1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 08:521 edit
    Sentence to Memorize, Just in Case

"He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not
    the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him." (ASV)

http://www.godvine.com/bible/John/3-36

(Please see Commentaries and Explanatory Notes)
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 10:38
    The sentence clearly states that belief is a requirement, so memorising it 'just in case' is not going to help anyone.

So, have you memorized similar sentences from all the other possible religions you can lay your hands on 'just in case' or do you not practice what you preach?
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 10:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    The sentence clearly states that belief is a requirement, so memorising it 'just in case' is not going to help anyone.

So, have you memorized similar sentences from all the other possible religions you can lay your hands on 'just in case' or do you not practice what you preach?
    Sheesh, my goodness.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 11:56
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    Sheesh, my goodness.
    Huh?
  5. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 13:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead

Yeah, what he said.

--- Penguin
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 15:361 edit
    Memorizing the word of God is good. For the one who is already saved it is still good to memorize such a passage.

To read the word, sing the word, memorize the word, speak the word muse on the word, meditate on the word and pray over and with the word are all very profitable.

The word of God cleanses the open hearted believer. So Paul speaks of "the washing of the water in the word. "

To the closed hearted the word can be an agent to make them harder and harder.

Over the years we have seen some people being made more and more hardened in obstancy against God do to the repeated contact with Scriptures.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 16:50
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sentence to Memorize, Just in Case

"He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not
    the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him." (ASV)

http://www.godvine.com/bible/John/3-36

(Please see Commentaries and Explanatory Notes)[/b]
    "He that can turneth belief on and off like a light switch hath faulty logic circuits. Amen."
  8. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 17:22
    Originally posted by sonship
    Memorizing the word of God is good. For the one who is already saved it is still good to memorize such a passage.

To read the word, sing the word, memorize the word, speak the word muse on the word, meditate on the word and pray over and with the word are all very profitable.

The word of God cleanses the open hearted believer. So Paul speaks of [b]" ...[text shortened]... ade more and more hardened in obstancy against God do to the repeated contact with Scriptures.
    I would ask you to prove two things.

1. How do you know there is a God?

2. How do you know that if there is a God, then these are his words?

There are many religions. There are even many branches within the same religions.

How do you know that God exists and if he does then which religion is the
    correct religion?
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 18:461 edit

The word of God cleanses the open hearted believer. So Paul speaks of [b]" ade more and more hardened in obstancy against God do to the repeated contact with Scriptures.
    [/b]Alternatively, you could think for yourself.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 20:493 edits

There are a number of very good reason I believe I am on the right track to believe in God's existence.

Of these probably the most powerful one is that Jesus Christ made Himself real to me upon my crying out to Him in my time of intense need.

The help that I received I am very sure was not sourced in me.
    Upon examining His life and words in the New Testament I found that this was a believable man whose integrity was beyond my questioning.

Jesus is the biggest reason that I believe in God.

2. How do you know that if there is a God, then these are his words?

I would refer you back to my first reply. In my time of intense need the trustworthiness of Jesus was manifested to me. I simply got subdued and convinced by the power of His personality. Yet He is gentle but encredibly strong.

When words like "You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free" came alive in my personal experience I was confirmed that I was on the right track to trust this man, His words, His resurrection, His availablity and certainly all that He says about His Father.

In a word, Jesus is believable. Many many things in the world are not that believable. Jesus Christ is believable.

There are many religions. There are even many branches within the same religions.

How do you know that God exists and if he does then which religion is the
    correct religion?

I think that many religions may contain elements of truth. To the degree that they contain some aspect of true things, they will attract some truth seekers.

Most of the great religions of the world have some amount of true teaching somewhere. So people can be held by that portion of the belief which contains some truth.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 20:552 edits
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Alternatively, you could think for yourself.[/b]
    Alternatively, you could think for yourself.

Certainly in applying the encredible truths of the Bible to each area of my life there is plenty of occasion to think for myself.

"How now, can I apply THIS particular rich aspect of Jesus Christ to my own experience?"

But the big picture of why we are here ? That has come to me by revelation - God reaching man in communication. Had He not told us we would be clueless in the dark.

Look at the thread on the meaning of the universe and life. Look at the eight or so contributors to that thread. No one had any idea. They should stop rejecting the Bible's words to mankind about this.
  12. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 21:06

There are a number of very good reason I believe I am on the right track to believe in God's existence.

Of these probably the most powerful one is that Jesus Christ made Himself real to me upon my crying out to Him in my time of intense need.

The help ...[text shortened]... ing somewhere. So people can be held by that portion of the belief which contains some truth.
    I would respectfully put it to you that in your time of helplessness
    and intense need you received help from another human being
    or organization. They helped you and put you back on the right track.

You were not helped by any supernatural being or power.

None of these organized religions have the answer to mans questions.

You were helped by family or friends or an organization which put your
    train back on the rails and once you got moving again you were able
    to help yourself. That is the true measure of a man.

Yes we all need help from time to time. It's good when someone
    gives you a leg up. But in the end it's down to you.

Only you can lead your life. No one else can do it for you.

The only person you can truly rely on 100% is you.

Not any fantasy or religion or superstitious supernatural fairy tale.
  13. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 23:06

The help ...[text shortened]... ing somewhere. So people can be held by that portion of the belief which contains some truth.
    I believe the existence of plenty of other equally dramatic conversion stories to other religions indicates that such personal revelation cannot be taken as evidence of the truth of any particular religion.

However I respect the honesty of your answer and serious manner in which you responded to the question. The forum needs more of this.

--- Penguin.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Feb '13 23:48

And you would be very wrong.

Now I want you to listen to me. No one, but no one can do an inside work like Jesus Christ.

Jesus can get down deeper and more intimately inside a man's heart and life than any organization of natural person can go.

In the privacy of one's aloneness with God, one can meet this living Savior.

You were not helped by any supernatural being or power.

That is your assumption and your expectation. You desire that it be so.
    This is what you need that God could be dismissed.

You are welcomed to thing that way if you wish. Run with it.
    I remember what it was to be a skeptical agnostic unbeliever. And I know what it is to meet the available Lord and Savior Jesus in the shadows of life.

You cannot advize me as to what happened to me.
    You weren't there.

"He who is joined to the Lord is one spirit" (1 Cor. 6:17)

I also remember the foolish confidence of thinking that I REALLY knew what people who believed in Christ were doing. I thought they were not clear, but I was clear.

Then Christ manifested Himself in my being.

Having said that I would add that learning to discrimiate presumption from real faith is a life long lesson. I do not believe in a supersitious way. We do learn to discern spiritual reality from obsession.

After all you are born to mature. And you are born again ALSO to grow and mature spiritually.

One other thing. That others may have helped lead one to Jesus does not make Jesus not legitimate. But rather than discribe this as oganizational I would discribe it as "organic."

Sure, others can be used by the Holy Spirit to lead someone to meet Christ.

None of these organized religions have the answer to mans questions.

Since I have mentioned Christ as a Person repeatedly, I both agree. But I have been speaking of Christ the living and available Person.

You mentioned "Christianity." I never mentioned "anity." I only mentioned Christ.

You were helped by family or friends or an organization which put your
    train back on the rails and once you got moving again you were able
    to help yourself. That is the true measure of a man.

I was not "helped" from all my problems. I was helped to see that myself was the main problem apart from God.

You need to convince yourself that only psychology exists, only organized religion exists, only culture exists. You need that to confirm your kind of humanism.

You are speaking out of your wishful thinking.

I'll tell you what. If some day the cold hard truth of Jesus not being raised from the dead hits me like a ton of bricks, I'll let you know.

But it hasn't happened yet. And there have been many a times when it could have. I have something that the world cannot give. And the world cannot take it away.

Yes we all need help from time to time. It's good when someone
    gives you a leg up. But in the end it's down to you.

It is not longer a matter of needing help primarily. It is a matter of why I am here and what is the eternal purpose of God.

If I drop Christ and take up your philosophy of life, I fear that I'll be left with no meaning to my life at all. You have no answers to the really big questions of human life.

What do you have that is better than the Son of God?
    Put it out there. This is a Spirituality Forum.
    What do you have ??

I fear you are clueless but skeptical. I do not assume people have wisdom simply because they can be skeptical about the Bible.

Only you can lead your life. No one else can do it for you.

I want to be one with Christ.

What do you have that is better for me to be one with ?
    What do you offer that is superior to the Son of God, Jesus ?

It is an unspeakable enjoyment that we can live in union with Jesus.
    Look at His life. And He lived in oneness with the Father.
    As He lived by the Father we can live through Him.

"As the living Father sent Me and I live because of the Father, so he who eat Me shall also live because of Me." (John 6:57)

I am more impressed with Jesus living through the Father and us living through Christ in the same way.

If I had 10 lives to live on earth, I would not want to waste ONE of them living apart from Jesus Christ.

The only person you can truly rely on 100% is you.

I rely on Christ in me. I rely on me living in Christ on a blended way of union.
    This fulfills God's eternal purpose. And without me living in God's eternal purpose human life is vain.

Not any fantasy or religion or superstitious supernatural fairy tale.

What do you have that is superior to Christ the Son of God ?
    I don't care how much you can shout fairy tale and religion.

If I drop Christ and take up your life's philosophy what do you offer me ?
    Not a whole - heckava- helleva lot.

Point me to your posts on this forum where you give definite answers to the biggest questions of human life and meaning. What's the name of the thread. Let me see what you say compared to what Jesus says.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    25 Feb '13 08:50

And you would be very wrong.

Now I want you to listen to me. No one, but no one can do an inside work like Jesus Christ.

Jesus ...[text shortened]... me of the thread. Let me see what you say compared to what Jesus says.
    This seems to be contradicting to the requirement of faith. If jesus came into your being and made himself known to you then you need no faith as you have actual knowledge of his existence.

I would suspect that you were in an emotional state and prey to your own mind, however I doubt this would persuade you and I dont know if you being persuaded is for the best. All I can say is if Jesus makes you happy and your reliance on him helps steady your legs through struggles, regardless of our differing opinions on his existence, then I say more power to you. The only thing I dislike from those who practise religion is when they try to force it upon me or fail to keep an open mind. I appreciate that you, thus far, have shown neither of these traits and come a lot closer to converting me... Not that a lot closer means much when the distance is infinite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree