1. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '16 16:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    On social media you can be silent without fear of being impolite.
    It depends. Even here on RHP where most people are relatively anonymous, if we mention the death of someone who wasn't a terrorist, then most people feel the need to say something nice.

One can also use other terms to express loss or sorrow with having to invoke religious terminology. Maybe there is something deeper.
    Or maybe most people don't think its religious terminology. Do you think the days of the week or months are religious terminology? I recently learned that during the French revolution they changed the calendar in part because they saw the traditional one as connected to the Church.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Sep '16 16:261 edit
    However I do still wonder if in some cases there is a deeper hope attached to it.
    For those who are not strong atheists, that might well be the case. Many non-religious people nevertheless subscribe to some basic beliefs about life after death. Many just don't really give it much thought or don't have a definite opinion on the matter. Interestingly, a lot of people who label themselves Christian, say that they don't believe in life after death.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/polls-about-life-after-death.htm
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 07:291 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, actually it does. Language is 'perfectly valid' if at least one person sees nothing wrong with it.

[b]Maybe this is an insight into how your thoughts are expressed here sometimes.

Tell us what that 'insight' is instead of hinting vaguely at something without having the guts to say it.[/b]
    It was just a little dig referring to my previously arguing with you about you insisting you are always right. Sorry, reading back it was uncalled for.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 07:31
    I generally don't swear, but if I did, I would not mean it rationally, nor would I expect anyone to assume that I did. I am fairly sure that you wouldn't either when you said 'God damn it'. Seriously, do you really think God would send a nail to hell just because you missed it with a hammer?
    Of course not, but it is the calling on God which is the interesting thing. You did realise that...right?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 07:32
    I think you could reasonably say that those people think they knew David Bowie.
    Of course they didn't. They new the brand, the music, the image.

Come on, seriously.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 07:34
    It depends. Even here on RHP where most people are relatively anonymous, if we mention the death of someone who wasn't a terrorist, then most people feel the need to say something nice.

[b]One can also use other terms to express loss or sorrow with having to invoke religious terminology. Maybe there is something deeper.

Or maybe most people don't ...[text shortened]... tional one as connected to the Church.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar[/b]
    Fair point, I can accept this.

Im trying to be a little polarised and pendantic and you are being broad and eclectic. Role reversal here 😛
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 07:36
    I suspect that there is a basic belief in God in all people. I suspect that these social expressions may sometimes be representative of that. I can see why twhithead would want to argue against that premise.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 08:53
    Of course not, but it is the calling on God which is the interesting thing. You did realise that...right?
    I do realise that you are having a problem with atheists using the word 'God'. What I don't understand is why you find it interesting.
    What I find interesting is that theists use the phrase as it goes directly against the teachings in the Bible. Atheists have no such teachings so they can use the lords name in vain all they like with impunity.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 08:56
    Of course they didn't. They new the brand, the music, the image.

Come on, seriously.
    You are the one not being serious here. Clearly they will miss what they knew - the brand the music, the image. They are just too polite to say it.
    I assume, you on the other hand have filled facebook with messages saying 'David Bowies brand will be missed.'
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 08:56
    Im trying to be a little polarised and pendantic and you are being broad and eclectic. Role reversal here 😛
    Yes I noticed 🙂
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 09:04
    I suspect that there is a basic belief in God in all people.
    Well I cannot prove otherwise. I can only give my own testimony and you can believe it or not. I have no such 'basic belief'. And I would be more than happy to take a lie detector test to prove it, but that obviously isn't feasible here. I also suspect that many professed theists are faking it, and that suspicion is borne out by the surveys I referenced earlier.

I suspect that these social expressions may sometimes be representative of that.
    And I think you are reading too much into it. I personally avoid such social expressions but I can be quite pedantic at times whereas most people are not. I feel compelled to point out that many people also use expressions that do not apply to their religion or in fact are directly contrary to their religion.
    Also, there are many people who have deliberately modified common expressions that do have religious connotations. Just as the F word is often modified to 'feck' 'fack' and others.

I can see why twhithead would want to argue against that premise.
    The fact that you can find a motivation, doesn't make me wrong.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 09:30
    I do realise that you are having a problem with atheists using the word 'God'. What I don't understand is why you find it interesting.
    What I find interesting is that theists use the phrase as it goes directly against the teachings in the Bible. Atheists have no such teachings so they can use the lords name in vain all they like with impunity.
    I'm not talking about taking the lords name in vain I'm talking about atheists using terms like "rest in peace" to express and emotional response to someone dying.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 09:311 edit
    I'm not talking about taking the lords name in vain I'm talking about atheists using terms like "rest in peace" to express and emotional response to someone dying.
    So basically, pick on particular phrases but ignore the ones that don't fit your theory?
    I am still far from convinced that that particular phrase has any religious connotations whatsoever.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Sep '16 09:41
    I do not believe in any form of life after death. Many atheists do, and many simply say they do not know. However, I would never express that view in the face of someone who has recently lost someone close to them unless they directly asked, as doing so would be rude.
    A few years ago a friend of mine lost his wife and I was frankly annoyed by the fact that the local priest used the occasion as a preaching opportunity. I found that to be rude.
    There are certain situations where discussion of religion should be avoided.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '16 06:00
    So basically, pick on particular phrases but ignore the ones that don't fit your theory?
    I am still far from convinced that that particular phrase has any religious connotations whatsoever.
    I'm not entirely convinced myself, I just suspect this may be the case for some people. I have no issues with you adhering firmly to your atheism; I believe that God can break through any cognitive position. I like the Christian notion that people are born with, or come to (and move away from) a time in their lives where God is a significant potential reality -- a tipping point of faith if you like. I'm not saying it's true, even doctrinally, I'm just saying I like the idea and I think that sometimes people saying "rest in peace" is, for some people, the curtain flapping open...just a little.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree