1. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 23:05
    Does the world's most common religions have a viewpoint on life on other planets, etc? I was inspired by the "Aliens" thread and I am seriously curious as to what the stance is?
  2. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 23:26
    I'm going to bump my own thread with another serious question on this subject:

I am asking this from a Christian perspective but I do invite all other opinions and beliefs.

If we can, simply for the sake of arguement, assume that there was or is life on other planets do you believe God sent his prophet (being his son or whoever) to these planets to spread His teachings? I assure you I am not being sarcastic in this thread by any means whatsoever.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 01:41
    Originally posted by Joe Fist

I am asking this from a Christian perspective but I do invite all other opinions and beliefs.

If we can, simply for the sake of arguement, assume that there was or is life on other planets do you believe God sent his prophet (being his son or whoever) to these planets to s ...[text shortened]... ad His teachings? I assure you I am not being sarcastic in this thread by any means whatsoever.
    From a Xtian perspective I would say no. But I don't know for sure, would be more honest.
    My reasons would be that God explains Himself in Genesis. He created the heavens and the earth. He also mentions the firmament, etc. So I would say the earth is the arena for His pleasure. He seems to say that He made the stars/firmament for the earth, as well as the sun, and moon.
    Furthermore, if He did create life on other worlds, He does not say.
    If He did, I don't think we would get a surprise "visit" some day. Knowing His attributes from the bible, He would have prepared mankind for such an event. I think He loves man too much. Don't you see the chaos this would entail? Just my thoughts. Will be interesting to see what else comes down the pipeline here.
  4. Standard memberleestatic
    Hristos voskrese
    feckin' 'ell
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 02:02
    well, you'd have thought he would've gave up here and gone elsewhere with a new canvas.
    If at first you don't succeed try try again.
    but i don't think if ET came here they would believe in god, anyway if they came here with all their warp technology and stuff, and made us look stupid with hard evidence of how the universe was actually created would we still believe in god?? i think i've gone off track here
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 03:50

If we can, simply for the sake of arguement, assume that there was or is life on other planets do you believe God sent his prophet (being his son or whoever) to these planets to s ...[text shortened]... ad His teachings? I assure you I am not being sarcastic in this thread by any means whatsoever.
    The religions that believe in reincarnation such as Hinduism and Buddhism do believe that we may reincarnate on other planets. This makes sense because the worlds population is growing exponentially. Apparently souls from other planets may reincarnate here. Their goal is to get out of the life cycle, or at least reincarnate on a better planet, one that is more spiritually developed that is.

As far as I know the Bible doesn't get into it. I could be wrong though.
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 07:16

I honestly dont know if there is life on another planet.

There could be. I think that if there is life on another planet, it wont be aliens, but humans.
  7. Colorado
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 07:28
    Originally posted by Nicolaas

There could be. I think that if there is life on another planet, it wont be aliens, but humans.
    Why just humans?
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 08:23
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    Why just humans?
    god only has one image ,,? lol
  9. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 08:32

The creation account implies the earth to be the only planet with life.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 08:35
    Originally posted by Halitose
    The creation account implies the earth to be the only planet with life.
    Yes, well, mightn't those extra-terrestrials have their own holy books too? The creation account doesn't mention the existence of other planets at all.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 08:39
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Yes, well, mightn't those extra-terrestrials have their own holy books too? The creation account doesn't mention the existence of other planets at all.
    Hypothetically, yes.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    21 Oct '05 11:31
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Hypothetically, yes.
    What criteria would you use to establish the veracity of an alien's holy book?
  13. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 05:16
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    From a Xtian perspective I would say no. But I don't know for sure, would be more honest.
    My reasons would be that God explains Himself in Genesis. He created the heavens and the earth. He also mentions the firmament, etc. So I would say the earth is the arena for His pleasure. He seems to say that He made the stars/firmament for the earth, as well as ...[text shortened]... uld entail? Just my thoughts. Will be interesting to see what else comes down the pipeline here.
    Fair enough but, as mentioned in the movie Contact it seems like an awful waste of space (the millions of other galaxies, planets, etc) if there was not some sort of other form of life.

Here's just an idea and something to ponder: What if the Christ was actually a visitor from another world that was called "Heaven"? What if Jesus was actually an alien and the Bible was actually some sort of textbook of how mankind should behave?
  14. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 05:17
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    The religions that believe in reincarnation such as Hinduism and Buddhism do believe that we may reincarnate on other planets. This makes sense because the worlds population is growing exponentially. Apparently souls from other planets may reincarnate here. Their goal is to get out of the life cycle, or at least reincarnate on a better planet, one ...[text shortened]... developed that is.

As far as I know the Bible doesn't get into it. I could be wrong though.
    Interesting theory. Thanks 🙂
  15. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Moves
    24 Oct '05 05:18
    Originally posted by Nicolaas

So from your perspective and assuming that is true do you think Jesus enlightened those inhabitants on other planets (other humans) with Christianity?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree