1. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 15:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think RBHILL means that he does not believe Christianity requires a Christian to do ceremonial religious activities superstitiously like someone that must have their lucky hat or socks or cross on when they pray. Or some Romans Catholics that must count Rosary beads and recite certain words over and over a certain number of times. Or some that have to go ...[text shortened]... a certain direction while praying. A Christian is free to do these things or not as he pleases.
    I recon you are right all the things you type are religious activities that us Christians are free from the bondage of doing this to please a God.
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 15:11
    Originally posted by Nick Bourbaki
    I don't think that was what he meant because he said "See worshiping God in spirit and in truth has nothing to do with religion." There is no mention of "ceremonies" or "lucky hats". He specifically mentions "worshipping","God", "spirit" and "truth" as perceived by Christians. This is "religion" front and centre. To suggest that they have "nothing to d ...[text shortened]... h religion" is nonsensical and just a kind of vocabulary-twisting rhetoric rooted in enthusiasm.
    You are wrong. Spirit and truth have nothing to do with religious activities.

Example I worship God for the job that I have by doing it for him. But not as a requirement to please him for some reward.
  3. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 16:08
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    You are wrong. Spirit and truth have nothing to do with religious activities.
    It's interesting that you are now dropping some of the words from the specific sequence of words that was being discussed. Is it deliberate on your part?

You specifically mentioned the following combination of words: "worshipping","God", "spirit" and "truth" and I presume you are using these words as they are perceived and defined by Christians. You cannot claim they have nothing to do with religion.

And I haven't used the word "activities". RJHinds introduced the word, not me. I am addressing what you claimed in your third post on page 1, not something RJHinds said.
  4. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 16:12
    Example I worship God for the job that I have by doing it for him. But not as a requirement to please him for some reward.
    Do you "worship God" as a Christian ~ and use terms of reference that you share in common with other members of your religion ~ or do you "worship God" in some sort of generic theist or deist way?
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 16:13
    It's interesting that you are now dropping some of the words from the specific sequence of words that was being discussed. Is it deliberate on your part?

You specifically mentioned the following combination of words: "worshipping","God", "spirit" and "truth" and I presume you are using these words as they are perceived and defined by Christians. Yo ...[text shortened]... t me. I am addressing what you claimed in your third post on page 1, not something RJHinds said.
    Nope not really. Just what comes to mind at the time. Look if there is a true God it is not really a religion to trust in HIM.
  6. Standard memberNick Bourbaki
    Son of FMF
    In front of the TV
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 16:21
    Nope not really. Just what comes to mind at the time. Look if there is a true God it is not really a religion to trust in HIM.
    The pursuit of a "true God", defining what "true"means when used this way, defining what "trust" means, what it is based on and what it entails and what the consequences are for placing "trust" in "Him", absolutely are religion. And these kinds of pursuits are being made by billions of people all around the world in various ways and in various contexts, and it's been going on for millennia. You don't get to declare that your religion "is not really a religion". 🙂
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Mar '14 23:56
    Look, there is this current trend among Christians to say I love God but I hate religion, or I hate organized religion, or some such baloney. Must I remind Christians that Christianity is indeed "a religion". Do not fall into the secular trap of denying the word religion because of all the bad things that they have associated with it. Yes, there was the Crusades, yes, there was the Inquisition, yes, there have been evil men associated with religion down through the ages. This does not merit throwing the baby out with the bathwater and calling all religion bad. Religion is not bad. It is the evil men who hide behind religion that are bad. The evil associated with religion down through the ages is the evil that MEN do, not religion in itself.
  8. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 20:11
    Religion that God Accepts. . .

King James Version
    ===================
    Hebrews 11: 6
    But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 20:32
    Look if there is a true God it is not really a religion to trust in HIM.
    ... if there is a true god .... = ... if a god exists ...

Would that be a fair interpretation?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Mar '14 22:31

You specifically mentioned the following combination of words: "worshipping","God", "spirit" and "truth" and I presume you are using these words as they are perceived and defined by Christians. Yo ...[text shortened]... t me. I am addressing what you claimed in your third post on page 1, not something RJHinds said.
    Worship in spirit and in truth are words Jesus said to a Samaritan women that was drawing water from Jacob's well.

The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.”

Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

The woman said to Him, “I know that Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When He comes, He will tell us all things.”

Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am He.”

(John 4:19-26 NKJV)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree