Reed Sea" was also known as Lake Elbana or something like that which has since been drained by the Suez Canal.

    EDIT 2 - http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn10/redsea_archaeology.htm
  2. Joined
    29 May '06
    Moves
    436
    21 Aug '06 10:46
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    A documentary on TV right now named Exodus Decoded by Simcha Jacobovici claims that the "parting of the Red Sea" is correctly translated as the "parting of the reed sea". This means that a lake was parted, not the Red Sea. Anyone know anything about this?

    EDIT - He says the "Reed Sea" was also known as Lake Elbana or something like that whic ...[text shortened]... uez Canal.

    EDIT 2 - http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn10/redsea_archaeology.htm
    I heard about that. In the doc that I saw it said that the reed sea used to be an area in the north of Egypt that was mostly marshland and that around the time, a massive volcanic eruption occured in Greece, the same one that is said to have destroyed Atlantis. Apparently, This eruption caused an earthquake and a tsunami that spread across the mediterranean. Shorelines in the north of Egypt pulled back, effectively draining ("parting"😉 the reed sea because of the incoming wave and this would have allowed the Isrealites to pass.

    It also said that the reed sea was located in the area now occupied by the Suez.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Joined
    09 Sep '04
    Moves
    59422
    21 Aug '06 13:06
    Penn & Teller mentioned it in the Bull****! episode on the Bible.

    http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2005/09/penn-teller-commentary.php
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    21 Aug '06 15:08
    Originally posted by D3vilBoy
    I heard about that. In the doc that I saw it said that the reed sea used to be an area in the north of Egypt that was mostly marshland and that around the time, a massive volcanic eruption occured in Greece, the same one that is said to have destroyed Atlantis. Apparently, This eruption caused an earthquake and a tsunami that spread across the mediterranean ...[text shortened]... s to pass.

    It also said that the reed sea was located in the area now occupied by the Suez.
    I love how you mention Atlantis like it's nothing.
  5. Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    376
    22 Aug '06 06:03
    i remeber this doc, apparently the translation of the original bible/scriptures from hebrew to english got screwed up either by accident or intention.
  6. SubscriberNumber 6
    Captain Blunder
    London
    Joined
    19 Dec '05
    Moves
    82226
    22 Aug '06 11:21
    'Act of God' by Graham Phillips postulates that the Thera eruption was responsible for many of the biblical catastrophes and remarkable events (including the parting of the reed sea due to tsunami). It's worth a read although whoever proofread it needs shooting.
  7. Joined
    29 May '06
    Moves
    436
    23 Aug '06 06:35
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I love how you mention Atlantis like it's nothing.
    I didn't mention it like it was nothing, I just said that the eruption was the same one that destroyed Atlantis. To be honest, I agree with this theory. It also mentioned that the smoke from the volcano is said to have been the pillar thing the Israelites folllowed. Too bad there wasn't gps in Moses's time. I wouldn't have liked the idea of going on a 40 year long scenic route...
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Joined
    06 Sep '04
    Moves
    25076
    27 Aug '06 00:49
    Originally posted by D3vilBoy
    I just said that the eruption was the same one that destroyed Atlantis.
    😲
Back to Top