1. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    I know, I will come up with a new term which is culterigion and pay Webster and Wikki to add it to their definitions. Would that make you happy?
    As long as you acknowledge that Christianity belongs in the same category.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:28
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I don't think so. I think time plays a critical role here. All new religions are cults. Christianity was a cult during its first century. But after a while, if they survive, they become full fledged religions.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:361 edit
    I believe Christ is God in the flesh, so no, I don't veiw it as a cult.
  4. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:39
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I don't think so. I think time plays a critical role here. All new religions are cults. Christianity was a cult during its first century. But after a while, if they survive, they become full fledged religions.
    Is it? So if scientology lasts then it will become a religion?

For how long would it have to last?

Even in that case, then the only difference is longevity. That's not all that significant a difference.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:39

I also wonder why people think turning McCain into McCainocrat is actually witty/funny/intelligent.[/b]
    OK, how about Mcliberal? Mchillary? Ok, ok, how about Mcwanna-be-a-McCainocrat?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:40

Even in that case, then the only difference is longevity. That's not all that significant a difference.
    It has to survive a total of 50 years and no less. Also there must be a grand total of at least 1000 followers.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:41
    I believe Christ is God in the flesh, so no, I don't veiw it as a cult.
    Oh yeah, you redefined cult to mean something more convenient for you. I forgot.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:43
    Oh yeah, you redefined cult to mean something more convenient for you. I forgot.
    I defined what it meant to me. It is not my fault if you either disdain or ignore my interpretation of the term.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:45

I don't think there's a rule for how long it has to last. It could vary greatly, depending on how popular it became. I'm sure Mormonism was considered a cult for a long time. Many people consider it one still. But it's been around long enough, and has attracted enough followers, that I think it has become a full fledged religion. If Scientology continues to grow for another century, I'm sure it will gain in popular acceptance as well. In other words, I don't think there is any objective criterion for what distinguishes cults from religions. It is a purely subjective evaluation, subject to change over time.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:47
    [ I don't think there is any objective criterion for what distinguishes cults from religions. It is a purely subjective evaluation, subject to change over time.[/b]
    If you were following along, I think you will see that he does not care for "subjective" interpretations. It drives him a little.....well...Psycho. 🙄
  11. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:48
    I defined what it meant to me. It is not my fault if you either disdain or ignore my interpretation of the term.
    You are right, it isn't your fault that I choose to stick with the actual definitions of words in the English language and you do not.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 02:52
    You are right, it isn't your fault that I choose to stick with the actual definitions of words in the English language and you do not.
    Don't hurt me. :'(
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    I don't think there's a rule for how long it has to last. It could vary greatly, depending on how popular it became. I'm sure Mormonism was considered a cult for a long time. Many people consider it one still. But it's been around long enough, and has attracted enough followers, that I think it has become a full fledged religion. If Scientology continues to ...[text shortened]... s cults from religions. It is a purely subjective evaluation, subject to change over time.
    You are right, how much time it would take is subjective in this case.

I just don't really agree that time really makes that distinction - number of followers, maybe.

Whenever small religions start, the majority will be resistant to it and actually reject it - as it was with christianity. Hence the smaller new religions are seen as cults.

I think there isn't a semantic difference between a cult and a religion. The only real difference is whether the society accepts it as a religion or a cult. If the Heaven's Gate people were accepted immediately by a large amount of the population quickly - then it would be seen as a religion and not a cult but without the time lapse.
  14. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    Don't hurt me. :'(
    Wow, I can't even agree with you! 😉
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Feb '08 03:04
    You are right, how much time it would take is subjective in this case.

I just don't really agree that time really makes that distinction - number of followers, maybe.

Whenever small religions start, the majority will be resistant to it and actually reject it - as it was with christianity. Hence the smaller new religions are seen as cults.

I thi ...[text shortened]... tion quickly - then it would be seen as a religion and not a cult but without the time lapse.
    Perhaps, but religions tend not to happen overnight. They typically do require a significant amount of time to get going. People do not change their minds on that sort of thing very easily. It takes a few generations to really bring about that critical mass of opinion. Look at the current relations between Christian denominations and Judaism. For centuries, most Christians couldn't stand Jews. But now they applaud each other as being part of the great "Judeo-Christian" heritage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree