1. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 18:21
    I have the worst head cold of all time. I also have a large mountain of work to do tomorrow. Post your prayers here, together with the intended deity. If I'm on my feet ten hours, some lucky god gets a convert.
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 22:22
    Originally posted by ChronicLeaky
    I have the worst head cold of all time. I also have a large mountain of work to do tomorrow. Post your prayers here, together with the intended deity. If I'm on my feet ten hours, some lucky god gets a convert.
    I pray that you get well. If you do, then my prayer has been answered, and I should win on the basis of the efficacy of my personal prayer.

I’m a nondualist. Will some kind of brief meditation count? (I do think that “contemplative prayer” can be treated in those terms.) Or does it have to be a prayer to a god-being?
  3. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    04 Jan '09 22:52
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I pray that you get well. If you do, then my prayer has been answered, and I should win on the basis of the efficacy of my personal prayer.

I’m a nondualist. Will some kind of brief meditation count? (I do think that “contemplative prayer” can be treated in those terms.) Or does it have to be a prayer to a god-being?
    No theism necessary, although without a god, this thread might turn into a real discussion from which I'll learn something instead of a bad joke 🙂.

In fact, some sort of brief meditation I would honestly find absolutely touching, in a way that would exceed the effect that the knowledge of someone's prayer to a deity would have on me. This is not simply because I am not a theist, but rather because empathy is something I view as "holy", in a sense, and because presumably a brief meditation on my disease would be, according to some vague things later in this post, a direct interaction between you and my virus.

I'm not sure what sort of dualism you reject by being a nondualist (although I'd like to know). I suspect that the "holiness of empathy" I mention is due to a recognition (or, I suppose, a belief) that the distinction between ourselves and the rest of what exists is a conceptual construct which, while useful in some (many) contexts, is a cognitive tool rather than a fact. The corollary, that to actually empathise is to have a literal experience, is to me beautiful. To acknowledge empathy is to acknowledge one's own, and by extension everyone else's, capacity to imagine, love and use the subjunctive mood.

I know very little about meditation associated with any specific spiritual school, or any other aspect of any spiritual school, but to me, Atticus Finch's injunction to "stand in someone else's shoes and walk around" is more than a reflection of some sort of Golden Rule morality: it's a reminder that that which is, is, and we can understand and experience it as long as we retain our imaginations.

Therefore, I thank you for your prayer that I get well.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 02:033 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 18:07

I thought you were a Zen Buddhist!

Are you both? Please explain.
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 18:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    I thought you were a Zen Buddhist!

Are you both? Please explain.
    Zen is one expression of nondualism; I explore others as well. Zen seems the easiest one for people to get a quick handle on...
  7. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 19:11
    I would like to submit an entry praying in tongues.
    --------------------------------------------------------

QRNE OYNPX WRFHF,

VS VG OR LBHE JVYY, YRG GUVAXBSBAR UNIR N QNHTUGRE JUB TEBJF HC GB ZNEEL N OYNPX ZNA NAQ UNIR N ZVKRQ-ENPR FBA JUB TEBJF HC GB OR NA NGURVFG.

GB ERNYYL ZNXR ZL QNL, PBZZNAQ GUNG OYNPX ZNA GB FYNL UVF ZVKRQ-ENPR NGURVFG FBA, LBH XABJ, GUR FNZR GUVAT LBH CHYYRQ JVGU NOENUNZ, RKPRCG GUVF GVZR, QBA'G PNYY VG BSS.

GURA, CHG GUVAXBSBAR BA GUR WHEL NG GUR OYNPX ZNA'F GEVNY JVGU 11 BGURE JUVGR ZNYRF, FB GUNG UR PNA RKCREVRAPR JUNG VG'F YVXR GB OR OR NPPHFRQ BS ORVAT ENPVFG JURA GURL PBAIVPG GUR OYNPX ZNA.

YRG GURER OR N ONAX REEBE VA ZL SNIBE ERFHYGVAT VA NA RKGEN ZVYYVBA QBYYNEF VA ZL PURPXVAT NPPBHAG.

XVPX NYYNU'F NFF VA N SVFG SVTUG NAQ ZNXR NUBFARL JNFU LBHE SRRG JVGU UVF GHEONA.

YRG PY TRG GB GUR CUNEZNPL NAQ ONPX JVGUBHG TRGGVAT OYBJA HC FB UR PNA TRG FBZR ZRQVPVAR GB URNY UVF NSSYVPGVBA.

GUNG FUBHYQ QB VG SBE ABJ. PNGPU LBH ARKG GVZR GURER'F N CENLRE PBZCRGVGVBA.

NZRA, T.
    QE. F
  8. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 19:28
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles

QRNE OYNPX WRFHF,

VS VG OR LBHE JVYY, YRG GUVAXBSBAR UNIR N QNHTUGRE JUB TEBJF HC GB ZNEEL N OYNPX ZNA NAQ UNIR N ZVKRQ-ENPR FBA JUB TEBJF HC GB OR NA NGURVFG.

GB ERNYYL ZNXR ZL QNL, PBZZNAQ GUNG OYNPX ZNA GB FYNL UVF ZVKRQ-ENPR NGUR ...[text shortened]... FUBHYQ QB VG SBE ABJ. PNGPU LBH ARKG GVZR GURER'F N CENLRE PBZCRGVGVBA.

NZRA, T.
    QE. F
    Ave, Caesar, sternutati te salutant!
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 20:20
    God of most high, give this young boy a colonic of the naso-pharangeal cavity
    That upon its release he will feel as light as Oprah in a Biafrian city
    May the drainage come down and overwhelm what is below
    Much like the waters from Moses that did in Pharoah
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 22:38

QRNE OYNPX WRFHF,

GB ERNYYL ZNXR ZL QNL, PBZZNAQ GUNG OYNPX ZNA GB FYNL UVF ZVKRQ-ENPR NGUR ...[text shortened]... FUBHYQ QB VG SBE ABJ. PNGPU LBH ARKG GVZR GURER'F N CENLRE PBZCRGVGVBA.

NZRA, T.
    QE. F
    You need an interpreter or it doesn't count.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 22:41
    Zen is one expression of nondualism; I explore others as well. Zen seems the easiest one for people to get a quick handle on...
    Zen is easy?

Wouldn't it be easier to just trust God?
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 23:07

QRNE OYNPX WRFHF,

NZRA, T.
    QE. F
    I, too, speak in tongues, Dr. S., although I'm a slow reader. Some profound words of wisdom you have for ThinkOfOne. I sure he will profit by them, if the Holy Spirit should see fit to grant the gift of tongues to him. Although I see you stand to profit considerably more if your prayers are fulfilled.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    05 Jan '09 23:411 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    You need an interpreter or it doesn't count.
    It's easy enough to decode, although I am too lazy / ill to decode the whole text right now.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 00:07
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It's easy enough to decode, although I am too lazy / ill to decode the whole text right now.
    You don't "decode" it as though it were some trite puzzle. You need the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to read it. You are not too ill in health, but too ill in spirit to read the prayer. Be strong, brother, have faith!

Only then can you read about the divine fisticuffs.
  15. The sky
    Moves
    06 Jan '09 01:15
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You don't "decode" it as though it were some trite puzzle. You need the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to read it. You are not too ill in health, but too ill in spirit to read the prayer. Be strong, brother, have faith!

Only then can you read about the divine fisticuffs.
    If I need to have a sex change first, count me out!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree