1. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 02:38
    Did Adam have a belly button. (I actually met a pastor who's church split over this ridiculous argument).

Why JW's don't celebrate birthdays. Does this really matter.
    The name of God. Will arguing over the right title bring you to heaven?
    Your church doesn't believe in dancing. That is ok, doing it or not won't make a hill of beans. Salvation only comes from the heart.
    How the earth was made or when. Really? Is this something to condemn others over?
    The list goes on.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 03:15
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Did Adam have a belly button. (I actually met a pastor who's church split over this ridiculous argument).

Your church doesn't believe in dancing. That is ok, doing it or not won't make a hill of beans. Salvation only com ...[text shortened]... the earth was made or when. Really? Is this something to condemn others over?
    The list goes on.
    The last one differs because it deals with a matter of fact.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 03:19
    Wherever people are allowed to have opinions thee will be debate.

Perhaps the question of Adam's belly button is not a ridiculous argument?
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 03:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The last one differs because it deals with a matter of fact.
    I know what you mean, but still. All the argument over this whole mess. Will it solve the problems in the world. Will it make you more or less happy. (Well it might make YOU more happy to pester the "Christians"😉 ha ha.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 06:04

Your church doesn't believe in dancing. That is ok, doing it or not won't make a hill of beans. Salvation only com ...[text shortened]... the earth was made or when. Really? Is this something to condemn others over?
    The list goes on.
    So, what differences of opinion do you think are the ones that matter?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 07:13

The list goes on.
    The Holy Bible says that God created the heavens and the earth. If we can't rely on the truth of the the first verse in the Holy Bible, then why should we rely on anything written in it to be true?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 12:021 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Holy Bible says that God created the heavens and the earth.
    Did the Bible say how and when?
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 16:59
    The Holy Bible says that God created the heavens and the earth. If we can't rely on the truth of the the first verse in the Holy Bible, then why should we rely on anything written in it to be true?
    Because it's not just one book. It's 66. Even Genesis is not just one book. Think of the many different generations it spans. Obviously, a variety of people crafted the stories.

This whole idea that the Bible's usefulness is "all or nothing" is perhaps the single most intellectually bankrupt aspect of modern Christianity.

In no other field do we consider books to be either 0% reliable or 100% reliable, with no in-between.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 17:42
    Exactly.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 18:47
    Your problem is that you use this tiny scrap of a chapter of Genesis to base your entire belief system around. That is just nonsensical. I, too, believe that 'God created the heavens and earth'. But unlike you, I do not put God into a tiny little box that says "He MUST have done it exactly like THIS." Like you would even know.

I find Creationism to be an insult to every intelligent being who has stopped to think how we came to be. The evidence clearly does not support it. I see Evolution as the most clear and straightforward method matching the available evidence that can explain the Ascent of Man on this planet. But you cannot make the leap to imagine that God could do this. You continue to confine God to the little, tiny box of those verses in Genesis. I'm afraid that those verses simply do not tell the entire story. Why? Could man of 3000 years ago have understood evolution? How about the natural physical formation of planets and solar systems and stars? No, so Moses, who was quite aware that he was writing for not only everyday people, but for the generations, put it all into ideas people could understand. And then people like you, who should know better, continue to say, "No, it says this, and so that's the way it had to be!" Don't you think that this Universe is magnificently awesome? Don't you think God had it planned this way from the moment he spoke everything into existence at the Big Bang? A nudge here and a nudge there is all that would be necessary to ensure that we came about according to his design. All it needed was time, a resource God has in abundance. But you cannot even give God that credit.

So I, too, rely on the truth of the first verse of the Bible. But I do not presume to tell anyone that it MUST have been done by a magic-wielding God in only 6 24-hour days. Especially when what we can see with our own eyes tells us the Universe is far, far older than a mere 6,000 years. You're not doing any favors to believers and non-believers alike when you continue to insist that your version is the ONLY way it could happen, when that is clearly not true, something we can see for ourselves simply by looking at the universe. I agree that God created the heavens and the earth. But I also believe God used the very same physics and other natural laws that He invented to accomplish it. After all, He had all the time in the world, and more.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 18:58
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Wherever people are allowed to have opinions thee will be debate.

Perhaps the question of Adam's belly button is not a ridiculous argument?
    Agreed. People have many kinds of hobbies. Some collect stamps. Some build model cars, planes, boats or tanks. Some are into astronomy. Some are audiophiles.

And some might like to ponder interesting, debatable ideas that others might not lend a moment's thought to. Ridiculousness is in the eye of the beholder.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Jan '14 22:38
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Your problem is that you use this tiny scrap of a chapter of Genesis to base your entire belief system around. That is just nonsensical. I, too, believe that 'God created the heavens and earth'. But unlike you, I do not put God into a tiny little box that says "He MUST have done it exactly like THIS." Like you would even know.

I find Creationi ...[text shortened]... laws that He invented to accomplish it. After all, He had all the time in the world, and more.
    Don't let Satan's lie of "All it needed was time" deceive you. Evilutionists say the same thing. However, God does not need billions of years of time. That is why He did it in 6 days because He is so awesome.
  13. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 14:31
    Don't let Satan's lie of "All it needed was time" deceive you. Evilutionists say the same thing. However, God does not need billions of years of time. That is why He did it in 6 days because He is so awesome.
    and what exactly is a day to an eternal being?
  14. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 14:41
    Originally posted by Suzianne

I find Creationi ...[text shortened]... laws that He invented to accomplish it. After all, He had all the time in the world, and more.
    When i think of science and religion, they compliment each other. And when i look at evolution and creation, they too walk hand in hand.

All the steps in the days of creation, are the same steps (spread over millions of our years) that evolution shows. And when all was created, God presented the world with Adam and Eve, beings with conscience.

Genesis tells us that Cain left Adam and Eve to join others. Well who are these others? And to understand the continuation of the family of Adam and Eve. Who did their children "marry". Was it incest all the way?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 19:00
    When i think of science and religion, they compliment each other. And when i look at evolution and creation, they too walk hand in hand.

All the steps in the days of creation, are the same steps (spread over millions of our years) that evolution shows. And when all was created, God presented the world with Adam and Eve, beings with conscience.

Genesi ...[text shortened]... uation of the family of Adam and Eve. Who did their children "marry". Was it incest all the way?
    Just one of many camps around the world which numbered something like 1 million population around 10,000 BCE.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree