1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Jun '13 00:39
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, it isn't that easy. There isn't a wide agreement on the topic. But generally, the sayings about how to live in this world are more likely to be authentic, while those dealing with the next are less so.
    Why would anyone in their right mind believe any of it is authentic? Who gets to decide what pertains to life, etc.
    In Genesis it says God created man in his image, but you have turned it around and have created God in your image.
    At least that is all I see, so far.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    06 Jun '13 02:10
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Why would anyone in their right mind believe any of it is authentic? Who gets to decide what pertains to life, etc.
    In Genesis it says God created man in his image, but you have turned it around and have created God in your image.
    At least that is all I see, so far.
    I agree with John Shelby Spong (the former Bishop of Newark) that, "Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found." If conceiving of god as creator deity is obsolescent, how might our understanding of god evolve to a new level?

What if god were reconceived as being akin to the Platonic Form for humanity? God would be that ideal, perfect Form for humanity of which all regular humans are imperfect copies of.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '13 03:031 edit
    Originally posted by vistesd
    The following trilemma holds with regard to salvation (at least in Christian models that I am aware of)—

(1) God saves (all);

(2) God fails to save (at least some); or

(3) God does not will to save (at least some).

The trilemma holds in the face of free will. The trilemma holds in the face of either a juridical (pardon/punishment) or afflict ...[text shortened]... nderground. I wanted to see if there are any new arguments from those who adhere to (2) or (3).
    I like Hillary Clinton's response.

"God fails to save or God does not will to save, what's the difference?" 😛
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '13 03:05
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I agree with John Shelby Spong (the former Bishop of Newark) that, "Theism, as a way of defining God, is dead. So most theological God-talk is today meaningless. A new way to speak of God must be found." If conceiving of god as creator deity is obsolescent, how might our understanding of god evolve to a new level?

What if god were reconceived as being a ...[text shortened]... be that ideal, perfect Form for humanity of which all regular humans are imperfect copies of.
    Are you suggesting that you are not perfect? 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree