1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    30 Jan '13 18:432 edits
    Just saw a documentary on the influence wielded by the Religious Right in setting textbook standards in Texas and consequently the US as a whole. An enlightening "inside" look at the workings of the Texas State Board of Education and the tragically comic backward thinking of many of its members.
    Certainly gives perspective to the lines of thought espoused by some of the posters on this forum. It's unfortunate that it was edited down to one hour.

    You can watch it free in its entirety here for a limited time:
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2325563509

    http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/revisionaries/film.html

    The Revisionaries shines a spotlight on the key players effecting U.S. high school textbooks, with characters representing a wide array of personalities and desires. Some see the board as a stepping-stone to future political success. Others see it as their ordained quest to preserve the teachings of the Bible. Still others see it as their duty to ensure that their children, who are in the public schools, have access to the best possible education that will prepare them to compete for jobs in the global marketplace. In all of this, one thing is assured, these board members are in the right place at the right time. They have the opportunity to affect a generation of Americans.


    Has anyone else watched this?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35525
    31 Jan '13 17:02
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Just saw a documentary on the influence wielded by the Religious Right in setting textbook standards in Texas and consequently the US as a whole. An enlightening "inside" look at the workings of the Texas State Board of Education and the tragically comic backward thinking of many of its members.
    Certainly gives perspective to the lines of thought espo ...[text shortened]... e opportunity to affect a generation of Americans. [/quote]

    Has anyone else watched this?
    I'll go take a peek at this.

    I live in Arizona, which is badly at risk for such thinking.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    16252
    31 Jan '13 17:32
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]Just saw a documentary on the influence wielded by the Religious Right in setting textbook standards in Texas and consequently the US as a whole. An enlightening "inside" look at the workings of the Texas State Board of Education and the tragically comic backward thinking of many of its members.
    Certainly gives perspective to the lines of thought espoused by some of the posters on this forum. It's unfortunate that it was edited down to one hour.
    It seems to me that the issue is really more about elected officials who are put into positions by their constituents and what those constituents want. IMO the constitution is under attack. Recently in California gay marriage was rejected by the voting populace but the will of the people is still being rejected. I am not sure what the current status is but what the people want does not matter in California with regard to this issue, the voice of a few should not rule the majority... in this case or any other. I am not sure if you (TOO) are an American, but voting and winning by the majority is what we are founded on and should be. When we change this fundamental principle of our constitution, we are going to have problems.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    31 Jan '13 17:57
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'll go take a peek at this.

    I live in Arizona, which is badly at risk for such thinking.
    Let me know what you think.

    What's particularly remarkable is the level of pride, arrogance and ignorance exhibited by some of the Religious Right members of the board. It's not a good combination.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    31 Jan '13 18:042 edits
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    It seems to me that the issue is really more about elected officials who are put into positions by their constituents and what those constituents want. IMO the constitution is under attack. Recently in California gay marriage was rejected by the voting populace but the will of the people is still being rejected. I am not sure what the current status is but ...[text shortened]... . When we change this fundamental principle of our constitution, we are going to have problems.
    It seems to me that the issue is really more about elected officials who are put into positions by their constituents and what those constituents want. IMO the constitution is under attack.

    Exactly how do you see this issue as the constitution being under attack?

    Recently in California gay marriage was rejected by the voting populace but the will of the people is still being rejected. I am not sure what the current status is but what the people want does not matter in California with regard to this issue, the voice of a few should not rule the majority... in this case or any other. I am not sure if you (TOO) are an American, but voting and winning by the majority is what we are founded on and should be. When we change this fundamental principle of our constitution, we are going to have problems.

    Do you really not understand the constitution at all? If it were truly about "voting and winning by the majority", then women and minorities probably would have never been given the vote no less other rights. But then, perhaps you see those as "problems"?

    BTW, did you even bother to watch the video?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35525
    31 Jan '13 18:11
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    It seems to me that the issue is really more about elected officials who are put into positions by their constituents and what those constituents want. IMO the constitution is under attack. Recently in California gay marriage was rejected by the voting populace but the will of the people is still being rejected. I am not sure what the current status is but ...[text shortened]... . When we change this fundamental principle of our constitution, we are going to have problems.
    And yet as such, the video clearly also shows that this process of majority rule also needs to be swept clean of the debilitating influence of lobbyists.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35525
    31 Jan '13 18:13
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Let me know what you think.

    What's particularly remarkable is the level of pride, arrogance and ignorance exhibited by some of the Religious Right members of the board. It's not a good combination.
    I was in the process of editing my original post about this when it cut me off and kept me from editing after the deadline for edits.

    Here is the amended version:

    I'll go take a peek at this.

    I live in Arizona, which is badly at risk for such thinking.

    Edit: I just saw this video, and it highlights the importance of paying attention to just who is elected to positions that are capable of influencing the future of education in America. The people of Texas need to be concerned for their children and try to elect people who can further the ability of their children to compete with those from other states who are lucky enough to receive proper education.

    I notice that every meeting of the Texas Board of Education is prefaced by a prayer, given not by a member of the clergy, but by the board members themselves. This is an egregious violation of the separation of church and state, and hopefully the people of Texas can correct this in the future. As proven by the video, it does absolutely no favors for the children of Texas.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35525
    31 Jan '13 18:27
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What's particularly remarkable is the level of pride, arrogance and ignorance exhibited by some of the Religious Right members of the board. It's not a good combination.
    I felt this too, that these people with no background in science think they know what faulty "science" their kids need to learn. How about leaving it up to the people educated and trained in doing exactly that. You know, the professionals.
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    16252
    31 Jan '13 18:29
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]It see... [text shortened]... Exactly how do you see this issue as the constitution being under attack?


    BTW, did you even bother to watch the video?
    Don't misunderstand me, I don't necessarily agree with the video, I just think that if you have an environment where people are voted in based on their ideologies that should count for something, no? If not, why have the exercise at all.

    When we don't agree with the outcome of an election and cry foul (assuming everything is on the up and up), then try to overturn or get the courts involved to force a change on the outcome, that to me is an attack on the constitution.

    I did not watch the video, but listened to it all the way through.

    Do you believe in the voting process of elected officials? Are you from the US?
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    16252
    31 Jan '13 18:34
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And yet as such, the video clearly also shows that this process of majority rule also needs to be swept clean of the debilitating influence of lobbyists.
    This is a chronic problem throughout the local, state and federal governments it is so commonplace it is merely 'accepted' as the norm.
    Do you Suzianne, think communities should have the ability to govern for themselves and make decisions that affect their lives no matter how they see it?
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    31 Jan '13 23:06
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I was in the process of editing my original post about this when it cut me off and kept me from editing after the deadline for edits.

    Here is the amended version:

    I'll go take a peek at this.

    I live in Arizona, which is badly at risk for such thinking.

    Edit: I just saw this video, and it highlights the importance of paying attention to just who ...[text shortened]... in the future. As proven by the video, it does absolutely no favors for the children of Texas.
    The prayers also raised an eyebrow for me. It's unfortunate that so many are willing to disregard the separation of church and state.

    I agree that it's the children who end up losing out as a result of this.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    31 Jan '13 23:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I felt this too, that these people with no background in science think they know what faulty "science" their kids need to learn. How about leaving it up to the people educated and trained in doing exactly that. You know, the professionals.
    Exactly. The pride and arrogance required to disregard the professionals is mind blowing.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    31 Jan '13 23:10
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    Don't misunderstand me, I don't necessarily agree with the video, I just think that if you have an environment where people are voted in based on their ideologies that should count for something, no? If not, why have the exercise at all.

    When we don't agree with the outcome of an election and cry foul (assuming everything is on the up and up), then try ...[text shortened]... through.

    Do you believe in the voting process of elected officials? Are you from the US?
    Tell you what. How about if you first address the salient points of my posts and answer my questions? Then I'll be happy to address yours.

    BTW, I am from the US.
  14. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    16252
    01 Feb '13 04:06
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Tell you what. How about if you first address the salient points of my posts and answer my questions? Then I'll be happy to address yours.

    BTW, I am from the US.
    Hmmm, thought I did answer your question... in any event matters not to me if you don't want to dialog. I'm good, I just think there is more at stake in the video than meets the eye tis all.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    01 Feb '13 06:13
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I was in the process of editing my original post about this when it cut me off and kept me from editing after the deadline for edits.

    Here is the amended version:

    I'll go take a peek at this.

    I live in Arizona, which is badly at risk for such thinking.

    Edit: I just saw this video, and it highlights the importance of paying attention to just who ...[text shortened]... in the future. As proven by the video, it does absolutely no favors for the children of Texas.
    There is no violation of the separation of church and state. You misunderstand this issue, just as you misunderstand many other things.
Back to Top