1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:32
    From another thread:

Originally posted by Ivanhoe
    The Church is the most staunch and consistent advocate of the Sanctity of Life notion

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33594

Really? It seems to me that at least two of the major world religions (Christianity and Islam) both create unreasonable expectations of a life hereafter, removing any notion of real value in THIS life. Fine, one must lead an exemplary life here first before attaining the 'reward'...nevertheless, in the end it means nothing (this is often a criticism of atheism from apologetics like Craig). In the case of Islam, it is especially pernicious...offering 72 virgins to the one who dies a martyr. This, after a life of severe sexual repression.

So, how about it? If this life is a mere prologue to eternity, where's the value?
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:47
    Originally posted by David C
    So, how about it? If [b]this life is a mere prologue to eternity, where's the value?[/b]
    In fact, sanctity of this life is rarely a Christian value, and modern Christians have attempted to claim that they value the sanctity of life principally by highlighting the life of the unborn. Those actually breathing are of less value.
  3. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 05:53
    From another thread:

Originally posted by Ivanhoe
    [b]The Church is the most staunch and consistent advocate of the Sanctity of Life notion

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33594

Really? It seems to me that at least two of the major world religions (Christianity and Islam) both create unreasonable expectations of ...[text shortened]... So, how about it? If this life is a mere prologue to eternity, where's the value?[/b]
    In the Christian view it could be a part of us misses, or would like to know what it would be like to live again, in the Garden of Eden. Life understanding also is that we are incomplete. At one time we saw, walked, and talked with GOD. We now see the sin of mankind. That life without GOD, has no meaning. So now we strive to get right. To get back to that place of honor that we once had. In which GOD has promised that if we get it right, He will give us that place of honor once again.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 06:03
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    In the Christian view it could be a part of us misses, or would like to know what it would be like to live again, in the Garden of Eden. Life understanding also is that we are incomplete. At one time we saw, walked, and talked with GOD. We now see the sin of mankind. That life without GOD, has no meaning. So now we strive to get right. To get back to t ...[text shortened]... which GOD has promised that if we get it right, He will give us that place of honor once again.
    non sequitur
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 06:05
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    non sequitur
    I'm sure it'll get a rec, though.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Nov '05 18:45
    I'm sure it'll get a rec, though.
    I'm sorely tempted to prove you a prophet.😛
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 11:49
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    In fact, sanctity of this life is rarely a Christian value, and modern Christians have attempted to claim that they value the sanctity of life principally by highlighting the life of the unborn. Those actually breathing are of less value.
    Then that is a violation of Christian doctrine is it not?

All human life is believed to be God-given and as such - sacred.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 17:271 edit
    Ivanhoe: "The Church is the most staunch and consistent advocate of the Sanctity of Life notion."

Indeed that's what I said. It is interesting to note however in which context I placed this statement. It was placed in the context of the present opponents of the Roman-Catholic Church and Faith, among whom the advocates of a new Culture of Death, trying to discredit the Church in any way possible by accusing Her of all sorts of things in order to gain points in the present ideological and political battles. The Church needs to be discredited at any price, not because her opponents care about the victims of the Spanish Inquisition, not because they care about the pain and agony of sex-offenders's victims, not because they care about the fate of Shoa victims or about AIDS patients in Africa. No, they simply hop from one accusation to the other. The only red thread and motivation that can be detected is the zeal to discredit Her in any way possible.

My statement about the Roman-Catholic Church being the most staunch and consistent advocate of the Sanctity of Life notion in the debate about abortion, infanticide, voluntary and involuntary euthanasia, suicide, assisted suicide and eventually a new form of eugenics, is a statement belonging in the present debate between the so called Culture of Life and this new Culture of Death. This debate doesn't merely consist of words on the part of the advocates of the Culture of Death. No, they practise what they preach. The killing is allready taking place. You just need to look around you and acknowledge the facts.

This thread also can be placed in the context of trying to discredit the Church ...... if not, what is it all about then, David C ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree