1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 07:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    How did God's Word make me a better person? It made me a better person to the extent that I allowed it to better me. It made me a better person to the extent I choose to submitt myself to it. It made me a better person to the extent that I allowed the incarnated Word of God (Christ) to live in me to effect change in me and live through me.

How's that fo ...[text shortened]... short and too sweet perhaps?

Edit: Do we get bonus points for correct grammer and spellin?
    Don't go preaching your sermon in the vestibule. Save it up for the real thing. Try to develop your ideas a little more. Cohesion, grammar, and spelling all count in my book, and by the way, you mispelled 'grammar'.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 07:04
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Shame on a nigga that tries to run game on a nigga!
    I apologize. The astute learner would have immediately picked up that this judge may be swayed some by a sermon with some levity in it.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 07:08
    Originally posted by josephw
    "Me", meaning you? And who are the contestants? And why should they compete with one another?
    "Me" means the one preaching the sermon. This is a little exercise in confesssional preaching. Don't worry, it doesn't mean you've gone Catholic. The contestants are anybody that wants to enter. Why compete? To learn how to be a better proclaimer of your faith.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 11:51
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    "Me" means the one preaching the sermon. This is a little exercise in confesssional preaching. Don't worry, it doesn't mean you've gone Catholic. The contestants are anybody that wants to enter. Why compete? To learn how to be a better proclaimer of your faith.
    Ok! Will the "sermons" be posted here or in another thread? Logistics?
  5. Joined
    21 Apr '07
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 12:05
    The BWA is going to sponsor a sermon competition to help meet the preaching needs of some in this forum. There are some rulz, so listen up.

1) You must stay on the topic or theme that I name. It's kind of like Iron Chef where you don't know the ingredient.

2) Limit your sermon to 5 minutes max. If your post is as long as a Nemesio post, I will di ...[text shortened]... 15 stanzas of "Just As I Am".

I will give an update soon on the topic and the judges.
    6) All religions are welcome to participate.

Is Atheism a religion?

If not, are you not discriminating against the poor atheist and agnostic folk?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 12:16
    Originally posted by Phuzudaka
    If not, are you not discriminating against the poor atheist and agnostic folk?
    We don't 'preach sermons' we simply 'tell it like it is'.😏
  7. Joined
    21 Apr '07
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 13:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Tell what like it really is? The Holy Book of Atheism?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 13:441 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you tell it like it is rather than only the way you percieve it as being?
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 13:51
    Originally posted by josephw
    Ok! Will the "sermons" be posted here or in another thread? Logistics?
    Logistics will soon follow.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 13:51
    Originally posted by Phuzudaka
    [b]6) All religions are welcome to participate.

Is Atheism a religion?

If not, are you not discriminating against the poor atheist and agnostic folk?[/b]
    I have addressed this in my post to Rwingett.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 14:05
    I have addressed this in my post to Rwingett.
    The assignment you gave is: "How God's Word Made Me a Better Person". I do not ask for a personal exemption from that objective. If I participate, I will, as you assigned, take one passage and use it to describe how it made me a better person.
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 15:25
    I am currently working out a system of rotating guest judges. I have asked a real hard core sinner to sit in on this first round, so these sermons better be good. Someone's salvation may be at stake. Naw it ain't Shavixmir.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 16:16
    I am currently working out a system of rotating guest judges. I have asked a real hard core sinner to sit in on this first round, so these sermons better be good. Someone's salvation may be at stake. Naw it ain't Shavixmir.
    I have a grand sermon in mind, Brother Kirk. Maybe a bit too grand for the confines of this contest. I wonder if the judging could be held off until the following Sunday (June 17th). Furthermore, I wonder if I could get a bit of leeway on both the word count and on the one passage limitation?
  14. Playing with matches
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 17:55
    OK, sermon topic #1. Here are the rulz. I will give you a topic and you must present it by Sunday, the day when sermons are delivered. You can present it before if you like, but Sunday is our deadline.

Here is your first sermon topic: "How God's Word Made Me a Better Person". I'll give you a little hint; the key word in this sermon is "me."

Here are your judges (so far): Reverend K., DoctorScribbles, Bbarr and one to be announced.
    Brother's and Sisters... let me speak to you of Love... the Love between a man and a woman... the gentle wisdom of GOD's love that embraces all of us and the Love of The Word that has made me a better servant of GOD.

Each night I wander, as with Jesus through the desert, looking to GOD for a blessing of divine inspiration. Some Truth that I can bring into my heart and share with you as I do this day.

My thoughts consumed me and as night fell and I found myself lost in the wilds of dimly lit streets, shady back allies and decrepit neighbourhoods. I found myself amongst all manner of dope fiends, drug peddlers, gang members and prostitutes.

I did not fear, as I knew that the LORD was with me. Even in this den of darkness and evil, there was HIS light and it cut through the night to envelop an Angel fallen to Earth. As she leaned against a lampost, GOD's Grace illuminated her alabaster skin. She was a divine image in shining white leather and lace.

From Ezekiel 23:1-40, The word of the LORD came to me and I was reminded of the Two Adulterous Sisters that had become prostitutes in their youth. I was drawn to Ezekiels image of their supple breasts being fondled and their virgin bosoms caressed. Surely this vision in white was the very spirit of Oholah and her sister Oholibah. Surely GOD had blessed me with a divine message to bring to you.

In my quest for enlightenment, I approached my Angelic vision and Ezekiel 23:20 burned into my mind with the bright fire of GOD's touch: "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." Truly, I was being guided by the very hand of GOD!

I fell to my knees infront of the Angel and gave thanks to GOD as she drew me up into her blessed embrace. As we communed with GOD under the light of the LORD I came to know the Love between a Man and a Woman. The Word of The Lord has brought me to a state of blessed ectasy and I have been given this Gift to share with you today.

I say unto you that GOD loves you and wants you to Love each other. Love, my Brother's and Sister's, will bring you closer to God and closer to each other.

PRAISE THE LORD!
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '07 17:582 edits
    [b]Don't go preaching your sermon in the vestibule.
    I will have you know that I eat my vestibules, I don't preach to them.

Edit: It seems that I am not the only person here with a spelling problem. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree