1. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 20:59
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    This is a difficult medium for me because a lot of nonverbal information is lost. I'm sorry that I took your comment somewhat literally.
    No problem you never know unless you ask. I am on a quest for wisdom but I will not attain it unless I know all or as many points a view, from all people.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 21:091 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    There is nothing essentially wrong with this cognitive supposition "I am right"; why would anyone believe in something they thought was wrong? Atheists here consistently assert their claim that they are right, don't they...? We ALL believe we are right.
    Having belief X is true does not justify saying "I'm right that X is true". One can have belief in a proposition yet be unsure as to whether it is true or not.

Do I believe that no gods exist? Yes
    Is this belief true? unknown - there is no way to conclusively prove it eitherway...perhaps some god no one has ever thought about actually exists

Do I believe there does not exist a god that created the earth ~6000 years ago? Yes
    Is this belief true? Assuming that physical evidence contradicting a ~6000 year old earth is reliable then this belief is true given the assumption is true.
  3. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 21:38
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Having belief X is true does not justify saying "I'm right that X is true". One can have belief in a proposition yet be unsure as to whether it is true or not.

[b]Do I believe that no gods exist?
    Yes
    Is this belief true? unknown - there is no way to conclusively prove it eitherway...perhaps some god no one has ever thought about actually exists ...[text shortened]... ing a ~6000 year old earth is reliable then this belief is true given the assumption is true.[/b]
    Leaving aside that you should probably be doing your applied complex analysis* homework... 🙂

Let p = Jesus rose from the dead.

If Jones believes p then Jones holds that it is the case that p. Logically, if I believe that ¬p then Jones believes that I'm wrong. This does not mean necessarily that Jones is sure that everything she believes is the case. If she is not, she is faced with the paradox of the preface. We do love consistency, but alas, from afar...

* other first semester courses available...
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 22:001 edit
    Originally posted by realeyez
    Why do people have such a hard time hearing other peoples opinion on this subject when they dont see eye to eye. I believe in Jesus, if the next man doesn't then he doesn't soooo, what about this topic creates such hostility? I am interested in hearing the opinions of my fellow chess players. So please what are your thoughts.

BTW by me saying I believe i ...[text shortened]... ive my question. So who wants to share if no one, thats fine as well just thought I would ask.
    i really think that most belief is unsubstantiated and becomes like a type of personal opinion thus being without reason, persons have no recourse to anything but sentiment, when challenged, they naturally become emotional rather than reasonable. This has been my experience.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 22:093 edits
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    Leaving aside that you should probably be doing your applied complex analysis* homework... 🙂

Let p = Jesus rose from the dead.

If Jones believes p then Jones holds that it is the case that p. Logically, if I believe that ¬p then Jones believes that I'm wrong. This does not mean necessarily that Jones is sure that everything she believes is the cas ...[text shortened]... . We do love consistency, but alas, from afar...

* other first semester courses available...
    I'm intrigued as to your comment about applied complex analysis...alas, that was last year. I'm currently tearing my remaining hairs out getting Matlab to work for me instead of I working for it! :]

But regarding Jones, he would be ok to say he believes you are wrong...to say you *are* wrong however is surely to suggest his 'belief' about p is no longer a belief. ie: p is instead true and he (or someone else) has the capacity (somehow) to demonstrate this..
  6. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 22:19
    I have noticed something almost everyone for the most part is stuck on the whole "Im not saying Im right" thing. The whole subject itself isnt even the topic. I have noticed that this happens alot. I is there a point to be proved? I will explain that comment now in hopes that the subject as a whole can be touched on. In earlier posts I made statement that I believe in Jesus, the comments I recieved back were poeple thinking that by my statement I was saying I was better than people who dont believe or that I was right and since they dont believe as I do they were wrong. So that comment I made here was an attmept to stop that from happening. Thats all no else to it. Have a great day to all who read this
  7. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 22:28
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I'm intrigued as to your comment about applied complex analysis...alas, that was last year. I'm currently tearing my remaining hairs out getting Matlab to work for me instead of I working for it! :]

But regarding Jones, he would be ok to say he believes you are wrong...to say you *are* wrong however is surely to suggest his 'belief' about p is no longer a belief. ie: p is instead true and he has the capacity (somehow) to demonstrate this..
    Well I just guessed as to what you might be doing since third year is optional...my point stands though, which is that I'm sure you are on top of your workload..🙂

As for Jones, I'm not clear what you mean by 'belief'. For me, to believe p is to hold that p is true. Look up Ramsey's Ladder.
  8. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 22:33
    I have noticed something almost everyone for the most part is stuck on the whole "Im not saying Im right" thing. The whole subject itself isnt even the topic. I have noticed that this happens alot. I is there a point to be proved? I will explain that comment now in hopes that the subject as a whole can be touched on. In earlier posts I made statement that I ...[text shortened]... pt to stop that from happening. Thats all no else to it. Have a great day to all who read this
    If you notice that almost everyone is 'stuck' then maybe you should consider whether almost everyone has a point?

The thing is, I can believe you are wrong about something, without thinking I'm better than you. The two things are separable. Do you see?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 01:29
    The "I am right" comment was made for ThinkingOfOne, (s)he was convinced that I was trying to say I am and all of who disagree was wrong. So Jesus is right for me, I not forcing anyone to say He is right for them. People can accept Him if they wish or not. It's choice. Sorry if that caused any confusion
    Actually what I said was the following about your "Jesus is Lord" thread and your subsequent calling out of those who exhibit an "I'm right you're wrong mentality":
    You might want to consider that proclaiming "Jesus is Lord. The King of kings and the Lord of lords. I Love You" with no other content, you are in effect exhibiting an "Im[sic] right your[sic] wrong mentality".

I hope you can understand the distinction between the above situation and what you posted in your OP on this thread. I wouldn't have said anything about that.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 01:431 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i really think that most belief is unsubstantiated and becomes like a type of personal opinion thus being without reason, persons have no recourse to anything but sentiment, when challenged, they naturally become emotional rather than reasonable. This has been my experience.
    This is really rich coming from you. It's remarkable how far removed you are from reality. You routinely exhibit a complete breakdown of being able to reason when you are challenged. Quite often your posts have disintegrated into complete and utter incoherency. Your latest was a blanket rejection of the dictionary definition of "endorse" and explicit statements from Leviticus 25 in order to preserve your belief system. You really should seek professional help.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 05:17
    I have noticed something almost everyone for the most part is stuck on the whole "Im not saying Im right" thing. The whole subject itself isnt even the topic.
    avalanchethecat already summed up quite nicely the answer to your main question. ie we invest quite a lot into our beliefs and many of our life decisions would be rendered 'bad decisions' at best if our beliefs were proved wrong. So we become very protective of our beliefs.
    I took up the "I'm right, you're wrong" issue, because you will not fully get avalanchethecat's point unless you realize that by simply stating that you believe something different from me, you are essentially saying you think I am wrong. That may be enough to threaten my beliefs and thus trigger a defensive reaction.

I must point out that a similar situation (regarding defensiveness) exist when it comes to love and relationships. Quite often we believe we love someone and we get into a relationship with them and invest a whole lot of time, money and emotion into the relationship and if anyone tells us that its not going to work, or the other person is not right for us or not good for us - we get really defensive (and can be quite irrational in our defenses).
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 08:083 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    This is really rich coming from you. It's remarkable how far removed you are from reality. You routinely exhibit a complete breakdown of being able to reason when you are challenged. Quite often your posts have disintegrated into complete and utter incoherency. Your latest was a blanket rejection of the dictionary definition of "endorse" and explicit stat ...[text shortened]... viticus 25 in order to preserve your belief system. You really should seek professional help.
    umm what is it about not becoming emotionally involved that yet evades you? have i not tried to reason with you, to provide a scriptural basis and reject your assertions on that very basis. I only disintegrate into nonsense when i cannot be bothered and all recourse to reason has been exhausted. Why you keep harping on about Leviticus is also quite a nonsense, for we are no longer under the Mosaic Law, unless of course you are willing to argue that i should also like to offer up some sheep as a guilt offering on my way up to Jerusalem to celebrate the passover! at the temple, that was levelled by the Romans in 70 CE
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 08:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Why you keep harping on about Leviticus is also quite a nonsense, for we are no longer under the Mosaic Law,
    My guess would be he wants to know whether you justify the Mosaic law as being from God and being just at the time. Whether or not you are under Mosaic law now is a separate issue.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 09:022 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    My guess would be he wants to know whether you justify the Mosaic law as being from God and being just at the time. Whether or not you are under Mosaic law now is a separate issue.
    No its not a separate issue, for he has directly attempted to draw a correlation between my acceptance of the Law as somehow being akin to my acceptance of slavery, please tell him that as i stated to Caissa at the outset, i have my own conscience in this regard. Indeed now that i am no longer under law, i would be pleased if you would explain what relevance a practice that was permitted almost three thousand years ago has with my ability to exercise my conscience to discern what is good and what is not. If there is no basis, then why is he harping on about it? if there is a basis, then what is it?
  15. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Oct '10 13:20
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Actually what I said was the following about your "Jesus is Lord" thread and your subsequent calling out of those who exhibit an "I'm right you're wrong mentality":
    [quote]You might want to consider that proclaiming "Jesus is Lord. The King of kings and the Lord of lords. I Love You" with no other content, you are in effect exhibiting an "Im[sic] right y ...[text shortened]... what you posted in your OP on this thread. I wouldn't have said anything about that.
    You really comment don't you, to each his own I guess. Have a great day.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree