1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 Oct '16 17:26
    Apparently.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-understand-world-less-study-shows-a7378896.html
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Oct '16 17:541 edit
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Apparently.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/religious-people-understand-world-less-study-shows-a7378896.html
    A survey of this forum could have told you that.

I am willing to bet a few posters who don't know the difference between statistical statements and categorical statements will shortly jump into this thread, and most of them will be religious.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 00:03
    Apparently Religious People Understand the World Less
    Apparently they are happier, more trusting and more generous also.

Also mainly women with lower IQ...

And are Finnish.
  4. Standard memberBongalloJoe
    Not Gone Yet
    STALKER ALERT!!
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 02:25
    Thats what the government wants you to think.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 11:52
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Also mainly women with lower IQ...
    Speak for yourself, 'genius'.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 12:072 edits
    Apparently.

Us'in needs crutches too feels better like that thar religion.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 12:20
    Some deys I jest stare at the sky and wondr wiye the ski is so blu.

Any u leanrned wimper snapers have the anser?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 13:002 edits
    So then, what is the most important thing to know about the world, my dear non-religious smart ones ?

What's the most important thing you guys know that we, who are suppose to less understand, SHOULD know? And why is it the most important thing?

Avalanchethecat, here's your chance to shine.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 13:50
    Originally posted by sonship
    So then, what is the most [b] important thing to know about the world, my dear non-religious smart ones ?

What's the most important thing you guys know that we, who are suppose to less understand, SHOULD know? And why is it the most important thing?

Avalanchethecat, here's your chance to shine.[/b]
    Dunno mate. I just posted the link, i didn't do the study. Or even take part. Personally I'm sceptical, my brother-in-law's a devout christian and he's got brains in spades.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 14:10
    Dunno mate. I just posted the link, i didn't do the study. Or even take part. Personally I'm sceptical, my brother-in-law's a devout christian and he's got brains in spades.
    Yur brothr in law mus be awtistic then.

Cant figr wy he beleevs in God otherwize.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 14:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Speak for yourself, 'genius'.
    I'm quoting the article linked in the OP.

Obviously you didn't read it 🙂
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 18:201 edit

You didn't quote it very well, they said nothing about religious women having lower IQ's in Finland. It was the next sentence where they said religious people tend to have lower IQ's in general, not referring just to women. You mashed the two statements together to match your own bias against women.

They also didn't say exactly how much lower the numbers were. My guess is they may have found some variation not statistically viable, say 2 IQ points lower and if it was 2 IQ points higher they both have the same significance, none.

My guess is when religious people get programmed by their religion, whatever that is, they tend to not think critically any more, thinking there are supernatural forces all around them and so inanimate objects could be thought of as having human attributes. That is part and parcel of what religions do, 'man was made in gods image' so we have a god with human attributes which a religion absolutely needs to be able to attract converts.

You can't have a god looking like a scorpian or whatever, it HAS to look like a man AND not a woman either, a MAN because apparently this god has to have a penis but they never explain why. Where is the female god so they can reproduce? Oh, there is no female god, this male god is a god all by itself. So why does it need to be male? So people can identify with it. That was how the people who designed this god needed it to be and so it is. So when people buy into all that, at least part of their critical thinking goes out the window.

Some kid gets super sick, is pronounced uncurable, but inexplicably gets well, all of a sudden it's a miracle.

Conveniently neglecting to remember the millions of other children tortured and murdered by various other religious or warring groups.

Why wasn't there a god to intervene with THOSE children? So that one in a million kids gets some attention from a god and all those others, all die?

Where is the critical thinking now?
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 20:17

Obviously.

I don't revel in bias, like some here.

I spend far too much of my time defending people from bias.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 21:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You didn't quote it very well, they said nothing about religious women having lower IQ's in Finland. It was the next sentence where they said religious people tend to have lower IQ's in general, not referring just to women. You mashed the two statements together to match your own bias against women.

They also didn't say exactly how much lower the numbe ...[text shortened]... some attention from a god and all those others, all die?

Where is the critical thinking now?
    The whole article is bullshlt; why don't you lighten up a bit.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '16 21:18
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Obviously.

I don't revel in bias, like some here.

I spend far too much of my time defending people from bias.
    I have no bias against women; I married one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree