1. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 19:30
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    ..Tragically, my sermon was delayed .....
    Tragic for who. Not for us.
    Most of the readers Im sure think you write a pile of garbage.
  2. Playing with matches
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 20:03
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Tragic for who. Not for us.
    Most of the readers Im sure think you write a pile of garbage.
    Blow it out your ass Sparky.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 20:11
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Blow it out your ass Sparky.
    Thats how you get your sermon !
  4. SEMO
    Moves
    18 Aug '08 20:24
    My evaluation for the third round of the Sermon Competition:
    Vistesd
    Score: 93/99

Integrity with the passage 30/33
    Creativity 30/33
    Convincing manner 33/33

You stayed with the message after the first few paragraphs. I didn't give the full points on creativity because of how long it was and the way it was presented was more for the college student rather than the average person. Other than that, you made it very convincing and enlightening.

Integrity with the passage 33/33
    Creativity 30/33
    Convincing manner 33/33
    I loved reading your sermon, you provided scripture which is very good. You stayed with the message very well so I gave full points for that. You could have used a little more creativity which would have made it more interesting to read. However, it was very convincing especially with using the scripture and stories from the Bible.

Integrity with the passage 18/33
    Creativity 30/33
    Convincing manner 33/33

I didn't see much about the topic presented in your sermon. However, the creativity was good and it was also very convincing. Though you were not on topic, it was a good sermon, and you did stay on the topic of the sermon you presented. I did like they way you presented your topic, it would have been a good sermon for the open round.

Integrity with the passage 33/33
    Creativity 25/33
    Convincing manner 20/33

Your way of presenting justification was a little like saying 'this is the way it is' with out showing why. If you were giving this sermon to children they would have a lot of questions afterwards. The creativity was not as good as your other sermons either. You did however stay with the topic.
  5. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 00:38
    If the sermon topic is ever about throwing pearls before swine, I'll have a great personal testimony to share.
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 01:05
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    If the sermon topic is ever about throwing pearls before swine, I'll have a great personal testimony to share.
    Don't let these Philistines diminish work that is obviously divinely inspired.
  7. Playing with matches
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 01:07
    Thats how you get your sermon !
    I know my audience.
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 04:56
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    I didn't give the full points on creativity because of how long it was and the way it was presented was more for the college student rather than the average person. Other than that, you made it very convincing and enlightening.
    Yeah. Dumb it down a bit, Vistesd. If you use big words and ideas, people
    won't be motivated to develop their faith into something as mature as yours.
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 10:53
    Sister Mimoretta is on vacation so I'm delaying the judging by a little bit for this round. I'm still studying these sermons carefully.
  10. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 14:25
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Yeah. Dumb it down a bit, Vistesd. If you use big words and ideas, people
    won't be motivated to develop their faith into something as mature as yours.
    the point that you miss here is that many people tune you out if you talk over their heads. Most of the people in an audience, congregation, our in a unitarian group are not college educated. Faith has to be accessable to everyone, not just the educated.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 14:58
    Originally posted by duecer
    the point that you miss here is that many people tune you out if you talk over their heads. Most of the people in an audience, congregation, our in a unitarian group are not college educated. Faith has to be accessable to everyone, not just the educated.
    You mean your Bible is missing this verse:

3 Blessed are the theology professors: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

??
  12. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 17:13
    You mean your Bible is missing this verse:

3 Blessed are the theology professors: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

??
    4. blessed are the smart arses for theirs will be not burnt in a frying pan😛
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 18:171 edit
    So let the "uneducated" (if this is even the right word - I don't think anyone needs a degree in theology to understand vistesd's sermon - they just might have to expand their vocabulary a bit) choose a pastor that speaks on their level. Why should every preacher have to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator? Personally, I'd rather hear a well-crafted sermon that provokes thought.
  14. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 20:52
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    So let the "uneducated" (if this is even the right word - I don't think anyone needs a degree in theology to understand vistesd's sermon - they just might have to expand their vocabulary a bit) choose a pastor that speaks on their level. Why should every preacher have to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator? Personally, I'd rather hear a well-crafted sermon that provokes thought.
    you can do that with a simpler vocabulary. You don't need 8 syllable words and a thesaruas to write a good sermon
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 21:06
    you can do that with a simpler vocabulary. You don't need 8 syllable words and a thesaruas to write a good sermon
    OK - let's test that theory.

Give me a replacement for the word 'existential' in simple language.

And bear in mind that the judges are also picky about sermon length, so it must be succinct.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree