1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 01:331 edit
    RHP Spirituality Forum Reality Poll (2014)

"Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible. A still more broad definition includes everything that has existed, exists, or will exist.

Philosophers, mathematicians, and other ancient and modern thinkers, such as Aristotle, Plato, Frege, Wittgenstein, and Russell, have made a distinction between thought corresponding to reality, coherent abstractions (thoughts of things that are imaginable but not real), and that which cannot even be rationally thought. By contrast existence is often restricted solely to that which has physical existence or has a direct basis in it in the way that thoughts do in the brain.

Reality is often contrasted with what is imaginary, delusional, (only) in the mind, dreams, what is false, what is fictional, or what is abstract. At the same time, what is abstract plays a role both in everyday life and in academic research. For instance, causality, virtue, life and distributive justice are abstract concepts that can be difficult to define, but they are only rarely equalled with pure delusions. Both the existence and reality of abstractions is in dispute: one extreme position regard them as mere words, another position regard them as higher truths than less abstract concepts. This disagreement is the basis of the philosophical Problem of universals. The truth refers to what is real, while falsity refers to what is not. Fictions are considered not real." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality

1) "I was at this time of living, like so many Atheists or Anti-theists, in a whirl of contradictions. I maintained that God did not exist. I was also very angry with God for not existing. I was equally angry with Him for creating a world." C.S. Lewis

2) Reality includes realization of the fact that Descartes', "I think; therefore I am." is off the mark. 'I am; therefore I think'.

3)
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 01:484 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]RHP Spirituality Forum Reality Poll (2014)

"Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible. A still more broad definition includes everything that has exi ...[text shortened]... ct that Descartes', "I think; therefore I am." is off the mark. 'I am; therefore I think'.

3)[/b]
    3) Reality is nothing but a collective hunch.

4) Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

5) Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs.

- Lily Tomlin (3 lines probably written by Jane Wagner, for her "Trudy" character)
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 02:21
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    26 Feb '14 02:29
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E_8EjoxY7Q
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    6) YouTube

7) The reality of "the man who was trapped in a burning building*..." is no longer a metaphorical fiction." Thread 158085

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree