1. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 21:07
    Has anyone ever experienced a committed Christian being won over by atheist argument? Or a committed atheist being won over by a Christian argument?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 21:14
    Originally posted by ivangrice
    Has anyone ever experienced a committed Christian being won over by atheist argument? Or a committed atheist being won over by a Christian argument?
    Not all people fall into one of those two groups (I don't). A few points have been raised in these threads that I wasn't aware of; for example, that the evidence for the historicity of Jesus is pretty slim. Therefore, if people can learn something from the debates then they can be worthwhile if there are points raised and discussed rather than either side making simple assertions and refusing to debate.
  3. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 21:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Not all people fall into one of those two groups (I don't). A few points have been raised in these threads that I wasn't aware of; for example, that the evidence for the historicity of Jesus is pretty slim. Therefore, if people can learn something from the debates then they can be worthwhile if there are points raised and discussed rather than either side making simple assertions and refusing to debate.
    Just wondering if anyone has ever seen an entrenched position change...
  4. The moral highground
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 21:34
    Just wondering if anyone has ever seen an entrenched position change...
    Yes I have.
  5. Standard memberivangrice
    Deracinated
    Sydney
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 21:40
    Originally posted by Brother Edwin
    Yes I have.
    Do tell.
  6. The moral highground
    Moves
    27 Feb '05 21:42
    Do tell.
    Cant remember, someone said something, then someone said something else, ivanhoe and Shavaxima.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 00:16
    Well, if it changed, then it wasn't an entrenched position right?

But I am not debating so much for those who are truly committed, even if that is who I am debating against. I am debating for the audience that really does have an open mind.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 00:17

Sure, the blood was all over the place ......
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 00:18

You're neither a Christian nor an Atheist ? Then what are you No1 ?
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 00:54
    With the Power of the Holy Spirit I have heard Testamonies of Atheist come to Christ from being Preached to by a friend of theirs that was a Christian.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 00:57
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

You're neither a Christian nor an Atheist ? Then what are you No1 ?
    An Agnostic and I don't agree with RWingett that that is essentially the same as an Atheist.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 01:01
    An Agnostic and I don't agree with RWingett that that is essentially the same as an Atheist.

I understand.
  13. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 01:25
    This is a very fair question.

But I think #1's point is at the essence of it. Certainly, those who are 'entrenched'
    aren't going anywhere, but there are many people 'on the fence,' deciding into which
    camp they will settle. These debates afford them the 'sides' of each position, allowing
    them to make an informed decision before committing.

I know I don't have any chance of compelling Rwingett that, because I am an active
    member in a particular faith organization, I am not a brainwashed lout trying to
    convert the world. And I know that I am not going to convince Darfius that there are
    errors in the Bible.

But, for those people who aren't sure that being part of a religious group could be
    a rewarding experience, but you don't have to be a literalist nutcase to be part of that
    group, I hope that I can give that person encouragement to feel comfortable with their
    decision.

Nemesio
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 02:15
    I never said an agnostic was the same as an atheist. Never.
  15. Graceland.
    Moves
    28 Feb '05 02:15
    A few points have been raised in these threads that I wasn't aware of; for example, that the evidence for the historicity of Jesus is pretty slim.

A pointer. When you make a statement such as that, you come across as quite ignorant, perhaps even unintelligent. Few athiests have issues with the historicity of Christ, it is commonly accepted that He actually existed. Indeed the attempt to discredit Christianity is not in the existance of Christ, but the authenticity of His miracles. The attempt to play the 'convert to agnostic' is rather superficial.

🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree