Residential Real Estate Rules

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Dec 11
2 edits

All members of the human race receive one (1) house at the outset of the high risk/reward Monopoly Game of Life. It's function is to provide a temporary abode for an immortal soul (technically referred to as a temporary habitation, body of clay or movable tent). At the conclusion of the game each player in turn receive one (1) eternal home. Each home is located at one of two permanent addresses. No individual has any say in the genetic construction of the house, though all have total control of their home and its address.

Wondering if you enjoy playing competitive board games such as chess, Scrabble and Monopoly as much as I do?

gb

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
16 Dec 11

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

Wondering if you enjoy playing competitive board games such as chess, Scrabble and Monopoly as much as I do?

gb[/b]
No Bobby. We're all morons who never play board games. 😉

Why is this in 'spirituality'? Are they God or Non-God games?

-m. 😳

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Dec 11

Originally posted by mikelom
No Bobby. We're all morons who never play board games. 😉

Why is this in 'spirituality'? Are they God or Non-God games?

-m. 😳
You're not dense, Mike. Must conclude that once again you've willfully ignored the simple metaphor's thrust.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Dec 11

You're not dense, Mike. Must conclude that once again you've willfully ignored the simple metaphor's thrust.
At first blush, I sometimes conclude that your reach far exceeds the grasp of the typical RHP member, but then I take another look and conclude that there are a small number of RHP members who are dead set on marginalizing on general principle ANYthing you offer up.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
16 Dec 11

The metaphor's thrust is in the wrong place, isn't it?

For assumptions of games played, and ignoring the rules, doesn't particularly pursue for a good game, does it not?

-m. 😉

Moves
16 Dec 11

[b]Residential Real Estate Rules

All members of the human race receive one (1) house at the outset of the high risk/reward Monopoly Game of Life. It's function is to provide a temporary abode for an immortal soul (technically referred to as a temporary habitation, body of clay or movable tent). At the conclusion of the game each player i ...[text shortened]... joy playing competitive board games such as chess, Scrabble and Monopoly as much as I do?

gb[/b]
The metaphor is clear enough, but the question about enjoying board games takes it off into a psychological exploration of the "game of life" as something we are naturally drawn to in the same way, and for the same reason that we enjoy board games, even those we know we are going to sometimes lose. We enjoy the journey -- being in the game.

In the pivotal moments of a chess game, being in the game matters. In the same way, we want life to be about something that matters. But the more we focus on the end, on our eventual address, the less we can have an appreciation of the journey -- being in the game.

That' my take on it.

M

Moves
16 Dec 11

In the standard board game, the object of the game is to be the one with the most points, money, stars, or whatever.

How does it work in Grampy Bobby's board game? What determines who wins?

Cape Town

Moves
16 Dec 11

No individual has any say in the genetic construction of the house, though all have total control of their home and its address.
Blatantly untrue, which even you would have realised if you took a moment to think about it.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Dec 11

Phrases "Temporary House" and "Eternal Home" recently triggered word pictures that arrested my attention and prompted the thread. Parker Brothers Monoply Game seemed to offer itself as an operative metaphor. Contrasting difference between temporal recognition (playing for fun and transient reward) and eternal stakes (of playing for keeps with infinite consequences) focused the counterpoint I hoped would leverage spirited conversation. Appropriate venue seemed to be the Spirituality Forum.

gb

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Dec 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
Blatantly untrue, which even you would have realised if you took a moment to think about it.
You've got our attention... now please develop your point.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Dec 11

Originally posted by JS357
The metaphor is clear enough, but the question about enjoying board games takes it off into a psychological exploration of the "game of life" as something we are naturally drawn to in the same way, and for the same reason that we enjoy board games, even those we know we are going to sometimes lose. We enjoy the journey -- being in the game.

In the pivotal m ...[text shortened]... less we can have an appreciation of the journey -- being in the game.

That' my take on it.
Difficult to dismiss "destination" out of hand.

Moves
16 Dec 11

Phrases "Temporary House" and "Eternal Home" recently triggered word pictures that arrested my attention and prompted the thread. Parker Brothers Monoply Game seemed to offer itself as an operative metaphor. Contrasting difference between temporal recognition (playing for fun and transient reward) and eternal stakes (of playing for keeps with infinite c ...[text shortened]... leverage spirited conversation. Appropriate venue seemed to be the Spirituality Forum.

gb
Some people play the same basic game but with a different view of the outcome: re-entry into the game of life until a state is reached that is free of the game.

Here is one way to express it, from:

http://www.wedietorememberwhatwelivetoforget.com/AlanWatts.html

"God also likes to play hide-and-seek, but because there is nothing
outside God, he has no one but himself to play with. But he gets over
this difficulty by pretending that he is not himself. This is his way of
hiding from himself. He pretends that he is you and I and all the people
in the world, all the animals, all the plants, all the rocks, and all the
stars. In this way he has strange and wonderful adventures, some of
which are terrible and frightening. But these are just like bad dreams,
for when he wakes up they will disappear.

"Now when God plays hide and pretends that he is you and I, he does
it so well that it takes him a long time to remember where and how he
hid himself. But that's the whole fun of it—just what he wanted to do.
He doesn't want to find himself too quickly, for that would spoil the
game. That is why it is so difficult for you and me to find out that we
are God in disguise, pretending not to be himself. But when the game
has gone on long enough, all of us will wake up, stop pretending, and
remember that we are all one single Self—the God who is all that there
is and who lives for ever and ever."

M

Moves
16 Dec 11

Phrases "Temporary House" and "Eternal Home" recently triggered word pictures that arrested my attention and prompted the thread. Parker Brothers Monoply Game seemed to offer itself as an operative metaphor. Contrasting difference between temporal recognition (playing for fun and transient reward) and eternal stakes (of playing for keeps with infinite c ...[text shortened]... leverage spirited conversation. Appropriate venue seemed to be the Spirituality Forum.

gb
But in your game, "playing for keeps" could be the way that loses the game?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
16 Dec 11

Originally posted by Melanerpes
In the standard board game, the object of the game is to be the one with the most points, money, stars, or whatever.

How does it work in Grampy Bobby's board game? What determines who wins?
No surprise standard board games imitate life. Volition, individual choices, free will always determine outcomes. Object is to secure permanent reward and to avoid loss by default or resignation... specifically, a favorable address of one's eternal home.

gb

Moves
16 Dec 11

Difficult to dismiss "destination" out of hand.
Yes, it's not really something to be done out of hand.