1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 20:15
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nobody said it did. It apparently also had nothing to do with the holy spirit. Or you, or anyone the Bible might have been addressed to. But then that applies to most of science. Why don't you just stick with Israelite stuff instead of trying to discuss things God doesn't want you to know about?
    Well, I thought the question was addressed to me.
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    25 Mar '13 23:41
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    What happened in Mexico had nothing to do with the Israelites.
    Presumably a meteorite strike in Jordan would have had an effect on and been noticed by the Israelites. Strange, but I can't find any mention of it in the big book of fables and fibs. Care to explain how the formation of a 6 km wide crater failed to be noticed by the people living right next door?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 00:03
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Presumably a meteorite strike in Jordan would have had an effect on and been noticed by the Israelites. Strange, but I can't find any mention of it in the big book of fables and fibs. Care to explain how the formation of a 6 km wide crater failed to be noticed by the people living right next door?
    Not everything that happens is mentioned in the Holy Bible. I am very sure that the Holy Bible was completed before that meteorite strike in Jordan. 😏
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 00:33
    Not everything that happens is mentioned in the Holy Bible. I am very sure that the Holy Bible was completed before that meteorite strike in Jordan. 😏
    So in the last 2,000 years? That begs the question why the Romans or the any of the others who have lived in that region since failed to notice an event of that magnitude. Indeed, the crater was only identified in 2006!
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 01:06
    Originally posted by Kepler
    So in the last 2,000 years? That begs the question why the Romans or the any of the others who have lived in that region since failed to notice an event of that magnitude. Indeed, the crater was only identified in 2006!
    Strange, isn't it? Who cares a rat's ass? 😏
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 03:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The one that gave the coup de grace to the dinosaurs, by the Yucatan penninsula. What year do you think that happened? It left a crater over 100 miles wide and is now covered by about a mile of debris. Why doesn't the bible say anything about such a huge event?
    I think it happened when the water burst forth and opened up the deep?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 06:00
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I think it happened when the water burst forth and opened up the deep?
    It is only speculation that a comet killed off the dinosaurs. There are accounts of large animals like we believe the dinosaurs looked like still living after the flood. They were called dragons by many, such as the Chinese. Some people say they are some still living today. We know that small dinosaur-like lizards still live today.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 14:31
    No answer from the religious right crowd.
    Oooooooooh, I know, I know!!

I'm about as far left as you can get, though, so I guess I don't qualify.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 16:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Oooooooooh, I know, I know!!

I'm about as far left as you can get, though, so I guess I don't qualify.
    I can do left! Left is good!
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 16:26
    It is only speculation that a comet killed off the dinosaurs. There are accounts of large animals like we believe the dinosaurs looked like still living after the flood. They were called dragons by many, such as the Chinese. Some people say they are some still living today. We know that small dinosaur-like lizards still live today.
    Actually, they know some dino's survived the comet strike. But only for a few million years at most. The current work points to two causes, over the top volcanism and the coup de grace of the comet. If the left hand don't get you the right hand will.

There is proof positive the comet struck in Yucatan and they find debris 700 feet deep as far away as Burmuda so it was the most significant hit in millions of years. Most of what we now call the America's were in flames. Followed by a century of no sun, that will kill most anything.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 19:59
    We know that small dinosaur-like lizards still live today.
    "we" ?

What are these donosaur-like lizards?

Crocodiles are probably related (but not descended from) dinosaurs and
    surely you are not refering to birds RJ? That would make you an evolutionist!
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 21:241 edit
    I can do left! Left is good!
    The answer is 66 million years. I thought it was 65 million, but it appears they've pushed it back another million since I was in school.

This resulted in the K-T event (which they now call the K-Pg event, grrrrrr) which separates the Cretaceous period from the Paleogene period. A layer of the rare element iridium (as well as some osmium) defines the geological layer laid down after the impact.

This comet hypothesis is new also. More research needs to be done. For years it was thought to be an asteroid, of the Baptistina family of asteroids, but recently it's been proposed that it was a ~10km sized comet (long period type) traveling ~32 km/s.

Yes, widespread devastation. Or as they say in Texas, that there's some good old-fashioned Texas barbecue. A climate similar to a nuclear winter (brought on by the impact) probably helped more species along the road to extinction even more so than the actual impact.

The obvious answer to your last question is because this occurred before man appeared on the planet.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 23:28
    Actually, they know some dino's survived the comet strike. But only for a few million years at most. The current work points to two causes, over the top volcanism and the coup de grace of the comet. If the left hand don't get you the right hand will.

There is proof positive the comet struck in Yucatan and they find debris 700 feet deep as far away as Bur ...[text shortened]... the America's were in flames. Followed by a century of no sun, that will kill most anything.
    The millions of years and a century with no sun is ridiculous. That is nothing but nonsense.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 23:30
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    "we" ?

What are these donosaur-like lizards?

Crocodiles are probably related (but not descended from) dinosaurs and
    surely you are not refering to birds RJ? That would make you an evolutionist!
    Haven't you heard of the komodo dragon and the Gila monster?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Mar '13 23:53
    Haven't you heard of the komodo dragon and the Gila monster?
    What is dinosaur-like about them?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree