1. Joined
    24 Mar '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 07:56
    What is the Definition to you?

Is this the legal standing to keep out Christmas displays, and in God We Trust on our money?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 09:03
    Originally posted by freightdog37

Is this the legal standing to keep out Christmas displays, and in God We Trust on our money?
    I think the idea is:
    1. A religious organization should not run the government as it is inherently undemocratic. (and various other reasons)
    2. The government should not favor one particular religion and thus should try to avoid getting directly involved in religion completely.
    3. Religion should not be forced upon the populace eg in public schools, pledges, Christmas displays, adverts on bank notes etc.

Sadly my home country of Zambia does not have this principle and declared itself a "Christian Nation" - mostly so that the ruling party could get more votes - and religious education (Christian) is compulsory in many public schools.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 10:42
    I notice that rhp doesn't believe in separation of church and chess. The logo has gone all Christmassy 🙂
  4. England
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 11:47

in god we trust , jesus i trust in you .render to caesar what belongs to caesar and to god what belongs to him.
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 21:34

No.

It's to try to prevent the abuse of people in minority. If the state and religion becomes intertwined the limit of abuse potential soars to insanity.
  6. At the Revolution
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 22:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I notice that rhp doesn't believe in separation of church and chess. The logo has gone all Christmassy 🙂
    Every major corporation and business attempts to court the majority of customers so that business is better and subscribers/registrars can say "Oh, that's cute. A pawn with a Santa Claus hat."

😉
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 23:22

It means that the government should not officially endorse any religion.

Yes, I think we ought to take "In God We Trust" off of our money.

Yes, I think that public funds [our tax dollars] should not pay for any religious displays.
  8. Joined
    24 Mar '07
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 09:04
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

Yes, I think that public funds [our tax dollars] should not pay for any religious displays.
    Does in God we trust on our money violate the so called separtion of church and state.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 09:42
    Does in God we trust on our money violate the so called separtion of church and state.
    Most definitely.

If it said "Satan rules" or "God does not exist", would you object?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 20:16
    Yes.
  11. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 20:25
    The first amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." etc. Having the phrase "In God we Trust" on our currency might be the policy of the US national mint but I don't think it's a "law" passed by congress, so it's probably not a violation of the constitution.

Having said that, it violates the principle of religious neutrality in government, and overall it's bad form. I think it should probably be removed, but I doubt it's illegal or anything like that.
  12. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 20:34
    The concept of god is not tied to any specific religion.
  13. Joined
    16 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 20:42
    It is however tied to a specific category of religions, specifically monotheist religions. And it was specifically Christian groups who led the charge to add the phrase to our currency following the civil war, for the stated reason that, otherwise, the US would be a "heathen nation."
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Dec '07 23:26
    Originally posted by darthmix
    The first amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." etc. Having the phrase "In God we Trust" on our currency might be the policy of the US national mint but I don't think it's a "law" passed by congress, so it's probably not a violation of the constitution.

Having said that, it violates the principle of religi ...[text shortened]... think it should probably be removed, but I doubt it's illegal or anything like that.
    http://www.treas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.shtml

Congress indeed passed laws to add this slogan to US currency, and thus violated the First Amendment.
  15. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '07 03:11
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

Amen! 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree