1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 17:361 edit
    @pb1022 said
    Conceding the existence of Adam and Eve is less of a stretch than the concessions you’ve already made in being an atheist and in believing the theory of evolution.
    As I've said before, I find such a glib response depressing and profoundly naïve (unless stated by somebody pre 19th century).

I honestly find it mindboggling that somebody living in the modern age can hold the story of Adam and Eve up as a factual account over and above the scientifically evidenced theory of evolution.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 17:38

Removed by poster

3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 17:43
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    As I've said before, I find such a glib response depressing and profoundly naïve (unless stated by somebody pre 19th century).
    You’ve already said, as an atheist, you can’t explain how consciousness came from mindlessness, how life came from non-life and how order came from chaos. You’ve made those three very large concessions and apparently have no problem doing so.

And I realize this isn’t the place to debate the theory of evolution, but there are scientists (and not all of them believers) who are skeptical of it. Check dissentfromdarwin.org - I think about 1,000 have signed a statement saying they’re skeptical of it and that it needs to be scrutinized far more than it has.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 17:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

I honestly find it mindboggling that somebody living in the modern age can hold the story of Adam and Eve up as a factual account over and above the scientifically evidenced theory of evolution.
    I’ve said before I don’t think the theory of evolution is based in science and I’ve said why.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 17:46
    @chaney3 removed their quoted post
    What does AA have to do with this?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 17:55

Removed by poster

7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 17:571 edit
    @pb1022 said
    I’ve said before I don’t think the theory of evolution is based in science and I’ve said why.
    And you were wrong.

At the very least you have to recognise that we evolved from more primitive primates (like Lucy). Adam and Eve therefore would have to have been similar creatures, and as they were made in God's image you are effectively saying God looks like a monkey.

I think you need to seriously rethink your position and join the 21st century.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 17:571 edit
    @pb1022 said
    What does AA have to do with this?
    AA hold to Christian ideas and concepts.

From the AA website.
    “Let's make no bones about it; the 12 step programme that members follow has its origins in a Christian group. As a consequence you will see God mentioned quite often. Many members believe in a god, and we have members that come from and practice all sorts of religions; but also many are atheist or agnostic, so don't be put off. “
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 18:02
    Interesting. I guess that’s why, from what I’ve heard, they refer to God as a “higher power” and not necessarily God.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 18:05
    @divegeester said
    AA hold to Christian ideas and concepts.

From the AA website.
    “Let's make no bones about it; the 12 step programme that members follow has its origins in a Christian group. As a consequence you will see God mentioned quite often. Many members believe in a god, and we have members that come from and practice all sorts of religions; but also many are atheist or agnostic, so don't be put off. “
    I wonder how much of a part God plays in people overcoming alcoholism (or remaining sober.) I mean I believe He plays a huge part in reality, but I wonder how much of a role He has in the program (how integral and prominent He is in the program.)
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 18:09

Removed by poster

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 18:11

Removed by poster

13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 18:22
    If belief in a deity helps someone quit drinking, great. I have however worked with many individuals who have given up years of alcohol abuse without any belief or assistance from God. There is plenty of excellent support out there (of the human variety) if somebody is open to it.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 18:321 edit

Removed by poster

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree