1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 18:161 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    The document may be authentic, but that doesn't make the content authentic or true.
    Why would Clement lie?

From his letter:

As for Mark then, during the time when Peter was in Rome,
    16 he wrote up the deeds of the Lord, not actually recording everything, nor
    17 hinting at the mysteries, but instead picking out the things he thought would
    18 increase the faith of those being taught. Then, when Peter was martyred, Mark went
    19 to Alexandria, bringing both his knowledge and the things he remembered hearing from Peter.
    20 From what he brought, he supplemented his first book with the appropriate items
    21 about knowledge for those who are making progress. He arranged a more spiritual
    22 gospel for the use of those being perfected. Nevertheless, he did not reveal the things
    23 which are not to be discussed. He did not write out the hierophantic instruction of the
    24 Lord, but added other deeds to the ones he had already written. Then, he
    25 added certain sayings, the interpretation of which he knew would initiate the hearers
    26 into the innermost sanctuary of the truth which has been hidden seven times. This is the way
    27 he prepared them, in my opinion, not ungrudgingly or unguardedly. And
    28 when he died, he left his writing to the church in

Plate II: Folio 1 Recto
    01 Alexandria, where it is even now still extremely carefully guarded, being read
    02 only to those who have been initiated into the greatest mysteries.
  2. Standard membertheprotectors
    Gandalf's Hero.
    And I should say????
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 19:52
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Well, the antichrist will be gay and Jewish. Maybe the gayness is part of the weird symmetry beyween him and Jesus.

Daniel 11:37

Wait, how did the SAB decide this verse makes him Jewish? Sounds more like an atheist to me.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/dan/11.html#37
    You are just racist and stupid for for thinking this and trying to prove it through Daniel 11:37.
    Why?
    Have you even tried to understand what it acctuly says there?
    The Gods of your ancestors...and on, and on.
    Come on Man read the bible of you going to take a the boald move of make a statment like that..
    Their is nothin the bible (old testament) against the jews (only in the new testament). AThousandYoung do you want to lurn how its done? (retorical)
    Daniel 12:1
    That put Michael as the formost Angel can you contradict me?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Jan '08 22:19
    Originally posted by theprotectors
    Their is nothin the bible (old testament) against the jews (only in the new testament). AThousandYoung do you want to lurn how its done? (retorical)
    Mebbe sumwon shud lurn yew yer leterz bifor yew tok 'bout lurnin' sumwon els.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 04:521 edit
    Originally posted by theprotectors
    You are just racist and stupid for for thinking this and trying to prove it through Daniel 11:37.
    Why?
    Have you even tried to understand what it acctuly says there?
    The Gods of your ancestors...and on, and on.
    Come on Man read the bible of you going to take a the boald move of make a statment like that..
    Their is nothin the bible (old testament) a ...[text shortened]... its done? (retorical)
    Daniel 12:1
    That put Michael as the formost Angel can you contradict me?
    I'm just going by what I'm told by admittedly hostile (to the religious right) media. As far as I'm concerned, the "anti-Christ" is a silly concept. No one villain has supernatural significance that other villains don't have.
  5. Illinois
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 08:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Stephen Patterson writes: "Today, however, there is almost unanimous agreement among Clementine scholars that the letter is authentic."

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/secretmark.html

So is it a "stretch" to say that the majority of scholars accept that the letter is genuine?

Smith, not being a thief, could only take pictu ...[text shortened]... originality of traditions." 3

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_miss4.htm
    It's interesting that you would go to such great lengths to defend this dubious document, yet without batting an eyelash utterly brush aside Mark 16:9-20.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 09:15
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    It's interesting that you would go to such great lengths to defend this dubious document, yet without batting an eyelash utterly brush aside Mark 16:9-20.
    Homosexuality is well documented by scientists under controlled *cough* conditions. 😳

The resurrection of deities...not so much.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 12:31
    From the Secret Gospel of Mark:

And they went to Bethany and there was a woman whose brother had died. And coming up to him, she prostrated herself before Jesus and said to him, "Son of David, have mercy on me." But the disciples rebuked her.

And becoming angry, Jesus went with her to the garden where the tomb was. And immediately a great sound wa ...[text shortened]... /secretmarktranslation.html

We can see why this part didn't make it into the NT!
    So... it's not that secret then?
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jan '08 14:12
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    How is the letter of Clement "dubious"?

Mark 16:9-20 is a separate issue but it is not included in the earliest copies of Mark that postdate Clement. It is rather clearly a later addition to justify the silliness of "driving out demons" and so forth that Jesus ridiculed in Matthew.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Jan '08 21:26
    Why would Clement lie?

From his letter:

As for Mark then, during the time when Peter was in Rome,
    16 he wrote up the deeds of the Lord, not actually recording everything, nor
    17 hinting at the mysteries, but instead picking out the things he thought would
    18 increase the faith of those being taught. Then, when Peter was martyred, Mark went ...[text shortened]... ully guarded, being read
    02 only to those who have been initiated into the greatest mysteries.
    Why would he lie? Because he didn't know the truth! 🙄
  10. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    06 Jan '08 23:22
    Originally posted by josephw
    The document may be authentic, but that doesn't make the content authentic or true.
    Exactly. Only a group of religious fundamentalists can determine whether any supposed gospel confirms the truth, in other words, their own established, entrenched dogma.
  11. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    07 Jan '08 07:16
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Yes it matters, because Christian organizations have been persecuting homosexuals for a long, long time.
    This is my only problem that keeps me from considering this religion...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree