Sam Harris's Intolerance

Sam Harris's Intolerance

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
11 Feb 14

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Feb 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
There is more than one consideration, to be sure. But the religious one is undeniable.
"Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma." -Sam Harris

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Feb 14

The post that was quoted here has been removed
"Natural" sounds like a good, wholesome word. We forget that Black Widows devour their own mates and that animals kill other animals for food all the time.

As far as rape being natural, have you seen what happens to a female dog in heat?

D

Moves
12 Feb 14
4 edits

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Feb 14

"In an interview a few years back with The Sun magazine, atheist bigwig Sam Harris had this to say about the comparable (de)merits of religion and rape:"

If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of either rape or religion,
I would not hesitate to get rid of religion." -Sam Harris

"You can read the whole interview starting here:"
http://manboobz.com/2012/11/18/[WORD TOO LONG]/

Interesting point of view....

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Feb 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make when in the presence of religious dogma." -Sam Harris
"Atheism is just a way of clearing the space for better conversations." - Sam Harris, 2012

D

Moves
12 Feb 14
2 edits

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Feb 14
1 edit

We appear to be in agreement, howbeit from differing rationales. "Religion" functions as an insidious/deceptive Satanic Counterfeit within the human race; religion by definition is man by man's efforts attempting to gain the approval of God on the basis of personal merit. Christianity is man's relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ: in Christianity God seeks to reconcile man unto Himself through the saving work [substitutionary spiritual death, i.e., separation from God the Father for three hours at the Roman Centurion's Golgotha Crucifixion Site] of the now risen, ascended and seated Christ. Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace you have been saved through/by faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the Gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast." Now you know the reason for my "Interesting point of view..." comment.

D

Moves
12 Feb 14

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Feb 14

No, no; you don't get to retreat behind "I was just pointing out the controversy". Not after you describe it as 'cocksure'.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
12 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Duchess64
"Sam Harris seems to believe that religion has done more harm to humankind
than rape has done to (primarily) womankind."

.... agree in principle with Sam Harris and each other regarding his observation of the harm 'religion' has done; that's all.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Feb 14

Well said.

Cape Town

Moves
12 Feb 14

But Sam Harris is not talking about the threat of being preached at is he?
Tell, me, what would a woman's choice be if it was 'be raped' or 'be stoned to death'?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
But Sam Harris is not talking about the threat of being preached at is he?
Tell, me, what would a woman's choice be if it was 'be raped' or 'be stoned to death'?
The Jews wanted to stone the woman caught in the act of adultry. Muslims would do the same thing. However, Jesus Christ forgave the woman. That is the difference between the gods of the Jew and the Muslim and the God of the Christians.

D

Moves
12 Feb 14
2 edits