1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 21:26
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    OK - let's test that theory.

Give me a replacement for the word 'existential' in simple language.

And bear in mind that the judges are also picky about sermon length, so it must be succinct.
    existential means to be grounded in existance, whatever words you use will depend on the nature of the topic.

"being grouded in existance" will be much easier for the average lay person that hasn't had college level philosophy to understand, its not dumbing down, its being inclusive
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 22:491 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    existential means to be grounded in existance, whatever words you use will depend on the nature of the topic.

"being grouded in existance" will be much easier for the average lay person that hasn't had college level philosophy to understand, its not dumbing down, its being inclusive
    Yes, if only he had thought of that.
    We recognize each other—now, perhaps, as unique figure; now, perhaps, as just a vague part of the background of our own immediate existence—as being inextricably and inescapably entangled in the same fabric of existence...
    (emphasis added)
    Oh, wait, he did! 😛
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 07:08

Give me a replacement for the word 'existential' in simple language.
    Pretentious bull faeces.
  4. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 12:06
    Yes, if only he had thought of that.
    We recognize each other—now, perhaps, as unique figure; now, perhaps, as just a vague part of the background of our own immediate existence—as being inextricably and inescapably entangled in the same fabric of existence...
    (emphasis added)
    Oh, wait, he did! 😛
    perhaps in your "zeal" to argue, you missed that my review placed his as the best sermon for this round. That being said, I mostly agree with pb's assertion that the first section was a bit wordy, it reads better than it "speaks"
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Aug '08 18:00
    perhaps in your "zeal" to argue, you missed that my review placed his as the best sermon for this round. That being said, I mostly agree with pb's assertion that the first section was a bit wordy, it reads better than it "speaks"
    My objection had nothing to do with scoring.
  6. SEMO
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 15:47
    So let the "uneducated" (if this is even the right word - I don't think anyone needs a degree in theology to understand vistesd's sermon - they just might have to expand their vocabulary a bit) choose a pastor that speaks on their level. Why should every preacher have to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator? Personally, I'd rather hear a well-crafted sermon that provokes thought.
    1Co 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
    1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
    1Co 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
    1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:
    1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 16:44
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    1Co 2:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
    1Co 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
    1Co 2:3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
    1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching w ...[text shortened]... wer:
    1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.
    Well, bully for the apostle Paul, but the sermon under discussion is from a Buddhist perspective, not a Christian one.
  8. SEMO
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 17:45
    Well, bully for the apostle Paul, but the sermon under discussion is from a Buddhist perspective, not a Christian one.
    I posted the scripture because it is what came to mind when I read your post. 😉
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 17:27
    the beauty of buddism, is that can be incorporated into virtually any religious philosophy, and used to enhance it.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 20:57
    the beauty of buddism, is that can be incorporated into virtually any religious philosophy, and used to enhance it.
    It doesn't, however, seem to work in reverse, as PB tried to do.
  11. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 21:25
    in that instance I would agree
  12. SEMO
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 21:45
    NO, I didn't try to do anything. Just thought I would post the verses that came to mind when you made your statment. I was not saying they go by the verses.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 22:44
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    NO, I didn't try to do anything. Just thought I would post the verses that came to mind when you made your statment. I was not saying they go by the verses.
    Well, I'm also not a Christian, so I wouldn't 'go by the verses' either. I suppose you were talking to yourself with that post.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 16:30
    Sermon Competition Round 3

A word of introduction. This round gave me a lot to ponder and that may have been my reason for delaying my judging, in addition to Mimoretta’s vacation. You could not ask for a more varied expression of social justice. I had to look at my own perceptions of what I considered social justice and where I have heard it “preached.” In this respect none of them fit my “history.” But that is OK, as we look to appreciate other viewpoints and seek to grow in our understanding.

I will start with Visteds. When I think of social justice I tend to think of corporate sin, such as the sin of institutional racism, sexism, etc. I found your reflection to be one that was more personally directed. About the third time I read it I began to get more of a corporate or global feel to it when you cited our universal transition to death. I would have liked to have heard a personal story about suffering that you experienced or witness and how the “shared awakening” brought justice. Your reflection would probably find a very receptive and understanding audience at a Unitarian church or a dialogue forum for multi-faith experience. I found myself more in an learning mode as I read it as I am not from that tradition. The call to justice would first have to awaken me which is where it all begins if I heard you right. With this I agree. Good job. 92.

DoctorScribbles: Where to begin? What is most interesting and ironic in your sermon and Visteds sermon is that you both used the same phrase “just enough” or “just so sameness of such things.” Obviously you all took different paths. I have often felt that a good children’s sermon, if done correctly, is actually for adults. You preach to the children, but there is also a message for the adults as there attention span is not long enough for most sermons. I think your sermon is the one where you get fired, but take comfort as our Lord said no prophet is welcome in his own land. Your sermon would probably be best delivered in a logic class in a seminary (if there is such a thing). I think where you wanted to go is to point out that problems of justice begin with incongruence. You pointed out incongruence in the Bible. Share a story of what happens when we don’t attend to this incongruence in what we read. How does this get to the incongruence of a person’s ethic? Of course, you realize that on the way home from church, children will ask their parents “Mommy, what’s a Sodomite?” There will be an opportunity for you to take this “energy” to an upcoming round. 89.

Whodey: You used to passages that I would not have considered putting together to address the idea of social justice. You pick the lowest and the highest and unite theme around the theme that “whether we are of low estate for high estate we have the same need for justice.” I tend to see both stories as pointing out the desire for healing, but I understand your point. Like the three previous entries, I would invite you to share a personal story where you found the idea of justice coming out. Have you been discriminated against for being a certain race or sex or income level? Have you ever been a victim of the poverty of ideas because you had too much wealth? There are a lot of ironic twists you can do around the theme of poverty and race. The previous round’s passage probably was a better passage for this theme. One of the ideas I take from the woman with the issuance of blood is where it occurs. It is between two stories of what is seen as more miraculous or dramatic healings. I think they call that “bracketing” in intellectual circles. One way you could approach this is that some justice can take place on a very personal level if we open ourselves to how we are touched. (see Visteds’ entry). Well done. 89

Shavixmir: I kind of felt like I was at a recruiting seminar for a cult. What did you think would be the outcome or the reaction of your sermon? I tend to think people would listen, but there would be little incentive to change. I heard a lot of general statements about the reality of the world, but I got mired down in the need to change my thinking. I thought so much I forgot to address the problem. Focus. Focus, Find a good story. You’re a social worker and this was your round to paint a picture of a scene you have sitnessed. You have been to India. How did that experience shape you? Keep at it. 80.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 05:48
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Shavixmir: I kind of felt like I was at a recruiting seminar for a cult. What did you think would be the outcome or the reaction of your sermon? I tend to think people would listen, but there would be little incentive to change. I heard a lot of general statements about the reality of the world, but I got mired down in the need to change my thinking. ...[text shortened]... u have sitnessed. You have been to India. How did that experience shape you? Keep at it. 80.
    Well, what I was aiming for was actually doing a sermon about the roots of injustice (caused by fear), based upon a non-existing holy book and held in front of a make-belief gathering of followers.

I guess I just didn't pull it off...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree