1. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 23:13
    Why do people have such a hard time hearing other peoples opinion on this subject when they dont see eye to eye. I believe in Jesus, if the next man doesn't then he doesn't soooo, what about this topic creates such hostility? I am interested in hearing the opinions of my fellow chess players. So please what are your thoughts.

BTW by me saying I believe in Jesus, I am not saying Im right your wrong. I am just curious as to what I am going to read, religion has been the start of many wars and battles. Countless lives lost, power struggles the list goes. Since no one to my knowledge in this chat room has nothing to gain. No power, or armies to gain any world control I am wondering the motivation of such heat arguements? I am looking for insight, every arguement has a peaceful answer, so I am trying to find the source of the arguement I guess. That way peace and understanding where both parties are coming from can be found. I am not trying to judge anyone if that is how it comes across.

I have read some heartless comments (I have said some mean thing myself in the past but I have apologized for those already) within this forum, so I just thought I would ask. I have nothing hidden, no secret thoughts to motive my question. So who wants to share if no one, thats fine as well just thought I would ask.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Oct '10 23:44
    Originally posted by realeyez
    Why do people have such a hard time hearing other peoples opinion on this subject when they dont see eye to eye. I believe in Jesus, if the next man doesn't then he doesn't soooo, what about this topic creates such hostility? I am interested in hearing the opinions of my fellow chess players. So please what are your thoughts.

BTW by me saying I believe i ...[text shortened]... ive my question. So who wants to share if no one, thats fine as well just thought I would ask.
    Because the world hates Jesus. Remember what Jesus said?

Other than that, we just like to argue and call each other names. πŸ˜‰
  3. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 00:10

BTW by me saying I believe i ...[text shortened]... ive my question. So who wants to share if no one, thats fine as well just thought I would ask.
    I think it is touchy because religion helps people deal with emotionally eruptive existential issues whilst ostensibly being a declaration about how the universe works on a fundamental level. So if your view is incompatible with mine, then the logical consequence is that one of us is wrong, and that potentially delivers a double whammy since if it is me, and you demonstrate that, then not only have I lost my mechanism for dealing with the abyss, I have done so by being exposed as somebody who doesn't know what's going on in a fundamental way.

Do you see?

BTW by me saying I believe in Jesus, I am not saying Im right your wrong.
    Yeah right...πŸ™‚
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 00:19
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    I think it is touchy because religion helps people deal with emotionally eruptive existential issues whilst ostensibly being a declaration about how the universe works on a fundamental level. So if your view is incompatible with mine, then the logical consequence is that one of us is wrong, and that potentially delivers a double whammy since if it is me, ...[text shortened]... BTW by me saying I believe in Jesus, I am not saying Im right your wrong.
    Yeah right...πŸ™‚[/b]
    "I think it is touchy because religion helps people deal with emotionally eruptive existential issues..."

Religion should be outlawed. It is useless, except as a crutch for people who think they can do something for God. As if God needed anything.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 05:09
    I want to read the responses they deleteπŸ™‚
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 14:29

Because ...some people invest a great deal in their spiritual belief. The longer one cleaves to such belief, the greater the investment. If you suggest that such belief may be based on fiction or misunderstanding, you may be perceived as suggesting that the basis for their life-choices is erroneous, and consequently defensive behaviour may occur which may be hostile in nature - particularly where logical inconsistency is highlighted... surely you already knew this before you opened the thread?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 15:07
    Why do people have such a hard time hearing other peoples opinion on this subject when they dont see eye to eye.
    I think avalanchethecat has nailed it perfectly.

I believe in Jesus, if the next man doesn't then he doesn't soooo, what about this topic creates such hostility?
    Well what do you mean by 'I believe in Jesus'? Do you believe that everyone else who doesn't is probably going to hell?
    Do you believe that Muslims have got it all wrong? Do you see us atheists as being insulting to God and Jesus when we say they don't exist?
    Do you see us as insulting your intelligence when we tell you that God doesn't exist?
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 15:34
    Originally posted by Lord Shark

BTW by me saying I believe in Jesus, I am not saying Im right your wrong.
    Yeah right...πŸ™‚[/b]
    You must not have met all the Christians in the world, eh mate? See, some of us have no intentions of superiority over ANYONE, whether you believe in Christ or not. The Bill Maher's of the world have this paranoid idea that Christians (and religious people in general) feel that we are somehow superior to atheists--that we "have a channel in our brain that atheists do not possess." That's simply stupid.

I believe in God, his Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.
    I like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and German Chocolate cake.

If you do not agree with or like any of the above, to think that I somehow place myself above you is ridiculous. And paranoid.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 18:29
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    You must not have met all the Christians in the world, eh mate? See, some of us have no intentions of superiority over ANYONE, whether you believe in Christ or not.
    He didn't say anything about superiority. He was referring to the 'I'm right and you are wrong' statement. Surely we all think we are right and anyone else with conflicting beliefs is wrong. By saying 'I believe ...' that is essentially what you are claiming.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 19:212 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    He didn't say anything about superiority. He was referring to the 'I'm right and you are wrong' statement. Surely we all think we are right and anyone else with conflicting beliefs is wrong. By saying 'I believe ...' that is essentially what you are claiming.
    There is nothing essentially wrong with this cognitive supposition "I am right"; why would anyone believe in something they thought was wrong? Atheists here consistently assert their claim that they are right, don't they...? We ALL believe we are right.
  11. Joined
    14 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 19:58
    probably relgion is a gaurded personal safety zone and when we are confronted our emotions kick in shutting down some good brainspace which would be useful in an intelligent discussion you gotta hand it to brainwashing methods used by say the jdubs where they deny truth ie their triumphant predictions of the end of the world 1914 15 etc etc the catholic stance on our ladies utterences the popes infallability redneck fundamentalism christian or muslim if you want not to be so touchy study your religion its founders its objective history i personally like the one where the leader claimed to be Gods son was killed as a sacrifice for us all if you want to throttle me or blow my house up your not ready maybe you can challenge me in a game of chess instead
  12. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 20:43
    Originally posted by divegeester
    There is nothing essentially wrong with this cognitive supposition "I am right"; why would anyone believe in something they thought was wrong? Atheists here consistently assert their claim that they are right, don't they...? We ALL believe we are right.
    The "I am right" comment was made for ThinkingOfOne, (s)he was convinced that I was trying to say I am and all of who disagree was wrong. So Jesus is right for me, I not forcing anyone to say He is right for them. People can accept Him if they wish or not. It's choice. Sorry if that caused any confusion
  13. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 20:47
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    You must not have met all the Christians in the world, eh mate? See, some of us have no intentions of superiority over ANYONE, whether you believe in Christ or not. The Bill Maher's of the world have this paranoid idea that Christians (and religious people in general) feel that we are somehow superior to atheists--that we "have a channel in our brain tha ...[text shortened]... y of the above, to think that I somehow place myself above you is ridiculous. And paranoid.
    I made the right or wrong comment based on previous talks Ive had with other people within this chat room. When I state that I believe, the first comment I normally get back "so you think your better" or "so you think your way is right" Me putting that there was just my attempt to end those comments.
  14. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 20:50
    I made the right or wrong comment based on previous talks Ive had with other people within this chat room. When I state that I believe, the first comment I normally get back "so you think your better" or "so you think your way is right" Me putting that there was just my attempt to end those comments.
    This is a difficult medium for me because a lot of nonverbal information is lost. I'm sorry that I took your comment somewhat literally.
  15. Joined
    10 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Oct '10 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think avalanchethecat has nailed it perfectly.

[b]I believe in Jesus, if the next man doesn't then he doesn't soooo, what about this topic creates such hostility?

Well what do you mean by 'I believe in Jesus'? Do you believe that everyone else who doesn't is probably going to hell?
    Do you believe that Muslims have got it all wrong? Do you see t?
    Do you see us as insulting your intelligence when we tell you that God doesn't exist?[/b]
    Q: Well what do you mean by 'I believe in Jesus'? Do you believe that everyone else who doesn't is probably going to hell?

A: Im not the judge so I will not say who is going to Hell

Q: Do you believe that Muslims have got it all wrong? Do you see us atheists as being insulting to God and Jesus when we say they don't exist?

A: I dont see atheists as being an insult, as far as muslims go...they may believe in whatever they what, so is Mohammond and Ali is their choice then thats their choice.

Q: Do you see us as insulting your intelligence when we tell you that God doesn't exist?[/b]

A: No I do not, just because one does not believe as I do does not mean that I can not learn from him or her. The only people I choose no to associate myself with are people who refuse to learn. I mean learn anything, I have known a few, and it depresses me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree