1. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 02:31
    It seems that by dictionary definitions this is what I am, along with many other religious people. However, to me it sounds like a contradiction in terms. I think this may be because many people use atheism to mean lack of belief in any religion, rather than lack of belief in God. Any thoughts?
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 02:40
    Originally posted by whiterose
    It seems that by dictionary definitions this is what I am, along with many other religious people. However, to me it sounds like a contradiction in terms. I think this may be because many people use atheism to mean lack of belief in any religion, rather than lack of belief in God. Any thoughts?
    So you believe in religion, but not the God that the religion sets out to worship?
  3. The sky
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 02:46
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    So you believe in religion, but not the God that the religion sets out to worship?
    Not all religions have a god or gods.
  4. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 02:47
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Exactly. Hence the dictionary definition of atheist as not believing in God, rather than religion.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 02:51
    the dictionary definition of atheist as not believing in God
    or a god, or several gods.
  6. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 02:56
    So maybe we need a more appropriate term for someone who does not believe in religion.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:02
    So maybe we need a more appropriate term for someone who does not believe in religion.
    Areligious? Or simply not religious?
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:041 edit
    Areligious? Or simply not religious?
    Probably better.
    So why do you think people use atheist instead?
    I think it may be because they confuse the word "religion" with the the major world religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, all of which believe in some form of god.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:081 edit
    Probably better.
    Do they? I usually assume that people mean "atheist" (one of the definitions of the word) when they say "atheist", not "not religious". And I usually don't call myself atheistic, but agnostic and not religious (although according to some definitions I would be atheistic, too).
  10. The sky
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:09
    Probably better.
    I think it may be because they confuse the word "religion" with the the major world religions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, all of which believe in some form of god.
    Buddhism is also a major world religion, and not all Buddhists believe in some form of god.
  11. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:14
    Do they? I usually assume that people mean "atheist" (one of the definitions of the word) when they say "atheist", not "not religious". And I usually don't call myself atheistic, but agnostic and not religious (although according to some definitions I would be atheistic, too).
    I have seen a lot of people on this sight use "atheist" when intending to mean not religious. I'm not saying that everybody does it, I just think it is a common enough practice for "religious atheist" to sound like a contradiction in terms(and not just to me, as you can see from this thread).
  12. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:17
    Buddhism is also a major world religion, and not all Buddhists believe in some form of god.
    I know. They would also be considered religious atheists. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that those were the only major world religions. Just that they are the ones that many people think of when they think of "religion" and possibly the source of the confusion between "atheists" and "non religious people".
  13. The sky
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:191 edit
    I have seen a lot of people on this sight use "atheist" when intending to mean not religious. I'm not saying that everybody does it, I just think it is a common enough practice for "religious atheist" to sound like a contradiction in terms(and not just to me, as you can see from this thread).
    You may be right. Another thing I have noticed a lot here is that people very often use "Christian" to mean "Christian fundamentalist". That was quite surprising to me, because the vast majority of Christians I have met outside TFC are not fundamentalists. And some of the fundamentalists may call anyone an atheist who opposes their beliefs (even Christians).

Edit: And to confuse the issue even more, some of the fundamentalists maintain that they are not religious.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 03:53
    Hmm, yeah, s'pose. Never crossed my mind to think of it that way (in the context of this thread, although, of course, I knew it really).

Maybe it's calling Buddhism a religion that is really the problem. Buddhism is more of a philosophical construct than a belief in the supernatural, really.
  15. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Dec '06 06:12
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Hmm, yeah, s'pose. Never crossed my mind to think of it that way (in the context of this thread, although, of course, I knew it really).

Maybe it's calling Buddhism a religion that is really the problem. Buddhism is more of a philosophical construct than a belief in the supernatural, really.
    Well, I suppose I would agree with the Buddhists in that they consider themselves religious because they have faith in something that they cannot prove scientifically, rather than because they have faith in something supernatural. But I suppose the dictionary definition of religion does say "supenatural" so maybe there needs to be a better word for the spiritual beliefs of people like me and the Buddhists.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree