1. Joined
    15 Apr '07
    Moves
    31 May '08 15:56
    The following link is to an article about a recent problem in a High School in Wisconsin.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/madison-wi/TJERFB5J3APVF59IL

Reading this made me wonder...
    How much religion should be allowed in schools? Should students be able to express their beliefs? How much religion should teachers be able to teach?
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    31 May '08 17:04
    Originally posted by Mungi The Fungi
    The following link is to an article about a recent problem in a High School in Wisconsin.

How much religion should be allowed in schools? Should students be able to express their beliefs? How much religion should teachers be able to teach?
    None. I am a regular church going person, I have a very deep faith in God, but I don't think public school is the place to teach religion, unless it is a nonbiased comparitive religion course as an elective.
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 May '08 17:21

No religion should be taught outside of a comparative religions class.

That doesn't mean that a kid should be punished for drawing a religious symbol though.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 May '08 17:442 edits
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    That doesn't mean that a kid should be punished for drawing a religious symbol though.
    What about a Buddhist swastika? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika)
  5. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    31 May '08 18:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What about a Buddhist swastika? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika)
    What about it?
  6. The sky
    Moves
    31 May '08 20:36
    No religion should be taught outside of a comparative religions class.

I agree on both points. How on earth does "his religious expression infringe on other students' rights"?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 03:23
    In the 1950's the worst thing a kid in school could do was to chew gum in class and a few other minor things.
    Then in 1961 and 62 the supreme court outlawed prayer and the pledge of allegiance. Now days our children are murdering each other.

No, let's not go back to teaching religion and morals and pride in our country. After all, this is the worst nation on earth, and we are a corrupt and immoral people.

Let's not offend anyone, even if it means doing the wrong thing!

I think it's time to dispense psychosomatic drugs for this epidemic schizophrenia that plagues this land.
  8. Seattle
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 04:15

i think just as much as the faith (and yes it takes just as much faith) of evolution is taught. They are both valid theories, both of which have shaky starting ground and are both creation THEORIES
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 04:331 edit
    Originally posted by c guy1
    i think just as much as the faith (and yes it takes just as much faith) of evolution is taught. They are both valid theories, both of which have shaky starting ground and are both creation THEORIES
    Then you are as well informed about science as most rocks.

Evolution is backed by lots and lots and lots of empirical evidence.

Also, you don't understand the word Theory.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 04:351 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    In the 1950's the worst thing a kid in school could do was to chew gum in class and a few other minor things.
    Then in 1961 and 62 the supreme court outlawed prayer and the pledge of allegiance. Now days our children are murdering each other.

No, let's not go back to teaching religion and morals and pride in our country. After all, this is the worst natio time to dispense psychosomatic drugs for this epidemic schizophrenia that plagues this land.
    Rubbish, the teaching of relgion and prayer in schools has nothing to do with the American perchant for violence.

(many of the worst violent acts in US school history were conducted before prayer in schools was abolished.)
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 12:22
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Rubbish, the teaching of relgion and prayer in schools has nothing to do with the American perchant for violence.

(many of the worst violent acts in US school history were conducted before prayer in schools was abolished.)
    You're wrong. It was never like it is today. I know my American history, and we are no more violent than any other nation. As a matter of fact it's quite peaceful here. The acts of violence you would obviously list are isolated and perpetuated by a relatively few, and is not representative of the vast majority of Americans.

Don't knock my country. It's the greatest nation that ever existed. Any attempt to say otherwise would be a display of ignorance.

I will say this though. The culture in this country has been virtually ruined. It's ruin has been brought about by a Godless liberal agenda. I know I'm right. I have first hand experience. I've observed it's decline these past 40 years.
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 18:24
    You're wrong. It was never like it is today. I know my American history, and we are no more violent than any other nation. As a matter of fact it's quite peaceful here. The acts of violence you would obviously list are isolated and perpetuated by a relatively few, and is not representative of the vast majority of Americans.

Don't knock my country. It's th ...[text shortened]... I'm right. I have first hand experience. I've observed it's decline these past 40 years.
    Sounds like a good case of confirmation bias.

You see the removal of prayer from schools and now everything bad that comes after that must be caused by that.

You claim this country is the greatest in the world, but it has apparently been ruined by a "godless liberal agenda".

I'd personally rather it not be ruined by a godful theocratic agenda.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 19:13
    Don't knock my country. It's the greatest nation that ever existed. Any attempt to say otherwise would be a display of ignorance.
    Was it the greatest nation that ever existed from the date of independence, or did it become so at a later stage, and if so, when exactly?
  14. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 19:22
    Lots of utter rubbish to wade through. I taught in parochial schools for 8 years -- talk about prayer and religion in school! We still had our share of sociopaths, horrid parents, cruel children, etc. These were families that showed up in church every week, donated, etc. Religion and morals education is irrelevant. What matters is the actual parenting.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jun '08 21:12
    Sounds like a good case of confirmation bias.

You see the removal of prayer from schools and now everything bad that comes after that must be caused by that.

You claim this country is the greatest in the world, but it has apparently been ruined by a "godless liberal agenda".

I'd personally rather it not be ruined by a godful theocratic agenda.
    "You see the removal of prayer from schools and now everything bad that comes after that must be caused by that."

No I don't. Don't make rash assumptions. It's a good deal more complicated than that. Why is it so easy to be taken out of context around here? My remarks were specifically directed toward another idea in another post.

"I'd personally rather it not be ruined by a godful theocratic agenda."

Me either. But it is plain to see the effects of 40 years of liberal democratic rule. And the republicans are just as much to blame.
    Don't forget to throw Hollywood into it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree