1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 12:08
    Originally posted by Dasa
    You have to have a reference point in determining what is true or false with regards to religion ............and the reference point is the authority.

The authority sets the standards.

To know what is the authority the person must at least have common sense and honesty, and in this way they can determine out of all the religions claiming to be the authori ...[text shortened]... o has common sense will know not to speed anyway without the reference of the driving rule book.
    You say:
    The traffic rule book tells the driver not to speed, but without the authority of the traffic rule book the honest person who has common sense will know not to speed anyway without the reference of the driving rule book.

I ask:
    How is one to know what is speeding if there is no speed limit posted?
  2. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 18:54
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    So basically what you are saying is this -

If you are honest in your 'determination process' you will come to the conclusion that the Vedas are the 'authority' (still not quite sure what that means), any other conclusion will be due to biased decisions in the 'determination process'.

What about people who seek no 'authority'?!
    In this world we have many authorities and we all submit to these authorities to gain knowledge and understanding.

You cannot become a doctor without submitting to the authority of the medical board.

You cannot become an engineer without submitting to the authority of the engineering college and gaining a certificate, and even thousands of years ago the son of a builder would learn from his father who was the authority for the son (these are examples only and may be challenged)

Authorities have all the answers and that's why they are the authority and we submit to them.

But I will tell you a great secret.

With regards God a person can gain knowledge from within without being part of a religion, but in this age that we live..... this is so difficult to do that it is impossible.

This is the age of Kali and no one is qualified to meditate to gain spiritual awareness......this is a fact.

So we need to take assistance from the spiritual authority if we want any chance to understand what it takes to return home back to Godhead.

If we follow a bogus authority it will not lead us back home to Godhead, but we will just take another birth in this world of suffering.

There is only one authority.

And because this world is corrupted there are many bogus authorities.

The most important evidence to know which is the true authority is that it will be an eternal teaching without beginning or end, and not a teaching coming along in the past few thousand years (this is most important to know in the determination process of finding the true authority)

Because most persons have only experienced bogus religions they are contaminated which leaves them suspect of all religion (understandable)
  3. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 18:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You say:
    The traffic rule book tells the driver not to speed, but without the authority of the traffic rule book the honest person who has common sense will know not to speed anyway without the reference of the driving rule book.

I ask:
    You can feel it

Feelings are our sixth sense.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 19:44
    You can feel it

Feelings can also lead us astray as it did Adam and Eve in the Holy Bible.
    So if it feels good, do it you say.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 22:18
    You can feel it

not only are you defining "feelings" as a sense but you are giving it a number! Fantastic! ... what authority do you have to do that?

(btw:
    there are at least 9 human senses, other animals have additional senses to us)
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 01:02
    You can feel it

There are between nine and twenty-one human senses, depending on who you ask, and how they define a sense. It is generally agreed that nine is the minimum. These are touch, taste, smell, sight, hearing, thermoception, nociception, equilibrioception, and proprioception. Hunger and thirst are also sometimes included. Generally, for something to qualify as a sense requires a free-standing sense organ associated with it. A sensory apparatus' primary source of information should be force data originating from outside the brain.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 01:16
    There are between nine and twenty-one human senses, depending on who you ask, and how they define a sense. It is generally agreed that nine is the minimum. These are touch, taste, smell, sight, hearing, thermoception, nociception, equilibrioception, and proprioception. Hunger and thirst are also sometimes included. Generally, for something to qualify as a se ...[text shortened]... paratus' primary source of information should be force data originating from outside the brain.
    Plagiarizing/not attributing your copy & paste is poor form, RJHinds. Poor form.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 01:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Plagiarizing/not attributing your copy & paste is poor form, RJHinds. Poor form.
    Sorry, If you want more you will find it at the following website:

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-many-human-senses-are-there.htm
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 01:45
    Sorry, If you want more you will find it at the following website:

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-many-human-senses-are-there.htm
    Thanks. But you really shouldn't have needed to be told. This is a community. Passing off other people's writing as your own is anti-social. I did it once a few years ago - and was chastised for it - so never again since. You have done it repeatedly despite people calling you on it. Anyway, thanks for admitting to it this time.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 02:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Thanks. But you really shouldn't have needed to be told. This is a community. Passing off other people's writing as your own is anti-social. I did it once a few years ago - and was chastised for it - so never again since. You have done it repeatedly despite people calling you on it. Anyway, thanks for admitting to it this time.
    That was not my intention. I am unable to copy and paste two things at
    once and simply forgot to go back to copy the reference source. But
    in any event it seems clear that you could tell it was a copy and paste.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 06:26
    That was not my intention. I am unable to copy and paste two things at
    once and simply forgot to go back to copy the reference source. But
    in any event it seems clear that you could tell it was a copy and paste.
    Plagiarism is plagiarism. Seems your 'apology' was not so sincere after all.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 01:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Plagiarism is plagiarism. Seems your 'apology' was not so sincere after all.
    Plagiarism or not I provided the information and source for anyone
    interested in it. When I was growing up there were only five senses
    reckonized.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 17:58
    You say:

I ask:
    You don't think you would know if you were speeding if you came upon a sharp turn in the road? Or if you see a deer on the road where you are going 90 mph? This is not rocket science. More like kinetic physics, intuitively learned or learned the hard way, either way, surviving the learning experience gives you a great lesson in how fast is too fast.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 21:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You don't think you would know if you were speeding if you came upon a sharp turn in the road? Or if you see a deer on the road where you are going 90 mph? This is not rocket science. More like kinetic physics, intuitively learned or learned the hard way, either way, surviving the learning experience gives you a great lesson in how fast is too fast.
    Maybe, that is why I get speeding tickets and have auto accidents. You
    are right, I just don't seem to have common sense, these days. Shame
    on me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree