1. Joined
    09 Jan '15
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 06:16
    Hi everyone,

I've recently stared a youtube series where I express my spiritual/religious/philosophical views. I'm very new to this, both to openly talking about these things, and to using youtube. I'd love to get some feedback from people, both on the content and the technical aspects of my videos so that I can improve the quality.

This is the latest one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QafM-DVNeaM

I feel like I've made progress since I first began, but I'm still quite new to it. I really look forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestions you might have.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 06:231 edit
    Originally posted by Cerism
    Hi everyone,

I've recently stared a youtube series where I express my spiritual/religious/philosophical views. I'm very new to this, both to openly talking about these things, and to using youtube. I'd love to get some feedback from people, both on the content and the technical aspects of my videos so that I can improve the quality.

This is the latest o ...[text shortened]... l quite new to it. I really look forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestions you might have.
    What are your religious beliefs?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 06:42
    Hi everyone,

This is the latest o ...[text shortened]... l quite new to it. I really look forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestions you might have.
    There are several people here who like posting links to religion-related YouTube clips ~ RJHinds, sonship, RBHILL come to mind ~ perhaps you should canvass their views in in-game chats, but you'd have to play some chess for that to happen.
  4. Joined
    09 Jan '15
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 07:151 edit
    Divegeester, my religious beliefs are pretty disparate and hard to sum up in a quick way, which is I guess partially why I wanted to make these videos.

Edit: To be less of a tease, let me just describe the videos I've done so far. The first one was about existence and whether our lives are meaningful (I said yes, existence is self-justifying.) The second was on a similar theme, how dwarfed we can feel by contemplating existence, and how I feel many people spend their lives trying to hide from contemplation because it's scary. The third was sort of on my own take on animism, and the one I linked is on how to define a being. I'd say the one I linked is probably the dryest of the lot, but it also is the one that best represents where I am now, so I posted that one.

FMF, thanks for the recommendations! I'd be happy to play chess with whomever, as long as they don't mind playing against someone who is... well, not very good would be putting it pretty nicely. Don't get me wrong, the game is fascinating to me, but part of the fascination comes from me being so challenged by it.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 07:17
    Divegeester, my religious beliefs are pretty disparate and hard to sum up in a quick way, which is I guess partially why I wanted to make these videos.
    Maybe you can give us brief synopsis?
  6. Joined
    09 Jan '15
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 07:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Maybe you can give us brief synopsis?
    Had the exact same thought myself, just edited my previous post to do that!
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 10:11
    Had the exact same thought myself, just edited my previous post to do that!
    The first one was about existence and whether our lives are meaningful (I said yes, existence is self-justifying.)
    The second was on a similar theme, how dwarfed we can feel by contemplating existence, and how I feel many people spend their lives trying to hide from contemplation because it's scary.
    The third was sort of on my own take on animism, and the one I linked is on how to define a being.

I don't understand these descriptions as begin "religious"; more philosophical. I don't watch YouTube links, I was just interested in whether you had a religious perspective.

all the best with getting feedback elsewhere.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 11:05

This is the latest one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QafM-DVNeaM

20 seconds in and I don't like the way you use "because".

I think I am a duck - because ducks like water - and so do I.

Work it out.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 14:00
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for starting up a chess game with me.
    "See" you on the board.

I'll take a look at your YouTube video in a little bit.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 14:12
    Hi everyone,

I just watched your video which I thought was well done.

I am watching the follow up video to it now.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 23:01

Edit: To be less of a tease, let me just describe the videos I've done so far. The first one was about existence and whether our lives are meaningful (I said yes, existence is self-justifying.) The second w ...[text shortened]... game is fascinating to me, but part of the fascination comes from me being so challenged by it.
    Perhaps you can start us off with a little help.

Would you say you are more a 'theist', or more an 'atheist'?

Knowing which side of the tracks you're coming from straight off would probably be the best help.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 23:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    20 seconds in and I don't like the way you use "because".

I think I am a duck - because ducks like water - and so do I.

Work it out.
    Not much there to 'work out'.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 23:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Not much there to 'work out'.
    Behind you Suzi ... behind you!
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 00:59
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Behind you Suzi ... behind you!
    Ergo, Duck!
  15. Joined
    09 Jan '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 02:11
    divegeester, the line is a little blurry between the two. I'd say it's a little bit of both. And no problem, happy to talk about stuff anyways!

wolfgang59, is the example you put how I use because or how I should use it instead? If the the former, how would you suggest I correct it?

sonship, thanks for taking a look and the feedback!

Suzianne, between atheist and theist, I guess I'm more of a theist, but a very doubtful one. I think "god" is a rather simplified concept, and as we learn more and more, we see that things we lumped together under the concept of "god" are actually separate things. So god is something we move towards, the thing we strive for at the end of our searching. And I guess what makes me a theist is that I think ultimately, we will find things in that search, but I think those things will be very complicated and nuanced, and take a lot of work understanding.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree