Setting yourself up

Setting yourself up

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
15 Feb 22
1 edit

A couple thousand years ago one man claimed that he was the son of God. He told us to be forgiving of others, to follow God's commandments, and that he would be the ultimate sacrifice for their sins, and for the sins of the world. He healed the sick, brought at least one person back from the dead, and debated the finer points of scripture with the learned men at the temple in Jerusalem. The occupying Romans thought he was a looney, the Jews thought he was a religious heretic. As a result, he was beaten, whipped, hung on a cross, and died. Throughout the time of his ministry all he asked of his disciples and followers is they believe and accept him as their savior.

While you're alive you have an opportunity to set yourself up for one of 2 paths: 1. Be a believer and set yourself up for eternity in heaven or 2. Be a non-believer and set yourself for a long visit to a very unpleasant place. These 2 locations are not abstract states of mind, they are real. Everything that can be done to place you on the 1st path has already been done for you. So, what are you setting yourself up for?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Feb 22

@mchill said
A couple thousand years ago one man claimed that he was the son of God. He told us to be forgiving of others, to follow God's commandments, and that he would be the ultimate sacrifice for their sins, and for the sins of the world. He healed the sick, brought at least one person back from the dead, and debated the finer points of scripture with the learned men at the temple in ...[text shortened]... o place you on the 1st path has already been done for you. So, what are you setting yourself up for?
Do you actually expect anyone to fall for this obvious mind control trick?

It's basically Pascal's Wager, which has been refuted about 100 times on this forum. Several Christians even reject that argument.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
15 Feb 22

@mchill said
A couple thousand years ago one man claimed that he was the son of God. He told us to be forgiving of others, to follow God's commandments, and that he would be the ultimate sacrifice for their sins, and for the sins of the world. He healed the sick, brought at least one person back from the dead, and debated the finer points of scripture with the learned men at the temple in ...[text shortened]... o place you on the 1st path has already been done for you. So, what are you setting yourself up for?
I'll follow the third path, accept we are just another fleeting and mortal inhabitant of the Earth fortunate enough to exist, against all the evolutionary odds. I will make the most of the amazing opportunity of life and not waste time worshipping or fearing false gods of human construction. I will explore and develop and love.

For in truth there is only one location, and eventually, we will all end up there.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
15 Feb 22

@mchill said
Why are you not telling people what Jesus said they have to do.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. (Revelation 22:14 KJV)

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
15 Feb 22
1 edit

@bigdogg said

It's basically Pascal's Wager, which has been refuted about 100 times on this forum. Several Christians even reject that argument.

I don't expect anything at all. It's my independent nature to find a counterpoint to contrast with the views of others.

BTW bigdogg - what happened to your rating? No disrespect intended, but you were once in the 2000 range.

F

Moves
15 Feb 22
1 edit

@mchill said
While you're alive you have an opportunity to set yourself up for one of 2 paths: 1. Be a believer and set yourself up for eternity in heaven or 2. Be a non-believer and set yourself for a long visit to a very unpleasant place.
What about a 3rd path...

3. Be a believer or a non-believer, whichever one makes sense to you while you are alive, and then at the end of it you die, and that's that.

rain

Moves
16 Feb 22

@fmf said
What about a 3rd path...

3. Be a believer or a non-believer, whichever one makes sense to you while you are alive, and then at the end of it you die, and that's that.
Or fourth path:

Be a believer but believe in the wrong god

Or fifth path:

Believe in correct God but not the correct set of beliefs (Catholic vs Protestant, Shia vs. Sunni, etc.).

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
16 Feb 22

@mchill said

I don't expect anything at all. It's my independent nature to find a counterpoint to contrast with the views of others.

BTW bigdogg - what happened to your rating? No disrespect intended, but you were once in the 2000 range.
I would think you expect to get replies to your post, at least. If not, why bother making a post in the first place?

I'm on an extended break from chess. A few months ago, I resigned all my games, thus causing the low rating.

F

Moves
16 Feb 22

@bigdogg said
I would think you expect to get replies to your post, at least. If not, why bother making a post in the first place?
If one were to cast an eye over the last dozen or so @mchill threads, typing the two sentences above in reply to most of them would probably be bang on target.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
16 Feb 22

@bigdogg said

I'm on an extended break from chess. A few months ago, I resigned all my games, thus causing the low rating.

I have gotten replies to my post(s) Your point?

P.S. Thank You for responding to my question about your chess status. We all need a break sometimes.

F

Moves
16 Feb 22

@mchill said
I have gotten replies to my post(s) Your point?
Do you know what "It's basically Pascal's Wager" means? Do you agree that it "...has been refuted about 100 times on this forum"?

Moves
16 Feb 22
3 edits

@mchill said

While you're alive you have an opportunity to set yourself up for one of 2 paths: 1. Be a believer and set yourself up for eternity in heaven or 2. Be a non-believer and set yourself for a long visit to a very unpleasant place. These 2 locations are not abstract states of mind, they are real. Everything that can be done to place you on the 1st path has already been done for you. So, what are you setting yourself up for?
Ignoring your first paragraph, which is essentially just a kellyJayesque block of faith-speak, your second paragraph contains theological errors, logical fallacies and reads like the opening prologue of a corny TV series like “Left Behind”.

“Be a believer” …. Oh ok I’ll choose to believe in something I don’t believe in.

“Set yourself up” it’s not a career in bitcoin trading!

“Be a non believer” oh ok I’ll choose to not believe in the god I secretly DO believe in and choose to go to this “unpleasant place” because I’m like that, I like to be contentious!

“Real locations” - hell is not real, it doesn’t exist it’s expression is an illogical convoluted fear-tool of incoherent amoral nonsense.

“Everything that can be done for you has been done” well if hell and burning alive for eternity DOES exist, then what has been done to prevent billions going there is a pretty crap job.

Moves
16 Feb 22
1 edit

@mchill said
Have you ever, even once, considered the option that threatening people with the most horrendous eternal fate the human mind can envisage is a “mind control trick”?

Moves
16 Feb 22

@mchill said

And there it is… the fall back position and cringeworthy intellectually hackneyed rabbit-punch of the likes of Very Rusty and pb1022.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Feb 22

@divegeester said
And there it is… the fall back position and cringeworthy intellectually hackneyed rabbit-punch of the likes of Very Rusty and pb1022.
With the latter on vacation (cough cough forum ban) he is limited to rabbit punching on his profile.