1. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    10 Dec '11 14:23
    I am at a loss to understand why any serious Christian who knows the Bible would spend so much time and effort defending Christianity, or defending God etc etc., or aruging with atheists.

    I fully appreciate why atheists want to argue; they need to convert the world and eliminate opposition to their lifestyle. They need support. Christians dont need any support. Why do Christians do it when Christ said ..

    Mark 6:10-11 And he said unto them, In what place soever ye enter into an house, there abide till ye depart from that place. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

    Atheists are not interested in God or in the Bible so .. shake off the dust and move on.
  2. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    10 Dec '11 14:41
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I am at a loss to understand why any serious Christian who knows the Bible would spend so much time and effort defending Christianity, or defending God etc etc., or aruging with atheists. [...]Atheists are not interested in God or in the Bible so .. shake off the dust and move on.
    When you say "move on", do you mean leave the forum?
  3. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    10 Dec '11 14:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    When you say "move on", do you mean leave the forum?
    Certainly not.
  4. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    10 Dec '11 14:47
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Certainly not.
    But this is a forum that attracts people of all manner of faiths, denominations, and approaches to spirituality. Why would Christians 'want' to remain here, and yet not 'want' to get involved in the forum's debating activity?
  5. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    10 Dec '11 14:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    But this is a forum that attracts people of all manner of faiths, denominations, and approaches to spirituality. Why would Christians 'want' to remain here, and yet not 'want' to get involved in the forum's debating activity?
    Oh .. so if a Christian stays here, then they HAVE to argue with atheists? What utter nonsense ! I post and read here all the time and I never had an arugment with an atheist or tried to defend God or prove that God exists ... NEVER.
  6. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    10 Dec '11 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Oh .. so if a Christian stays here, then they HAVE to argue with atheists? What utter nonsense ! I post and read here all the time and I never had an arugment with an atheist or tried to defend God or prove that God exists ... NEVER.
    It's an eclectic, international forum - many approaches to spirituality - many atheists are spiritual people too - hey, one can debate the definitions 🙂 - even the Christians here have smackdown disagreements and mutual recriminations/denunciations. A call to Christians to boycott debate and interaction seems rather 'small' of you, if you don't mind me saying. Negative. Not community spirited. What's the risk - what's the damage done - if there's healthy and vigorous back and forth with people with different belief systems in a marvelously free floating arena like this? There are a multitude of web sites and forums where Christians go to talk to other Christians. You don't HAVE to do anything here, Rajk999. You don't have to argue with atheists or non-Christians - or non-religionist theists like me - if you don't want to.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12622
    10 Dec '11 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Oh .. so if a Christian stays here, then they HAVE to argue with atheists? What utter nonsense ! I post and read here all the time and I never had an arugment with an atheist or tried to defend God or prove that God exists ... NEVER.
    I agree with you. But shake off the dust, to me, has never meant not to love them or continue to pray for them. And it even may mean give another try.

    Face it, we have seen atheists decide to turn to Jesus just like anybody else.

    Don't buy into any myth "once an atheist always an atheist".
    Who knows? We might lead a future C.S. Lewis to love Jesus !

    In principle though, you are right. shake the dust off and move on. But in the Internet world that doesn't have to mean stop your Forum membership.
  8. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    10 Dec '11 15:04
    Originally posted by jaywill
    In principle though, you are right. shake the dust off and move on.
    "Move on" where? To what? To whom?
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12622
    10 Dec '11 15:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Move on" where? To what? To whom?
    To the sweetness of the resurrected Jesus !
  10. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    10 Dec '11 15:14
    Originally posted by jaywill
    To the sweetness of the resurrected Jesus !
    There are web sites where that is the only thing on the agenda - and all good strength to them! Is that the kind of place you reckon you should "move on" to?
  11. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    10 Dec '11 15:51
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I agree with you. But shake off the dust, to me, has never meant not to love them or continue to pray for them. And it even may mean give another try.

    Face it, we have seen atheists decide to turn to Jesus just like anybody else.

    Don't buy into any myth "once an atheist always an atheist".
    Who knows? We might lead a future C.S. Lewis to love J ...[text shortened]... and move on. But in the Internet world that doesn't have to mean stop your Forum membership.
    Excuse me?!! Did I say anything about stopping forum membership or not posting here at all ? Please read carefully before jumping to conclusions. I post all the time without getting involved in arguing with atheists.

    We have no mandate to defend God or prove that God exists. We are commanded to spread the gospel of Christ and his kingdom to come to those who wish to hear.

    Interesting that you think you can convert atheists.
  12. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    10 Dec '11 15:55
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's an eclectic, international forum - many approaches to spirituality - many atheists are spiritual people too - hey, one can debate the definitions 🙂 - even the Christians here have smackdown disagreements and mutual recriminations/denunciations. A call to Christians to boycott debate and interaction seems rather 'small' of you, if you don't mind me saying. ...[text shortened]... heists or non-Christians - or non-religionist theists like me - if you don't want to.
    I know what I can and cannot do FMF. I don't need, neither have I ever solicited your advice. I am reminding Christians of what Christ said. If you disagree that's tough.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    10 Dec '11 16:041 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I am at a loss to understand why any serious Christian who knows the Bible would spend so much time and effort defending Christianity, or defending God etc etc., or aruging with atheists.

    I fully appreciate why atheists want to argue; they need to convert the world and eliminate opposition to their lifestyle. They need support. Christians dont need any s ...[text shortened]... [/i]

    Atheists are not interested in God or in the Bible so .. shake off the dust and move on.
    Some Christians seem to contrast this with Matthew 28:19: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,..." This spreading of the faith is seems to be required, in some faiths.

    But I laud your message. Perhaps we could have a December moratorium from all concerned. Of course it would be voluntary.

    I'd think that this would apply not just to leaving the house of atheists, but leaving the house of those Christians or self-defined Christians who hold to their doctrines, e.g., on the divinity of Jesus/Michael and the Trinity, in ways that starkly differ from one another's. Quitude on that front would be appreciated, as the clamor never seems to get anywhere.
  14. SubscriberFMF
    Main Poster
    This Thread
    Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29835
    10 Dec '11 16:092 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I know what I can and cannot do FMF. I don't need, neither have I ever solicited your advice. I am reminding Christians of what Christ said. If you disagree that's tough.
    It's in the nature of the internet - and, indeed, a forum like this - that you hear things that you don't want to hear and get advice you didn't ask for, Rajk999. Frankly I'm surprised to find a poster like you trying to insulate yourself from such diversity, when a forum such as this is surely tailor made for people who pointedly don't want to insulate themselves from people who disagree on matters of belief. "If [I] disagree, that's tough"? Oh? But I find nothing "tough" at all about disagreeing with you. It is surely agreeable, is it not? - to have this chance - this virtual arena, in which - to disagree. 😵
  15. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    10 Dec '11 16:32
    Originally posted by JS357
    Some Christians seem to contrast this with Matthew 28:19: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,..." This spreading of the faith is seems to be required, in some faiths.

    But I laud your message. Perhaps we could have a December moratorium from all concerned. Of course ...[text shortened]... er's. Quitude on that front would be appreciated, as the clamor never seems to get anywhere.
    Surely the instructions in Matt 28:19 cannot by any stretch of the imagination include discussing with atheists who claim ..

    God is a dick
    God is horrific
    God is a murderer
    God is ... [post other insults here]

    At that point a sensible Christian should know that its time to walk away and follow the instruction of Christ to 'shake the dust' .. etc. To continue discussion with blasphemous people like those who make such comments is an insult to Christ and God.

    Unfortunately Jaywill, whom I respect a great deal for other reasons, is the chief offender here and he is in my opinion belittling himself by pursuing lengthy discussions and arguments with those who blaspheme Gods name. But obviously that his choice. I rather follow what Christ said. I walk away from those arguments. Thats my choice.
Back to Top