1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '16 18:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I guess I'd suggest not making claims about those that want to build walls are not as good
    as those that are building bridges since both have purposes.
    Maybe Trump should dig a mile wide moat along the border and then build one bridge that crosses it.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '16 19:22
    Will Pope Francis launch a Crusade against the US if Trump is elected?
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '16 21:34
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I also want to add that the Pope’s contrasting metaphors are walls and bridges—not walls or no walls at all. His message is that the gospel is about building bridges—and a core ideal throughout the gospel is that of welcoming the stranger, who generally represents God. That does not mean being naïve or undiscerning (checkbaiter’s point), to my mind—but it ...[text shortened]... “walls” in this public space. I don’t ask others to share their personal lives on here either.)
    Very nice to read some good straight common sense on here.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 02:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    I would assume that the entire GOP, or at least those who wish to secure the border, are also not Christian.
    You realize that according to the Bible, Jerusalem did the same thing, right?

1 Kings 3:1:

"...he finished building his palace and the temple of the Lord, and the wall around Jerusalem."

1 Kings 9:15:

"Here is the account of the forced labor King Solomon conscripted to build the Lord’s temple, his own palace, the terraces, the wall of Jerusalem,"

Apparently, building the wall is very much Christian.

BTW...doesn't the "forced labor" used to build the wall sound like Trump's "Make Mexico pay it"?
  5. Germany
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 17:141 edit
    With a massive wall surrounding the Vatican as they charge people anywhere from $20 to $80 a day to come inside and look around, should the US start charging illegal immigrants the same or should they be cut a deal?
    I guess you've never been to the Vatican - there's no room for a "massive wall" there.

BTW you can enter Vatican City free of charge.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 18:36
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    BTW you can enter Vatican City free of charge.
    But only after you swim to Europe 🙂
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 19:02
    Maybe Trump should dig a mile wide moat along the border and then build one bridge that crosses it.
    Trump's too cheap to pay the workers and he can't keep legal Hispanic citizens off the work force.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Feb '16 20:20
    Most? Just a question. (You might be right. It is just a question.)

But it does seem to come down to this (whether admitted or not): Hold the “right” doctrine, and you’re a “Christian”—hold the “wrong” doctrine, and you’re not.

Amidst the arguments over “faith” and “works,” where does love come in? If love is greater than faith (1st Corinthians ...[text shortened]... y what they will.

Anyway, I have an inkling, at least, of what you feel. Maybe it is "most".
    Vistesd, we have both been more in agreement with the teachings of Christ than many here.

Suffice it to say that love is the fulfillment of the law. Nobody is ever going to be in danger of eternal punishment if they truly live by the law of love that Jesus spelled out so clearly and so often.

Those who preach other doctrines, maybe they are not able to live up to Christ's standards.

Hope all is well with you and yours. 🙂
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 07:181 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Really? You have to come in here and make it about you?
    No, I was addressing KellyJay's apparent duplicity.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '16 07:242 edits
    Most? Just a question. (You might be right. It is just a question.)
    "Most" of the regular Christian posters have accused me of something sinister. It's generally not over doctrine although can stem from it. The usual insults about spiritual authenticity stem from me publicly disagreeing with one or more of them about something, especially if a non Christian holds the same view and I am perceived as taking sides against Christianity.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Feb '16 07:34
    I would assume that the entire GOP, or at least those who wish to secure the border, are also not Christian.

Who here agrees with the Pope?
    Walls often become a way to keep people in, even though the ostensible reason stated is to keep people out (Berlin, anyone?). Fear causes people to do stupid things, like vote for Trump. Right-wing talk-radio has made a lot of money off of this fact. The entire Republican Party uses fear like a weapon to entice your vote, and Trump has used this to benefit himself.

Giving up freedom, even for just a little "apparent" security, is never a good idea.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 07:211 edit
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/pope-says-trump-not-christian-views-plans-over-170430873.html

Apparently the Pope has said that Donald Trump is NOT a Christian because he wants to build a wall along Mexican/US border
    The Pope didn't even reference Donald Trump.

What do you have against those on the religious left?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '16 07:43
    Are you suggesting that all Mexicans can't swim?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree