1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 18:17
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, it isn't that easy. There isn't a wide agreement on the topic. But generally, the sayings about how to live in this world are more likely to be authentic, while those dealing with the next are less so.
    I was thinking that his actual words concerned what he perceived as threats to the Jewish religion as he knew it. The Roman occupation and their uneasy sharing of power with the Sanhedrin and the effect that was having on the religion was part of that. Basically the words that actually got him in trouble are in my mind, likely to be quotes or at least, true in meaning to his words. Mark is probably the best of them, because there is less "development" of the divine side, and of the doctrines.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 18:26
    Originally posted by JS357
    I was thinking that his actual words concerned what he perceived as threats to the Jewish religion as he knew it. The Roman occupation and their uneasy sharing of power with the Sanhedrin and the effect that was having on the religion was part of that. Basically the words that actually got him in trouble are in my mind, likely to be quotes or at least, true in ...[text shortened]... he best of them, because there is less "development" of the divine side, and of the doctrines.
    Yeah, if you compare the gospels side by side, there's definitely a growth in divine developments from Mark to Matthew, Luke and John.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 18:42
    Well, it isn't that easy. There isn't a wide agreement on the topic. But generally, the sayings about how to live in this world are more likely to be authentic, while those dealing with the next are less so.
    You wont get any support for your views from this faithonlysitontheirbuttsdonothingandgetsalvation lazy bunch. They even condemn those who follow Christ and actually try to go some good works.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 19:53
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    You wont get any support for your views from this faithonlysitontheirbuttsdonothingandgetsalvation lazy bunch. They even condemn those who follow Christ and actually try to go some good works.
    Preach it, brother. They'll see the error of their ways eventually.

Here's a story about another group that in the process of building the kingdom. They're also featured in this month's edition of 'Mother Earth News' (which is where I heard about them).
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/february/32.56.html?start=1

Beginning on the mean streets of Manhattan and migrating to the serenity of the Texas prairie, 43 Christian families are living together in a bold experiment on a 500-acre farm north of Waco, Texas. Many Christians talk about overcoming American individualism through Christian living. But the residents of Homestead Heritage go beyond talk.

This intentional Christian agricultural and crafts community blends Pentecostal fervor with Anabaptist simplicity and accountability. The group is divided into the Brazos de Dios residential community (named after the river that runs through its property) and Homestead Heritage, the umbrella organization under which they do all their work. Brazos de Dios residents are not Amish or even Mennonites, although they have forged close ties with traditional Anabaptists. Rather, they are Christians from many different walks of life engaged together in a modern-day experiment in radical discipleship...

You cannot find salvation while being complicit in keeping the machinery of injustice and oppression running. The only ones who are able to sponge away that stain are those who remove themselves from that fallen world and who refuse to comply with its mandates.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 20:55
    *I use the term 'god' metaphorically here, as I don't believe in an actual deity (as you know).
    Well, then, that explains it all then, don't you think? The ultimate disclaimer, as it were.

If there is no God, then we are indeed wasting our time waiting for him, and anything holy must be found from within.

But God is a real entity, and all holiness comes from Him alone. Salvation is a thing of God, which is what made the sacrifice of Christ necessary. A promise of life everlasting, in the presence of the most Holy. You will never, ever, ever in a million years see this created by Man on Earth. Man knows not anything Holy except by the will of God. My God is a living God, and will bring about His promise to Mankind through His will alone.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 21:02
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    [b]I would roughly estimate that Jesus actually said only about one third of the stuff attributed to him in the bible.

How do you pick and choose what is authentic and what is not?[/b]
    Do not be fooled. Satan would have you doubt all of it. Nourish your Faith. Feed it daily, do not allow it to become malnourished and disfigure the tree. Strong Faith is our only shield in these times of apostasy.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 21:16
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, then, that explains it all then, don't you think? The ultimate disclaimer, as it were.

If there is no God, then we are indeed wasting our time waiting for him, and anything holy must be found from within.

But God is a real entity, and all holiness comes from Him alone. Salvation is a thing of God, which is what made the sacrifice of Christ nec ...[text shortened]... d. My God is a living God, and will bring about His promise to Mankind through His will alone.
    ...But God is a real entity...
    Oh no "H"e isn't!
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 21:24
    Preach it, brother. They'll see the error of their ways eventually.

Here's a story about another group that in the process of building the kingdom. They're also featured in this month's edition of 'Mother Earth News' (which is where I heard about them).
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/february/32.56.html?start=1

[quote]Beginning on the mea ...[text shortened]... e who remove themselves from that fallen world and who refuse to comply with its mandates.
    They had better be careful or they may end up like another religious group in Waco, Texas. They called themselves the Branch Davidians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_Davidians

The Instructor
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 22:12

But God is a real entity, and all holiness comes from Him alone. Salvation is a thing of God, which is what made the sacrifice of Christ nec ...[text shortened]... d. My God is a living God, and will bring about His promise to Mankind through His will alone.
    Is that the only sentence you bothered to read?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 22:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    They had better be careful or they may end up like another religious group in Waco, Texas. They called themselves the Branch Davidians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_Davidians

The Instructor
    As usual, your comments are completely worthless.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 22:15
    Originally posted by Agerg
    [b]...But God is a real entity...
    Oh no "H"e isn't![/b]
    I do pray that God will make provision for a little personal education before accepting your "final answer". ALL atheists included.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 22:161 edit
    Is that the only sentence you bothered to read?
    No, but it had the obvious effect of rendering the rest as merely 'lip service'.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 22:38
    I do pray that God will make provision for a little personal education before accepting your "final answer". ALL atheists included.
    How endearing...utterly pointless, but endearing all the same! Tell me Suzianne, when "Satan" returns and drafts me into "his" army, will I get a magic sword? 🙂
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 22:48
    Originally posted by Agerg
    How endearing...utterly pointless, but endearing all the same! Tell me Suzianne, when "Satan" returns and drafts me into "his" army, will I get a magic sword? 🙂
    No. Satan will foolishly depend on man's technology, although I suppose it's possible there may be some 'dark magic' employed.

You might get an anti-grav fighter plane, though. Way better than just a sword, yes?

Satan won't make a personal appearance, just like God won't. It'll all be "AC vs. Kid Jesus!" "Live on the main stage!"

Thing is, it'll be just like the Tyson fights of the 90s. A clear KO in 30 seconds or less.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jun '13 23:32
    Bah...no magic sword!? Then neutral I shall remain!
    (since it just wouldn't feel right to be fighting hordes of angels with with normal weapons, and I won't fight for "G"od because I don't want to be on the losing team!)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree