1. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 12:10
    or that religion has anything to do with it.[/b]
    Faith based beliefs are unfounded, and people who are beguiled by religion are more likely to be beguiled elsewhere.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 12:26
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Faith based beliefs are unfounded, and people who are beguiled by religion are more likely to be beguiled elsewhere.
    so people who are stupid and don't know how to operate a chainsaw are not to blame if they cut off their leg? it is really the company who produced the chainsaw fault.

if you take away religion people who were "beguiled" by it will be beguiled by conmen, commercials, teleshopping channels, etc. who's fault is it? it is easier to blame a violent program for a child bringing uzis into school and starting firing. when parents are the ones to blame, people who allowed the guns there and simply the kids who were fuked up.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 12:51
    I am glad to hear that you are placing religion on the level with conmen and teleshopping.
  4. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 13:004 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    so people who are stupid and don't know how to operate a chainsaw are not to blame if they cut off their leg? it is really the company who produced the chainsaw fault.

if you take away religion people who were "beguiled" by it will be beguiled by conmen, commercials, teleshopping channels, etc. who's fault is it? it is easier to blame a violent program ...[text shortened]... the ones to blame, people who allowed the guns there and simply the kids who were fuked up.
    So are you saying that it is the fault of the religious people themselves that they are religious and NOT ever the religion itself?

-if yes, then, assuming it is correct to blame somebody for their own delusions, I think I would generally agree with that -except I am not entirely certain that it is the ‘fault’ of the delusional person that he is delusional for I think we all have only a limited control over the way we think.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 13:40
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    So are you saying that it is the fault of the religious people themselves that they are religious and NOT ever the religion itself?

-if yes, then, assuming it is correct to blame somebody for their own delusions, I think I would generally agree with that -except I am not entirely certain that it is the ‘fault’ of the delusional person that he is delusional for I think we all have only a limited control over the way we think.
    you probably think that religion is to blame in the same degree that the parents of a serial killer are to blame. yes, that is true. our actions are influenced in some manner by all sorts of factors. serial killers who didn't get enough love from their parents end up doing a killing spree. but there are others who don't react so with even less love. so it is wrong to assume the parents are responsible for our actions.

who is naive enough to think that were bush atheist he would not have invaded iraq or afghanistan?

"So are you saying that it is the fault of the religious people themselves that they are religious and NOT ever the religion itself?"
    no, i am saying we are all responsible for our actions. assigning blame to others means we are dodging responsibility. religious people of course are to blame for being religious i think what you mean is whether religious people are to blame for their actions and never the religion.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 13:41
    I am glad to hear that you are placing religion on the level with conmen and teleshopping.
    i am glad that it is confirmed you would twist words so that your view on religions is stated once again.
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 14:32
    Religion is dangerous because it makes it easier to believe in the irrational. that is, if you can believe in one thing with no proof such as the virgin birth, it makes it easier to believe in other nonsense as well. George Bush, for example, believes you can prevent pregnancy by not handing out condoms.
    electricity is damgerous as well, and you can't see it, smell it, taste it,hear it, etc...doesn't mean it isn't real.
  8. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 16:01
    Originally posted by duecer
    electricity is damgerous as well, and you can't see it, smell it, taste it,hear it, etc...doesn't mean it isn't real.
    If you have everr been hit by lightning, you would know that electricity is real and tangible, unlike religion
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 16:55
    If you have everr been hit by lightning, you would know that electricity is real and tangible, unlike religion
    Religion is a concept, and so is electricity, electricity is the name given to the flow of charged particles (usually electrons), religion is the name given to particular types of group behavior of homosapiens. If you'd ever been tied to a stake and burned to death you would know that religion is real and tangible......

Get my point? Fairly pointless sidetrack, we give a name to a phenomenum so we can talk about it, religion is an awfully big thing, the fact that it is not one cogent entity does not mean it isn't a thing that can be talked about, and doesn't mean it isn't just as real as 'electricity'.
  10. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 17:57
    If you've ever been to my church's baked bean and ham supper, you would understand tangible😛
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 18:45
    Originally posted by duecer
    If you've ever been to my church's baked bean and ham supper, you would understand tangible😛
    As do alter boys in the Catholic church.
  12. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 18:54
    Religion is only dangerous when taken too seriously. Matter of fact for most
    things in life.
  13. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 21:00
    Originally posted by Jigtie
    Religion is only dangerous when taken too seriously. Matter of fact for most
    things in life.
    Religion is dangerous because it creates an atmosphere where irrational behavior is acceptable.
  14. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 22:50
    Religion is dangerous because it creates an atmosphere where irrational behavior is acceptable.
    broad sweeping generalization's are not a valid argument
  15. At the Revolution
    Moves
    22 Jul '08 00:38
    Religion is dangerous because it makes it easier to believe in the irrational. that is, if you can believe in one thing with no proof such as the virgin birth, it makes it easier to believe in other nonsense as well. George Bush, for example, believes you can prevent pregnancy by not handing out condoms.
    I believe that the Virgin Mary conceived of Jesus because Zeus commanded Yahweh commanded God to tell Allah to get the flying monkeys to impregnate her, and then the monkeys were all turned into pwink fwuffy bunnies that laid eggs under pine trees twice a year. Christ was born 4-6 years before Christ was born, then the turkey conceived of Pontias Pilate, who killed Christ 4-6 years before the death of Christ. Then some guys wrote a book about it and it became the Greatest Story Ever Told.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree