1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 19:53
    Originally posted by dottewell
    The meaning seems perfectly clear. It is entirely in accordance with simple (god-given, if you like) common sense.
    Straight-forward this, then:

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.
    And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
    And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell,
    where " 'their worm does not die,
    and the fire is not quenched.'"
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 19:57
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Straight-forward this, then:

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.
    And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
    And if your eye causes you t ...[text shortened]... rown into hell,
    where " 'their worm does not die,
    and the fire is not quenched.'"
    It's equally obvious that that is metaphorical. Ask around if you don't believe me.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 20:01
    It's equally obvious that that is metaphorical. Ask around if you don't believe me.
    Wait a tic. What happened to straight-forward? How do you know it's metaphorical? Have ye a secret decoder ring? Anything from Jesus' words tell you to interpret as a metaphor? You get the point.
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 20:041 edit
    Wait a tic. What happened to straight-forward? How do you know it's metaphorical? Have ye a secret decoder ring? Anything from Jesus' words tell you to interpret as a metaphor? You get the point.
    One "clue" to its metaphorical status that seems to have passed you by is that it is absurd to think that a hand can literally make a person sin.

I said "common sense", which I am employing here again. You said "straight-forward", by which you seem to mean "literal".
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 20:08
    One "clue" to its metaphorical status that seems to have passed you by is that it is absurd to think that a hand can literally make a person sin.

I said "common sense", which I am employing here again. You said "straight-forward", by which you seem to mean "literal".
    The intent of the passage has not escaped me, despite your intimations otherwise. The point is that one must be able to differentiate the categorical nature of each passage, among other things.

BTW, if your hand was making some unacceptable practice possible, surely cutting the hand off would make the practice impossible.
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 20:111 edit
    The intent of the passage has not escaped me, despite your intimations otherwise. The point is that one must be able to differentiate the categorical nature of each passage, among other things.

BTW, if your hand was making some unacceptable practice possible, surely cutting the hand off would make the practice impossible.
    Your hand would still not be causing you to sin.

I'm not suggesting you don't understand the passage. I'm pointing out one obvious reason to take it as metaphorical (no decoder ring required).
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 20:16
    Your hand would still not be causing you to sin.

I'm not suggesting you don't understand the passage. I'm pointing out one obvious reason to take it as metaphorical (no decoder ring required).
    You'd be surprised at how many people attempt to take things literally, as No1 is suggesting, as well.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 20:38
    You'd be surprised at how many people attempt to take things literally, as No1 is suggesting, as well.
    I find it bizarre that you strain to interpret Jesus' words as entirely metaphorical while believing in the Genesis stories as actual events. I think your "MetaPhorDar" antenna needs a serious tune up.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 21:11
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I find it bizarre that you strain to interpret Jesus' words as entirely metaphorical while believing in the Genesis stories as actual events. I think your "MetaPhorDar" antenna needs a serious tune up.
    Coming from the king of contortion, that's akin to the pot calling the kettle a darker shade of white.
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 21:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Maybe that's because he's an idiot.
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:00
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    Maybe that's because he's an idiot.
    Hey, No1: you left your lap dog behind during your hasty exit.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:14
    as I said before, silly boy, you are a turd.
    Your command of the English language is astounding. The pack of wolves which raised you is to be commended.
  14. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:321 edit
    Your command of the English language is astounding. The pack of wolves which raised you is to be commended.
    OK thats the second Hoe thing you said to me.
    One more and subsection 3a)???

edit Phlabby????
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    04 Jul '06 22:37
    OK thats the second Hoe thing you said to me.
    One more and subsection 3a)???

edit Phlabby????
    I doubt you'll get very far on that one, young man, especially in light of your generous use of such insults as evidenced in your above post. Quick! It's not too late to edit out the use of the word 'turd!'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree