1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:361 edit
    I am inviting Romans1009, Fetchmyjunk and dj2becker to a discussion about the trinity.

I am not a trinitarian by any definition.

Gents let’s start off by asking each of you if you are trinitarians?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:38
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I am inviting Romans1009, Fetchmyjunk and dj2becker to a discussion about the trinity.

Provide a definition and I’ll be happy to respond.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:39
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Provide a definition and I’ll be happy to respond.
    Thank you Romans1009 that’s your opening gambit. Let’s see how the others respond.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves

If you don’t know what a trinitarian is and can’t define the term, maybe you shouldn’t be using it.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    Dj2becker....?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    Thank you Romans1009 that’s your opening gambit. Let’s see how the others respond.
    I agree with Romans.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    If you don’t know what a trinitarian is and can’t define the term, maybe you shouldn’t be using it.
    Let’s wait for dj2becker shall we.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:41
    Becker was here posting a couple of minutes ago.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:42
    I agree with Romans.
    Does that mean you are agreeing with me?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:42
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Does that mean you are agreeing with me?
    Ah there you are, thank you for joining the thread.

Would you like to make a comment on the OP?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:43
    Becker was here posting a couple of minutes ago.
    I guess you can chew on this while you’re waiting for me, I mean him.

“The doctrine of the Trinity means that there is one God who eternally exists as three distinct Persons — the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Stated differently, God is one in essence and three in person. These definitions express three crucial truths: (1) the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct Persons, (2) each Person is fully God, (3) there is only one God.

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct Persons. The Bible speaks of the Father as God (Philippians 1:2), Jesus as God (Titus 2:13), and the Holy Spirit as God (Acts 5:3–4). Are these just three different ways of looking at God, or simply ways of referring to three different roles that God plays? The answer must be no, because the Bible also indicates that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct Persons.

For example, since the Father sent the Son into the world (John 3:16), he cannot be the same person as the Son. Likewise, after the Son returned to the Father (John 16:10), the Father and the Son sent the Holy Spirit into the world (John 14:26; Acts 2:33). Therefore, the Holy Spirit must be distinct from the Father and the Son.

In the baptism of Jesus, we see the Father speaking from heaven and the Spirit descending from heaven in the form of a dove as Jesus comes out of the water (Mark 1:10–11). John 1:1 affirms that Jesus is God and, at the same time, that he was “with God,” thereby indicating that Jesus is a distinct Person from God the Father (see also John 1:18). And in John 16:13–15, we see that although there is a close unity between the three persons, the Holy Spirit is also distinct from the Father and the Son.

The fact that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct Persons means, in other words, that the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father. Jesus is God, but he is not the Father or the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God, but he is not the Son or the Father. They are different Persons, not three different ways of looking at God.”
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:45
    Ah there you are, thank you for joining the thread.

Would you like to make a comment on the OP?
    What would you like to know. I will be perfectly honest with you even if you are trolling.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves

“The doctrine of the Trinity means that there is one God who eternally exists as three distinct Persons — the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Stated differently, God is one in essence and three in person. These definitions express three crucial truths: (1) the Father, Son, and Holy Sp ...[text shortened]... the Son or the Father. They are different Persons, not three different ways of looking at God.”
    “The personhood of each member of the Trinity means that each Person has a distinct center of consciousness. Thus, they relate to each other personally — the Father regards himself as “I” while he regards the Son and Holy Spirit as “you.” Likewise, the Son regards himself as “I,” but the Father and the Holy Spirit as “you.”

Often it is objected, “If Jesus is God, then he must have prayed to himself while he was on earth.” But the answer to this objection lies in simply applying what we have already seen. While Jesus and the Father are both God, they are different Persons. Thus, Jesus prayed to God the Father without praying to himself. In fact, it is precisely the continuing dialogue between the Father and the Son (Matthew 3:17; 17:5; John 5:19; 11:41–42; 17:1ff) that furnishes the best evidence that they are distinct Persons with distinct centers of consciousness.

Sometimes the Personhood of the Father and Son is appreciated, but the Personhood of the Holy Spirit is neglected. Sometimes the Spirit is treated more like a “force” than a Person. But the Holy Spirit is not an “it,” but a “he” (see John 14:26; 16:7–15; Acts 8:16). The fact that the Holy Spirit is a Person, not an impersonal force (like gravity), is also shown by the fact that he speaks (Hebrews 3:7), reasons (Acts 15:28), thinks and understands (1 Corinthians 2:10–11), wills (1 Corinthians 12:11), feels (Ephesians 4:30), and gives personal fellowship (2 Corinthians 13:14). These are all qualities of personhood.

In addition to these texts, the others we mentioned above make clear that the Personhood of the Holy Spirit is distinct from the Personhood of the Son and the Father. They are three real persons, not three roles God plays.

Another serious error people have made is to think that the Father became the Son, who then became the Holy Spirit. Contrary to this, the passages we have seen imply that God always was and always will be three Persons. There was never a time when one of the Persons of the Godhead did not exist. They are all eternal.”
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves

“The doctrine of the Trinity means that there is one God who eternally exists as three distinct Persons — the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Stated differently, God is one in essence and three in person. These definitions express three crucial truths: (1) the Father, Son, and Holy Sp ...[text shortened]... the Son or the Father. They are different Persons, not three different ways of looking at God.”
    No, I’d rather wait for dj2becker who is currently online. I’m sure he is anxious to post.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Mar '18 06:46
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    What would you like to know. I will be perfectly honest with you even if you are trolling.
    Have you managed to read the OP yet?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree