1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 08:30
    Originally posted by Cerism
    divegeester, the line is a little blurry between the two. I'd say it's a little bit of both. And no problem, happy to talk about stuff anyways!
    It depends on your criteria I suppose. However as I don't know what your criteria is it's difficult to comment. I appreciate that you want people to go to your YouTube clips and get your hit rate up, but I'm afraid time in finite and there is a lot of competing demands on it.

This forum is a good lace to discuss and debate beliefs, if you would like to engage further then perhaps you could pick a specific topic, state your case and go from there?
  2. Joined
    09 Jan '15
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 23:10
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It depends on your criteria I suppose. However as I don't know what your criteria is it's difficult to comment. I appreciate that you want people to go to your YouTube clips and get your hit rate up, but I'm afraid time in finite and there is a lot of competing demands on it.

This forum is a good lace to discuss and debate beliefs, if you would like ...[text shortened]... engage further then perhaps you could pick a specific topic, state your case and go from there?
    My goal is really not so much hit rate as it is feedback. I'd like to have decent content before I really worry about how many people are watching it. I agree with you completely about time being limited though, so I understand most people won't care to watch.

I'll think about topics I might want to discuss. I'm always happy to engage in conversations about things!
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 23:19
    Hi everyone,

I've recently stared a youtube series where I express my spiritual/religious/philosophical views. I'm very new to this, both to openly talking about these things, and to using youtube. I'd love to get some feedback from people, both on the content and the technical aspects of my videos so that I can improve the quality.

This is the latest o ...[text shortened]... l quite new to it. I really look forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestions you might have.
    I'll take a look at the link as soon as I can and comment a little later. That could be as late as tomorrow.

I would ask you to ask yourself this question. How will I know the truth when I hear it?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    11 Jan '15 00:15
    Just to give you some grist for your mill, you could do a comparison of the Bible's Ten Commandments and Richard Dawkins' Ten Commandments. That could take up five or ten minutes of video.

http://thetumblratheist.tumblr.com/post/6943999339/richard-dawkins-ten-commandments
  5. Joined
    09 Jan '15
    Moves
    12 Jan '15 03:17
    josephw, thanks! No rush, I'm very appreciative of you taking the time to look, whenever you do it. As to how one knows the truth, I think that's an incredibly important question. As someone who is a frequent doubter in my own beliefs, it's one that weighs heavily on me.

Though I do doubt my beliefs a lot, I still find that they make the most sense to me; I have arguments that assuage my doubts. I do very much believe what I think is true, but I also know that truth is complicated. Even if I am "correct" today, I may be considered incorrect in a hundred years. I'm thinking here of the progress of science, which rendered say, Newtonian Mechanics, once the pinnacle of scientific truth, to that status of a rough approximation of reality that it occupies today. Newton wasn't "wrong," and in fact, in his time, believing in his system represented the cutting edge of what we knew about the universe. These days, if you hold his exact beliefs, you will be backwards, and by our modern standards, wrong. Truth is moving target, in some ways.

So, long answer short, I don't know how to know the truth when I see it. Sometimes something strikes you, it has a feeling of truthfulness or revelation about it. Sometimes you need to think about it for a long time and eventually decide it's right. And in either case, sometimes you later change your mind. It's complicated!

Paul Dirac II, what a neat idea! I also didn't know that Dawkins had a ten commandments, that was cool to read. I may do something like you suggest; I could definitely see working that in somewhere.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jan '15 20:511 edit
    josephw, thanks! No rush, I'm very appreciative of you taking the time to look, whenever you do it. As to how one knows the truth, I think that's an incredibly important question. As someone who is a frequent doubter in my own beliefs, it's one that weighs heavily on me.

Though I do doubt my beliefs a lot, I still find that they make the most sense to me; ...[text shortened]... to read. I may do something like you suggest; I could definitely see working that in somewhere.
    When I opened my heart and my life to Jesus Christ, it was the simplicity which astounded me. I mistook God's straightforward love and forgiveness somehow to be naivete. To my surprise I found what I really needed was a PERSON - the Savior Jesus.

He is an unusual Person, but a living Person just the same. And I was amazed that the simplicity of the Lord as a Friend and Lover of my soul had alluded me for so long.

In short God as not real to me because I needed real forgiveness from God for real sins committed which incurred real separation between me and a holy and righteous God. When I called upon the Lord Jesus the problem of the obstacle of my sins was taken care of and the fellowship with God as my Heavenly Father was quite normal to have.

Of course the universe is profound enough to keep the best minds occupied for probably thousands of years to come. But the most vital truths are like AIR or like WATER. They are very accessible if we will humble ourselves to the simplicity of the Lord and Savior the Son of God.

Excuse me for sharing a personal matter in such a public way. And many will follow this post with heckling and efforts to portray faith in Christ as something foolish.

But the simplicity of needing a Friend Who loves you without end and is qualified to forgive your sins, redeeming you as if you had never sinned at all, through His dying for us on the cross. THIS brings real peace in the heart.

Then God is no longer a vibration or force or theory or a philosophy but our dear and loving Heavenly Father. Do not let the simplicity of the ultimate truth allude you.
  7. Joined
    09 Jan '15
    Moves
    12 Jan '15 23:23
    Originally posted by sonship
    When I opened my heart and my life to Jesus Christ, it was the simplicity which astounded me. I mistook God's straightforward love and forgiveness somehow to be naivete. To my surprise I found what I really needed was a [b] PERSON - the Savior Jesus.

He is an unusual Person, but a living Person just the same. And I was amazed that the simplic ...[text shortened]... our dear and loving Heavenly Father. Do not let the simplicity of the ultimate truth allude you.[/b]
    Well, I for one am very appreciative for your public sharing of your faith. It's wonderful that you've found such comfort and strength in it. While there's certainly room for people to disagree about things, I think anyone who heckles you for it is probably just jealous/insecure about their own beliefs.

The notion of the most vital truths being simple is something I agree with. Though sometimes a complicated path is necessary before one reaches a place where they can see that simplicity. Many of the great discoveries of science, for example, can be explained and understood quite easily, and yet they still took humanity a long time to realize.

The notion that we are loved, is, I think, quite scary for many. We all want to be loved, but accepting it is hard. We internalize a lot of pain and guilt that keep us from feeling like we can accept it, and give us a feeling that we deserve to be unloved. It takes a lot of courage and strength to overcome that as you have.

Personally, I am agnostic with regards to Christ. I recognize the universal principle of love that Christians feel he represents. And certainly, if any person were to manifest that principle in human form, Jesus would certainly be a prime candidate. I don't know if he was the Son of God or not though, so for now, I must occupy my mind with the universe and the contemplation of it.

However, if the universe is made by the same God that made the Bible, then I believe the truths reflected in one will be reflected in the other. So maybe I too will follow a complicated path to find the same simple truth you have found. In any case, it's amazing that you have such a powerful and compassionate belief, and I really respect that.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 17:061 edit
    Personally, I am agnostic with regards to Christ. I recognize the universal principle of love that Christians feel he represents. And certainly, if any person were to manifest that principle in human form, Jesus would certainly be a prime candidate. I don't know if he was the Son of God or not though, so for now, I must occupy my mind with the universe and the contemplation of it.

He must love me much to want to grant me the gift of eternal life. This is like a gift that I never asked for and perhaps would never think to ask. Think of eternal life.

This is a manifestation of His divine love. But it is also a indication of His eternal perfect righteousness. For God and myself are incompatible because of His holiness, righteousness, and glory, while I am fallen into sin and corruption.

Since He doesn't change and He desires fellowship with me for eternity, He must do the work to Justify me and Transform me to be compatible with Himself. I have to be conformed to the image of Christ that Christ would not only be the Only begotten Son of God but the Firstborn Son of God with many, many brothers.

This passage shows Christ is the Only begotten Son of God -

"For God so loved the world that He gave is only begotten Son, that every one who believes into Him would not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16)

This stresses believing into the sphere, the realm of the living Son of God - the only begotten Son.

This passage shows the saved in the only begotten have a destiny to become like Him as His many brothers -

"Because those whom He foreknew, He also predestinated to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the Firstborn among many brothers. " (Romans 8:29)

So you see that God's eternal purpose involves saving the sinner by placing Him judicially within the only begotten Son for eternal justification. And then to "organically" conform and transform us into brothers of the Firstborn Son of God.

'Firstborn" of course implies the First is to be followed by many subsequent sons of God like Him. This is why there IS a universe. For this eternal purpose of having many sons of God, God created the universe and life and man in it.

The phrase "eternal purpose" is directly out of the New Testament -
    "In order that now to the rulers and the authorities in the heavenlies the multifarious wisdom of God might be made known through the church, According to the ETERNAL PURPOSE which He made in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have boldness and access in confidence through faith in Him." (Ephesians 3:10-12)

You see, for the whole universe, for the entire creation of God, God has an "eternal purpose" . And to know this purpose of the uncreated and eternal God we HAVE to look carefully at Jesus Christ.

I know this is counter intuitive. For instance the Hubble Telescope and the Hadron Collider are searching for many fascinating things, but not Christ Jesus. But to really understand universe we have to come to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to read about Jesus the Son of God.

That is because Jesus the Son of God is what God meant by "Human Being."

So while you contemplate the mysteries of the cosmos, one night, I encourage you to spend some equal time to read about "The Word became flesh and tabernacled among us (and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only Begotten from the Father), full of grace and reality" (Gospel of John 1:14)

That whole big tremendous creation is made by a glorious, holy and righteous Creator for His Son and for His sons. So in the last book of the Bible, Revelation, God pronounces about those to whom He has gifted eternal life -

" He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be God to him, and he will be a son to Me." (Revelation 21:7)

However, if the universe is made by the same God that made the Bible, then I believe the truths reflected in one will be reflected in the other. So maybe I too will follow a complicated path to find the same simple truth you have found. In any case, it's amazing that you have such a powerful and compassionate belief, and I really respect that.

Yes indeed. All the positive things in the universe point to its meaning and its center - the Son of God.

Christ is the reality of every positive thing in the universe.
    Christ is the real sun.
    Christ is the real atmosphere.
    Christ is the real order in the solar system.
    Christ is the real atomic particles.
    Christ is the holding center and circumference of the creation.
    Christ is the real Big Bang.

The New Testament describes the extent of the love of Jesus Christ for us as the boundless dimensions of the universe -

" ... may be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are and to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:18,19)

See? How broad is "the breadth"?
    How long is "the length"?
    How high is "the height"?
    And how deep is "the depth" ?

The Apostle Paul uses the dimensions of the universe to compare them with the love of Jesus Christ which is "knowledge-surpassing." This means we can NEVER exhaust His love when we are placed IN Him through faith. His dying for us on His cross manifest the power of His love.

For length's sake I stop here.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 19:15
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Perhaps you can start us off with a little help.

Would you say you are more a 'theist', or more an 'atheist'?

Knowing which side of the tracks you're coming from straight off would probably be the best help.
    pah!! stop trying to put people in little boxes!
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 19:49
    Hi everyone,

I've recently stared a youtube series where I express my spiritual/religious/philosophical views. I'm very new to this, both to openly talking about these things, and to using youtube. I'd love to get some feedback from people, both on the content and the technical aspects of my videos so that I can improve the quality.

This is the latest o ...[text shortened]... l quite new to it. I really look forward to hearing any thoughts or suggestions you might have.
    technically pretty good. if you want to jazz it up a bit i would do several recordings in different locations, then cut between them to emphasize points in the dialogue. maybe stick a few photos/images in. as you talk well it would not be too difficult to give it a more polished documentary feel.

good work
    b+

wasnt a huge fan of the content, but as an atheist/materialist i guess im not your target audience.

d-
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 20:15
    Excuse me for sharing a personal matter in such a public way. And many will follow this post with heckling and efforts to portray faith in Christ as something foolish.
    We shall see if you are right about what you say people will do in response to this post.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 21:31

Though I do doubt my beliefs a lot, I still find that they make the most sense to me; ...[text shortened]... to read. I may do something like you suggest; I could definitely see working that in somewhere.
    ".., I don't know how to know the truth when I see it."

You're not alone. "Knowing how to know the truth". What a concept!! Sounds like a great topic for this forum. Maybe someone will have the fortitude to approach it.

"It's complicated!"

Is it? Should it be? I don't think so, but that's just me! 😉
  13. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    14 Jan '15 05:49
    Well, I for one am very appreciative for your public sharing of your faith. It's wonderful that you've found such comfort and strength in it. While there's certainly room for people to disagree about things, I think anyone who heckles you for it is probably just jealous/insecure about their own beliefs.

The notion of the most vital truths being simple is s ...[text shortened]... it's amazing that you have such a powerful and compassionate belief, and I really respect that.
    You have more strength than you admit to, and you seem to have a firm grasp on what is most important. God's love for us!
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jan '15 15:323 edits
    The concept of some complication is valid, at least in Bible revelation.
    God is simple (somewhat) as a Lover that we all can know.

But man is a rather complicated matter.

Man was created very good and still has something very good about him.
    Yet he is fallen and polluted in sin and death.

This makes for a complicated situation. Are we "good" or are we "bad"?
    The answer has to be some of both.
    There is something noble, high and lofty about the created humanity.
    And even we do have some intention to do very good things.
    Yet we are damaged.

So evaluate man's predicament leads to some complications.

Then there are some paradoxes with the Bible's God as well.
    God is love. We like that.
    But God who is love hates sin.
    In fact if He does not HATE sin then He is not really Love.

God is love but God will not give up His righteous character for the sake of His love. He has to LOVE and be RIGHTEOUS at the same time.

He wants to forgive man's sins.
    But He will not forgive them loosely, sloppily, and sentimentally.

He will only forgive in such a way that communicates that it COSTS Him to do so. He will forgive wonderfully. But He will do so in a way that vindicates His righteousness, His holiness, His just procedure and His glory.

Barney the Dinosaur He is not. And John Lennon's "All You Need Is Love" is not all that is needed. Righteousness is needed as well. Perfect Rightness is needed.
  15. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 19:16
    The concept of some complication is valid, at least in Bible revelation.
    God is simple (somewhat) as a Lover that we all can know.

But man is a rather complicated matter.

Man was created very good and still has something very good about him.
    Yet he is fallen and polluted in sin and death.

This makes for a complicated situation. Are we "good" ...[text shortened]... Love" is not all that is needed. Righteousness is needed as well. Perfect Rightness is needed.
    Sorry Sonship, I cannot agree with this.

It is mankind who make it complicated.

Jesus simply says to love. Love God, love your neighbor as yourself.
    All of the Gospels reach out to us in God's love.

Look at the simplicity in the way Jesus healed people. It was in love they were healed. Even the demonic, Jesus states, "leave him" .

Mankind was not created just "very good" .
    Mankind was created perfect in the eyes of God. His creation is always perfect.

We were not created to become "good" or "bad" , but to be Holy, for God is Holy.

Enoch was perfect before God - in perfect love with God.
    Enoch is the example that we all can be, if we so choose.
    It is our free will, our choices, that make who and what we are.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree