1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 08:022 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    japanese kamikaze pilots suicided for their country. enough indoctrination and you can make a person do anything. religion is simply the easy way.
    …japanese kamikaze pilots suicide for their country…

True. But many modern-day terrorists are motivated by religion and believe they will go to a better place (an afterlife) for what they perceive as their act of martyrdom. If they didn’t have this dilution of believing in an afterlife, wouldn’t those particular terrorists be less likely to be persuaded to commit suicide?

…enough indoctrination and you can make a person do anything…

I think it would be much harder to persuaded people to commit suicide ‘for their country’ but knowing that there would be no afterlife -what happened in Japan in WW2 as a result of a unique culture where it was considered extremely shameful by family and friends of the pilots to fail to “die for your country” and the pilots where very aware of this and didn’t want to “put shame on their family” by failing to die for their county. So, in the context of that culture, they could be easily emotionally blackmailed into committing suicide. But I doubt that you would find that attitude of it being “extremely shameful to fail to die for your country” quite to such the same extreme as in Japan in WW2 in most cultures in the modern world today.
    I am not saying some people couldn’t be persuaded if they didn’t belief in an afterlife but I would say less of them would be persuaded if they didn’t belief in an afterlife.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 09:161 edit
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]…japanese kamikaze pilots suicide for their country…

True. But many modern-day terrorists are motivated by religion and believe they will go to a better place (an afterlife) for what they perceive as their act of martyrdom. If they didn’t have this dilution of believing in an afterlife, wouldn’t those particular terrorists be less likely to ...[text shortened]... afterlife but I would say less of them would be persuaded if they didn’t belief in an afterlife.[/b]
    it is simply instilling the notion into suicides that their deaths mean something and they will get a reward. whether there are 72 virgins, (i would like to see where in the koran says there are 72 super model virgins, or even 72 female virgins) or the belief leading to and right befor death that they are helping defend the motherland and building a better future for their families, suicides can and will happen. religion is simply the easiest way to indoctrinate someone today.

you simply mentioned religion and an unique culture. there are more. heroism. an american soldier in the US army in WWII, with a family at home, jumps on a grenade or charges the enemy so that wounded soldiers have time to be evacuated. he wasn't even indoctrinated. he just believed his death had meaning.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 09:49
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it is simply instilling the notion into suicides that their deaths mean something and they will get a reward. whether there are 72 virgins, (i would like to see where in the koran says there are 72 super model virgins, or even 72 female virgins) or the belief leading to and right befor death that they are helping defend the motherland and building a better ...[text shortened]... suicides can and will happen. religion is simply the easiest way to indoctrinate someone today.
    Surely what you describe - is religion? You are basically agreeing that religion is a key ingredient to suicide attacks, but are trying pretend that it is not infact religion.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 10:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Surely what you describe - is religion? You are basically agreeing that religion is a key ingredient to suicide attacks, but are trying pretend that it is not infact religion.
    how are you convincing yourself that people keep supporting your point of view without even realizing it. i said that not only religion can drive a man to suicide to achieve a goal. heroism, patriotism, sacrifice, etc are all reasons why someone could be persuaded(by himself or others) to commit suicide.

how is a soldier jumping on a grenade to save his comrades in any way related to religion?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 Aug '08 10:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    religion is one ingredient. and it is the key in muslim terrorist attacks. a nut going into a methodist church and using a machine gun on everyone there because the correct religion is catholicism might be considered religious(in tha latter case i say psychosis is a much more important factor)
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 21:42
    Well it's for the common good if everybody is going to die anyways than you might as well save people in the process.
  7. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 22:14
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Well it's for the common good if everybody is going to die anyways than you might as well save people in the process.
    I knew I'd agree with you in the end.
  8. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 22:15
    Wow that's cool!
  9. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 22:18
    Wow that's cool!
    Credit where credit is due, I just thought you were right this time.
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 22:21
    So are you a Christian or what?
  11. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 22:33
    So are you a Christian or what?
    No, I'm an agnostic atheist.

But you are right that suicide terrorism isn't restricted to the religious, and you pointed out one reason why.
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 23:07
    Agnostic; a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known, is what the dictionary says and even though I don't agree with that, I think there's some things we can agree on.
  13. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 23:39
    Agnostic; a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known, is what the dictionary says and even though I don't agree with that, I think there's some things we can agree on.
    Since we are both people, we'd have to hope so.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree