1. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 12:27
    I think the biggest problem most people here have with Christianity is selfishess.It's not so much what you get....it's about Jesus,it's about God and His Spirit.I don't wish to subtract from anyone's good reading of the Bible here but the prayer you prayed wasn't soley accepting Him into your brain.Life is what it's about which yes does include our intelengence but this should only be a part and it should be a good part.Still 4 some it will be in God's time and not our own that good things will happen.Sometimes He tears us down especially when beginning the journey or turning back to Him.Sometimes He also builds us up!Either or if you have made a commitment then you just stick with it.
    It is easy for us to get robbed around here of faith in things like prayer.Prayer is real.I know.Try it if you feel it's right?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 13:56
    Originally posted by windmill
    I think the biggest problem most people here have with Christianity is selfishess.It's not so much what you get....it's about Jesus,it's about God and His Spirit.I don't wish to subtract from anyone's good reading of the Bible here but the prayer you prayed wasn't soley accepting Him into your brain.Life is what it's about which yes does include our ...[text shortened]... around here of faith in things like prayer.Prayer is real.I know.Try it if you feel it's right?
    I think Joyce's Ulysses was easier to comprehend than your post.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 14:02
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I think Joyce's Ulysses was easier to comprehend than your post.
    Stephen, an elbow rested on the jagged granite, leaned his palm against his brow and gazed at the fraying edge of his shiny black coatsleeve. Pain, that was not yet the pain of love, fretted his heart. Silently, in a dream she had come to him after her death, her wasted body within its loose brown graveclothes giving off an odour of wax and rosewood, her breath, that had bent upon him, mute, reproachful, a faint odour of wetted ashes. Across the threadbare cuffedge he saw the sea hailed as a great sweet mother by the wellfed voice beside him. The ring of bay and skyline held a dull green mass of liquid. A bowl of white china had stood beside her deathbed holding the green sluggish bile which she had torn up from her rotting liver by fits of loud groaning vomiting.
  4. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 16:131 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Stephen, an elbow rested on the jagged granite, leaned his palm against his brow and gazed at the fraying edge of his shiny black coatsleeve. Pain, that was not yet the pain of love, fretted his heart. Silently, in a dream she had come to him after her death, her wasted body within its loose brown graveclothes giving off an odour of wax and rosewood, her br ...[text shortened]... en sluggish bile which she had torn up from her rotting liver by fits of loud groaning vomiting.
    riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
    Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.
    The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn tuonn th unn trovarr hounawnska wn too hoohoordenenthurnuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumpiytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy.

--from Finnegans Wake
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 16:21
    Originally posted by vistesd
    (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn tuonn th unn trovarr hounawnska wn too hoohoordenenthurnuk!)
    Is it your contention that Joyce was a selfish writer?
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 16:31
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Is it your contention that Joyce was a selfish writer?
    How can I criticize someone who writes—

“My leaves have drifted from me. All. But one clings still. I’ll bear it on me. To remind me of.”

Very Zen, that!

Now, since I have quoted from the first page and the last page of the Wake, I am probably giving away how little I have read in the middle! Actually, last winter, my wife and I set out on a project of reading Finnegans Wake to each other. It was quite fun. Unfortunately, we got interrupted at about 50 pages in and never resumed. Maybe we can try again this year…
  7. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 21:10
    I think you all argue my point!
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 21:17
    I think you all argue my point!
    The posters above were very selfish to hijack your thread like that.
  9. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 21:231 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    The posters above were very selfish to hijack your thread like that.
    It's expected....but the point is anything greater than a+b=c is not acceptable for fact everyone wants an answer for all to see.I also meant what i wrote.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 21:24
    It's expected....but the point is anything greater than a+b=c is not acceptable for fact everyone wants an answer for all to see.I also meant what i wrote.
    Shut up, Joyce.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 22:36
    I think the biggest problem most people here have with Christianity is selfishess.
    Do you mean people have a problem with Christianity because they are selfish, or they have a problem with Christianity because many Christians seem to be selfish, or because they (those who have a problem with Christianity) think Christianity is a selfish religion? I frankly have no idea whether Christians or non-Christians are more selfish on average, but I do feel there is something selfish in caring so much about your own salvation.
  12. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '05 22:481 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Do you mean people have a problem with Christianity because they are selfish, or they have a problem with Christianity because many Christians seem to be selfish, or because they (those who have a problem with Christianity) think Christianity is a selfish religion? I frankly have no idea whether Christians or non-Christians are more selfish on average, but I do feel there is something selfish in caring so much about your own salvation.
    Sometimes i don't really know exactly what i mean....yet i'll still say it.I think all people have become too selfish as it is more to do with what we gain than give in life than with an honest heart and it's a downhill slide we head.Jesus is the opposite as he gave his life....one of the reasons i love Him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree