1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 12:091 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    "The only benefit that I can think of for other planets is for a place to dump or trash and nuclear waste"

a planet!!!!! they only use you can think for a [b]PLANET!!!!!
    is to dump trash. i think you just made the baby jesus and god cry.[/b]
    I think God provided all we need right here on Earth if we had not sinned. However, I do not have enough knowledge to know if God meant for us to do anything on other planets. I am only speculating on how we might be able to make use of them, since I have heard we may be running out of places to dump our waste, especially a safe place to dump nuclear waste. A far away planet seems like a possibility.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 12:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think God provided all we need right here on Earth if we had not sinned. However, I do not have enough knowledge to know if God meant for us to do anything on other planets. I am only speculating on how we might be able to make use of them, since I have heard we may be running out of places to dump our waste, especially a safe place to dump nuclear waste. A far away planet seems like a possibility.
    god provided everything right here if you are american, but as the majority of the world live in poverty, without clean water or enough food. it suggests that maybe there isnt enough right here on earth.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 13:12
    god provided everything right here if you are american, but as the majority of the world live in poverty, without clean water or enough food. it suggests that maybe there isnt enough right here on earth.
    I don't think the people that do not have enough are going to get it on Mars or any other planet that I am aware of. I think they will probably be even worse off then.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 13:44
    I don't think the people that do not have enough are going to get it on Mars or any other planet that I am aware of. I think they will probably be even worse off then.
    do you think there was any point to men building the first set of wheels?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 13:46
    do you think there was any point to men building the first set of wheels?
    What a stupid question.
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 14:06
    What a stupid question.
    do you think there was a point to men building the first sails?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 15:10
    do you think there was a point to men building the first sails?
    Could be.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 15:16
    Could be.
    was there much point of men investing vast sums of cash into the first rail roads?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Oct '12 19:11
    was there much point of men investing vast sums of cash into the first rail roads?
    Investing money is usually done with the expectation of a greater return. But investing money is also a gamble that does not always pay off. I believe the enormous money spent on space exploration, if spent as an investment is foolhardy. 😏
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 11:58
    "The only benefit that I can think of for other planets is for a place to dump or trash and nuclear waste"

a planet!!!!! they only use you can think for a [b]PLANET!!!!!
    is to dump trash. i think you just made the baby jesus and god cry.[/b]
    He is in cahoots with Rush Limberger: Who said "The only good use for trees is to cut them down and turn them into toothpicks''. Same mind set.

BTW, I weathered the super storm better than I thought, a few downed branches but have 20 gallons of gasoline ready for my generator, which I belatedly found out is only about 24 hours, maybe 30 hours max. I thought I would have a lot longer run time with 20 gallons.

Cell phone tower died, no cell phone but house phone works, can't get in touch with my company, all in all, a sign not to go to work today with all the wind gust forecast.

Anyone who wants emergency power generators should think hard on what fuel to use. The best for several reasons is natural gas, clean (for the engine anyway) and as an emergency power supply, if you only need it once in ten years, the engine will fire up immediately, which won't happen with gasoline. At least assuming you have an electric start version with batteries maintained. A rope pull starter will work just fine even after ten years idle with a natural gas generator. Of course you have to have natural gas hooked up to your house.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 14:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    He is in cahoots with Rush Limberger: Who said "The only good use for trees is to cut them down and turn them into toothpicks''. Same mind set.

BTW, I weathered the super storm better than I thought, a few downed branches but have 20 gallons of gasoline ready for my generator, which I belatedly found out is only about 24 hours, maybe 30 hours max. I th ...[text shortened]... th a natural gas generator. Of course you have to have natural gas hooked up to your house.
    I am very pleased that you're ok, but man is that an inefficient generator (even by internal combustion
    engine standards)

If you are going for natural gas, you might be (if you can afford it) be better off using a methane based
    fuel cell. WAY higher efficiency, and no worries about it not starting up.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Oct '12 20:151 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I am very pleased that you're ok, but man is that an inefficient generator (even by internal combustion
    engine standards)

If you are going for natural gas, you might be (if you can afford it) be better off using a methane based
    fuel cell. WAY higher efficiency, and no worries about it not starting up.
    I googled them and found one brand that sells a 100 watt unit, $1,300 bucks US!

$13 dollars per Watt! And a 300 watt unit that appears to be just 3 stacked 100 watters, at 2600.

At that price, in terms of power per buck, it seems to me solar power would be better. Of course it would not be very good in a storm with no sun but in that technology, you need to store energy for use at night anyway.

At that price, it looks like a 3000 watt fuel cell stack would be over 20,000 US. That is a bit steep.

For 600 bucks and a 50 gallon drum of gasoline, about 200 bucks more, you could have a week or two of emergency power. Of course the gasoline would have to have additives to stabilize the gas so it doesn't turn into varnish over time so it is usable when needed (one thing that helps gasoline powered generators: a gasoline shut off valve, the idea being when finished running the generator, you just close the gas valve rather than hitting the off switch, that lets the residual gasoline in the carburetor burn out leaving it with no gasoline to turn to varnish, plugging up small orifices) I do that every time I fire it up and it starts right up every time because the carburetor is clean all the time that way.

I was close on the price of high powered fuel cells, 3 Kw, almost 14,000 US and a 5 Kw unit, 22 thousand.

http://www.fuelcellstore.com/en/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=155

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree