1. Maryland
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 17:52
    Religion is dangerous because it makes it easier to believe in the irrational. that is, if you can believe in one thing with no proof such as the virgin birth, it makes it easier to believe in other nonsense as well. George Bush, for example, believes you can prevent pregnancy by not handing out condoms.
  2. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 18:36
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Religion is dangerous because it makes it easier to believe in the irrational. that is, if you can believe in one thing with no proof such as the virgin birth, it makes it easier to believe in other nonsense as well. George Bush, for example, believes you can prevent pregnancy by not handing out condoms.
    George Bush believes you can prevent pregnancy by not having sex, big difference.
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 18:56
    Religion is like most other things - in and of itself, it's not inheretly dangerous. How it is purported to be used is another thing entirely. And like most things, put religion in the hands of an idiot and you're going to get idiotic results.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 19:18
    Originally posted by dryhump
    George Bush believes you can prevent pregnancy by not having sex, big difference.
    George Bush believes you can convince horny teenagers from not having sex, this is more dumb than 'peace with the fish' (did he really say that? really???)
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 19:29
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Religion is like most other things - in and of itself, it's not inheretly dangerous. How it is purported to be used is another thing entirely. And like most things, put religion in the hands of an idiot and you're going to get idiotic results.
    That depends, Religion is by definition at odds with rational thought, which is the building block behind science, and is the base root of the friction between science and religion (or more correctly some scientists and some religious and/or non-rational people). However, being rational all the time is really boring and counter productive (most art and culture is very irrational), thus the problem is where people can't tell where to be rational, and where not to be. Religion IS dangerous when it says it can tell you about subjects best described by rational enquiry, and where it discourages rational thought. You don't have to be an idiot to be religious and/or irrational, in fact it's usually the cleaver theologians who cause the trouble.
  6. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 20:06
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    That depends, Religion is by definition at odds with rational thought, which is the building block behind science, and is the base root of the friction between science and religion (or more correctly some scientists and some religious and/or non-rational people). However, being rational all the time is really boring and counter productive (most art and c ...[text shortened]... igious and/or irrational, in fact it's usually the cleaver theologians who cause the trouble.
    Umm, no. Religion doesn't behave irrationally; people do. Religion doesn't irrationally inform; people irrationally accept and interpret. And for every generalized assertion you'd care to make, I have a generalized retort.

Religion is not inheretly dangerous. No one can hurt me through religious means, it is by other means. If you physically hit me, then that's you hitting me and you are dangerous to me, not religion. Religion is used as a poor excuse for irrational behavior and thought, and and is the scapegoat of blame to those who would oppose the mindset of what they think is irrational, but allow the means to conduct the irrational. You will find the irrational in all walks of this existence, including science.
  7. Maryland
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 20:25
    Religion is not inheretly dangerous.
    Religion is inherently silly. and some believers do really dangerous things, like deny their children medical care or refuse life saving blood transfusions, or exorcise their children (sometimes leading to death), or drink out of the same cup at communion, thus spreading herpes, or mutilating genitals., or flying jets into buildings etc.......
  8. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 21:52
    Is this well documented as well?
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 22:32
    Originally posted by dryhump
    It didn't work for MaryπŸ˜•
  10. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 22:33
    Originally posted by duecer
    It didn't work for MaryπŸ˜•
    There's always the exception to the rule πŸ˜‰
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 22:362 edits
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Umm, no. Religion doesn't behave irrationally; people do. Religion doesn't irrationally inform; people irrationally accept and interpret. And for every generalized assertion you'd care to make, I have a generalized retort.

Religion is not inheretly dangerous. No one can hurt me through religious means, it is by other means. If you physically hit me, then irrational. You will find the irrational in all walks of this existence, including science.
    I didn't say 'religion' behaves irrationally, I said religion is at odds with rationality. The reason I said this is that ALL religions at some point have have irrational, unproven, evidence-less, blind faith somewhere in them, the amount varies but is to my knowledge always there. This means that religions have irrationality somewhere at their core, which puts them at odds with science which does have rationality at it's core. I didn't however go on to say that this made religion inherently dangerous, in fact my first words were the equivocal 'it depends'.

To clarify, I would say that Religion is mostly dangerous.
    To clarify further (second edit :-)) I would say that generalised Irrationality is dangerous, I don't restrict this to religions, I have no problem with, and see the value to, Irrational thought in the right circumstances, but allowing it to spread too far is dangerous.

Plus I ask you to prove that you can come up with a generalised retort to every generalised comment I could possibly make ;-)
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 01:31
    George Bush, for example, believes you can prevent pregnancy by not handing out condoms.[/b]
    That's nothing. Bill Clinton thinks you can prevent pregnancy by passing out cigars. πŸ˜›
  13. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 11:56
    Originally posted by whodey
    That's nothing. Bill Clinton thinks you can prevent pregnancy by passing out cigars. πŸ˜›
    Your remark is not cogent. Besides, the teen pregnancy rate went down under Clinton and up under W, again proving the danger of taking action based on faith instead of fact.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 12:00
    stupidity is dangerous. religion is not responsible for stupid people. stupid people would act stupid even if they would be atheists. you seem to be under the misguided impression that all idiots are religious. or that religion has anything to do with it.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Jul '08 12:04
    [b]Your remark is not cogent.
    I was'nt trying to be cogent I was trying to be funny. :'(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree