1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:081 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually, I think what you mean is that abiogenesis is the answer, not evolution. Evolution is merely the study of the progression of life forms already in existence, therefore, I take no issue with evolution.
    I misinterpreted your question.

If you are talking about how life got started then science obviously doesn’t yet have all the answers but, it has some of the answers: for example; we can be scientifically certain that the first living cell formed in anaerobic conditions (else the presence of oxygen would damage the genetic material through oxidation before it had a chance to self replicate + the early atmosphere of Earth had no free oxygen anyway) and all the basic chemical building blocks such as amino acids and genetic bases etc where definitely there at the dawn of life (because physical experiments simulating the early atmosphere and conditions of the Earth shows that amino acids etc would have spontaneously formed and become soluble in water and then become ever more concentrated in the water because that is exactly what happened in the lab experiments!)
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 08:151 edit
    Physiological effects are not what I am referring to, rather, I was referring to changes in peoples hearts and attitudes etc.
    Sorry about that -that was a misspelling on my part! It should have been “psychological” and NOT “physiological”! -I often get those two spellings confused.

But let me rephrase the question in the light of your reply:

In what way can observations of the changes in peoples hearts and attitudes etc of people coming to believe in a religion be “evidence” (even circumstantial evidence) that there is a god?
  3. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 12:22
    What? You think your better than flat earth creationists?
    you're
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 12:321 edit
    The Day of Judgment:

God:

"What about your fornications, your thefts, your lies, your murders, your unthankfulness, your adulteries, your idols, your murmuring, your backbiting, your judging, your covenant breaking, your violence, your greed, your disobidience to parents, your prayerlessness, your blaphamies, your gossips, and all your sins ?"

Sinner:

"Uhhhh ..... round earth, flat earth, round earth, flat earth ??? "
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 13:44
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The Day of Judgment:

[b]God:

"What about your fornications, your thefts, your lies, your murders, your unthankfulness, your adulteries, your idols, your murmuring, your backbiting, your judging, your covenant breaking, your violence, your greed, your disobidience to parents, your prayerlessness, your blaphamies, your gossips, and all your si ...[text shortened]... Sinner:

[/b]
    -- "Well dear God, every fornication of mine was kinda good, but to be frank I had the best with my wife;
    and OK, I grabbed some nickel from my mom's purse and got me some ice creams while a kiddo but woe I failed to steal big time like the monarchs and the rich gentlemen your church was constantly backing up for 2.000 years and counting;
    and I lied coz I wanted to get a day-off or to avoid some girls so ugly that even a sailor would pretend that he 's dead drunk in order to get rid of 'em;
    well I did not kill nobody and that 's bad I reckon -millions of people for thousand years used to kill in your name but me;
    unthankful I constantly was for I always wanted to get paid for my work time;
    never was an adulterer and I know that you consider such a thing too bad -I remember in your book something about that guy you saved, Job, who went drunk and slept with his daughters after you turned his curious wife into salt;
    idols, hmmm, you mean somethin' like Madonna?
    And I really murmured a lot when I had debates -somethin' went wrong with me and I was kinda lookin' for a consensus instead of screamin' and shoutin' in your name;
    and surely I backbited those Belgian priests that they had a good time with them kiddos, sorry eh;
    and I could not stand still, yes, I was always judging the politicians coz I was stupid enough not to understand that they mobilize their army and kill heathen civilians in the name of your will, God;
    my covenant with OT, NT and the Bible was broken coz of me I reckon, you see I could not become a blind follower but I wanted to use my silly brain instead.
    Violence is an issue, I admit I was never violent in your name, I never set on fire even one unbeliever;
    and greedy I am indeed, as I was always dreaming of a world without religionists killing each other in your name;
    with my parents we remained friends till this very moment -I mean with my mother coz my father 's dead and I just kept him in my heart;
    regarding prayers I only now that if one leads a good life and goes to church when he 'll pass away he will go to Texas;
    blasphemous I surely was, but I disliked gossips, and I don't know what my other sins could be;
    So what my dear God?"
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:102 edits
    The Day of Judgment:

[b]God:

"What about your fornications, your thefts, your lies, your murders, your unthankfulness, your adulteries, your idols, your murmuring, your backbiting, your judging, your covenant breaking, your violence, your greed, your disobidience to parents, your prayerlessness, your blaphamies, your gossips, and all your si Sinner:

[/b]
    Are you implying that your “all knowing god” would be so stupid as to somehow mentally confusing the obvious difference between talking about “ round earth, flat earth” etc with committing murder, acts of greed, theft etc?
    -If so, how could a supposedly “all knowing god” fail to see the obvious total absence of relevance one has to the other?
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:11
    Originally posted by black beetle
    -- "Well dear God, every fornication of mine was kinda good, but to be frank I had the best with my wife;
    and OK, I grabbed some nickel from my mom's purse and got me some ice creams while a kiddo but woe I failed to steal big time like the monarchs and the rich gentlemen your church was constantly backing up for 2.000 years and counting;
    and I lied c ...[text shortened]... iked gossips, and I don't know what my other sins could be;
    So what my dear God?"
    Very good.

However, standard is not jaywill. The standard is a normal man.

To God that would be Jesus Christ - Perfection. That is what God meant by "human being".

"All have sinned and come short of the glory of God."
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:13
    Very good.

However, standard is not jaywill. The standard is a [b]normal
    man.

To God that would be Jesus Christ - Perfection. That is what God meant by "human being".

"All have sinned and come short of the glory of God."[/b]
    Excellent my friend jaywill, but I was speaking for myself; I am the sinner atheist, not you🙂
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:13
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Are you implying that your “all knowing god” would be so stupid as to somehow mentally confusing the obvious difference between talking about “ round earth, flat earth” etc with committing murder, acts of greed, theft etc?
    No not at all.

I am implying that our preoccupation about technological advance and scientific knowledge dull us to the need to be reconciled to God.
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:16
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    How could a supposedly “all knowing god” fail to see the obvious total absence of relevance one has to the other?
    I think that jaywill implies that the sinner atheist are loosing their time trying to find out wether the Earth is flat or round instead of becoming good Christians and thus avoiding the sins. Am I right Jaywill??
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:19
    I think that jaywill implies that the sinner atheist are loosing their time trying to find out wether the Earth is flat or round instead of becoming good Christians and thus avoiding the sins. Am I right Jaywill??
    Furthermore, jaywill, in your opinion what would be the response of "god" to my replies?
  12. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:211 edit
    No not at all.

I am implying that our preoccupation about technological advance and scientific knowledge dull us to the need to be reconciled to God.
    Perhaps you believe that is true for theists but how can my or any other atheists preoccupation about technological advance and scientific knowledge “dull” me to the “NEED to be reconciled to God” when neither I nor any atheist believes there is a “God”?
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:45
    I was trolling.

I will butt out of your discussion now. Sorry.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:52
    I was trolling.
    Try fishing the river with a dry fly:

"He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman." Norman Maclean.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '08 15:592 edits
    Furthermore, jaywill, in your opinion what would be the response of "god" to my replies?
    Well black bettle. I would not say too much more in the way of imagination. But I would say this, hopefully for your benefit:

You don't understand what the holiness of God is.

Let me put it to you this way. If you and I have to answer to God for ONE sin ... we'll never make it.

We need the Savior Jesus. We need His propitiatory sacrifice for the sins of the world.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree