1. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 May '14 09:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think sunhouse gets this by logic and reason based on news reports. I have come to a similar conclusion.
    Can you cite any such source?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 May '14 11:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Can you cite any such source?
    MAY 16, 2014

A first visit by President Goodluck Jonathan to the village from which nearly 300 girls were abducted by Boko Haram was abruptly canceled on Friday because of security fears, according to an official in the president’s entourage.

The official said security could not be guaranteed in the village of Chibok, 80 miles from this state capital. The road passes through territory largely controlled by Boko Haram; villages along it bear the traces — burned schools, empty houses — of earlier Boko Haram attacks.

Mr. Jonathan’s visit was expected to have symbolic import after weeks in which he has been accused of neglecting the abductions, though his reaction has been consistent with earlier government responses through nearly five years of attacks by Boko Haram.

The federal government in Abuja has generally treated the Boko Haram insurgency as a regional problem confined to the country’s northeast. A worldwide outcry over the girls’ kidnapping on April 14 has forced an abrupt change in that approach.

There are mounting concerns outside Nigeria that government forces are in poor shape to confront the militants.

“We’re now looking at a military force that’s, quite frankly, becoming afraid to even engage,” Alice Friend, the Pentagon’s principal director for African affairs, told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in Washington on Thursday. “The Nigerian military has the same challenges with corruption that every other institution in Nigeria does. Much of the funding that goes to the Nigerian military is skimmed off the top, if you will.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/17/world/africa/boko-haram-nigeria-schoolgirl-hunt.html?_r=0

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree