1. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Joined
    22 Jan '13
    Moves
    1834
    13 Aug '13 04:59
    http://news.yahoo.com/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists--study-finds--113350723.html#upCr476
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    13 Aug '13 05:12
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    http://news.yahoo.com/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists--study-finds--113350723.html#upCr476
    That is probably because they do not answer the Evilution questions in a politically correct manner according to the commonly accepted propaganda.

    The instructor
  3. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Joined
    22 Jan '13
    Moves
    1834
    13 Aug '13 05:29
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    That is probably because they do not answer the Evilution questions in a politically correct manner according to the commonly accepted propaganda.

    The instructor
    ...and there's the proof. You are not intellectually capable of distinguishing between intelligence and 'political correctness/propaganda'.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    13 Aug '13 06:21
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    ...and there's the proof. You are not intellectually capable of distinguishing between intelligence and 'political correctness/propaganda'.
    The Intelligence I am referring to is the ability of a individual being, by true reason and logic, to obtain and use knowledge and skills. I am not referring to information in the form of politically correct propaganda, like evilution and the Earth is billions of years old that only has to be memorized to conform with the majority. That is all you do. isn't it?

    The Instructor
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    13 Aug '13 07:28
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    http://news.yahoo.com/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists--study-finds--113350723.html#upCr476
    well, if the internet says so because of one study then it must be true.
    we all know the studies cannot be faked or adjusted to suit some goal or simply for the sake of cruddy sensationalist journalism
  6. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    13 Aug '13 11:111 edit
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    http://news.yahoo.com/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists--study-finds--113350723.html#upCr476
    “People possessing the functions that religion provides are likely to adopt atheism, people lacking these very functions (e.g., the poor, the helpless) are likely to adopt theism,” the researchers wrote.

    The above quote is the last statement from that article.

    Or perhaps those that are more intelligent think they possess functions that the poor and helpless don't possess, therefore they (e.g., the rich, the powerful) believe God is merely a substitute for what they think they innately possess.
  7. Standard memberRemoved
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    100919
    13 Aug '13 13:44
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    http://news.yahoo.com/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists--study-finds--113350723.html#upCr476
    This might be true since the bible says God chose not many wise to confound the wisdom of this world. He chose the foolish things of this world. So, if you deem yourself wise, you should be concerned.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    13 Aug '13 14:01
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    This might be true since the bible says God chose not many wise to confound the wisdom of this world. He chose the foolish things of this world. So, if you deem yourself wise, you should be concerned.
    geez
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    13 Aug '13 21:411 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]“People possessing the functions that religion provides are likely to adopt atheism, people lacking these very functions (e.g., the poor, the helpless) are likely to adopt theism,” the researchers wrote.

    The above quote is the last statement from that article.

    Or perhaps those that are more intelligent think they possess functions that th powerful) believe God is merely a substitute for what they think they innately possess.[/b]
    This reminds me of something Jesus said.

    Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

    (Matthew 19:23-24 NKJV)

    Perhaps this is the reason for all the so-called intelligent atheists. Perhaps they are really just greedy.

    The Instructor
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Joined
    19 Jan '04
    Moves
    22131
    13 Aug '13 22:332 edits
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    http://news.yahoo.com/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists--study-finds--113350723.html#upCr476
    This appears to refer to a meta-study. In any event, I tend not to put a lot of stock in such stuff. I think that, at best, it risks statistical discrimination. How large is the area of central tendency? How broad are the tails? (For that matter, what is the shape of the distribution?) People with developed critical thinking skills would, I think, be more likely to question religious (or any other) dogma—and, I would think, are less likely to accept fundamentalism of any kind. Then again, intelligent people can set aside their critical thinking skills in the face of some dearly-held convictions (religious or otherwise). Then again, very intelligent people may have (and have had) highly developed theologies that are internally consistent (a necessary, but not sufficient, requirement). And, of course, intelligent people can be wrong.

    I have read (and dialoged with) theists (especially Jewish and Christian) who have intimidating intellects. Paul Tillich (Christian) comes to mind, Kierkegaard (Christian philospher) comes to mind, Abraham Joshua Heschel (Jewish) comes to mind, as does Emmanuel Levinas (Jewish philosopher)--as well as some people I have met on here (anybody remember lucifershammer, for example? But I am not going to risk a list.). Sometimes, I struggle to keep up.

    The worst thing would be to pretend that we (as atheists or theists) are ipso facto more intelligent than those we engage with on the other side.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    13 Aug '13 23:01
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The Intelligence I am referring to is the ability of a individual being, by true reason and logic, to obtain and use knowledge and skills. I am not referring to information in the form of politically correct propaganda, like evilution and the Earth is billions of years old that only has to be memorized to conform with the majority. That is all you do. isn't it?

    The Instructor
    Oops! Maybe in Ronworld, but It seems like in the US, following the majority "propaganda" is a theistic thing.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/hold-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx

    46% believe creationism, 32% divinely guided evolution, 15% secular evolution.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    14 Aug '13 03:001 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Oops! Maybe in Ronworld, but It seems like in the US, following the majority "propaganda" is a theistic thing.

    http://www.gallup.com/poll/155003/hold-creationist-view-human-origins.aspx

    46% believe creationism, 32% divinely guided evolution, 15% secular evolution.
    The 46% of Americans who today believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years is little changed from the 44% who believed this 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question.

    I suppose they mean by "present form" that humans were always humans.

    Encouraging. We have more intelligent people than I thought. The percentage is rising.

    The Instructor 😏
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    14 Aug '13 04:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The 46% of Americans who today believe that God created humans in their present form within the last 10,000 years is little changed from the 44% who believed this 30 years ago, when Gallup first asked the question.

    I suppose they mean by "present form" that humans were always humans.

    Encouraging. We have more intelligent people than I thought. The percentage is rising.

    The Instructor 😏
    So the discrediting of your idea that atheists are just following the majority, went right over your head. I wonder if any theist here will acknowledge that. Anybody? Hello?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12695
    14 Aug '13 05:052 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    So the discrediting of your idea that atheists are just following the majority, went right over your head. I wonder if any theist here will acknowledge that. Anybody? Hello?
    Did I say the atheists were following the majority? Majority of what? Majority of all people in the world? Majority of Scientists? Majority of evilutionists? What was my exact quote that you are referring to? We have 46% believe in a young Earth so that must mean 54% believe in an old Earth and that is just a study in the U.S.A. right? Isn't 54% the majority and the 46% the minority point of view?

    The Instructor
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    14 Aug '13 14:38
    Originally posted by woodypusher
    http://news.yahoo.com/religious-people-are-less-intelligent-than-atheists--study-finds--113350723.html#upCr476
    I wouldn't put too much stock in such a study. There are many other factors to consider, like the education level of the parties tested and ethnicity, social standing, poverty levels, gender,and so forth. Maybe they already factored all that in but probably not.

    It might be just an educational bias, for instance, Amish officially deny the congregation the right to even a high school education, limiting them to just 8th grade max.

    That kind of educational bias might skew the results.

    Obviously there are theists who would score an IQ of 180 just as there may be atheists who clock in at 80.

    I think mainly the degree of your theistic belief is disconnected from your education, that is to say, it is more on how you have been programmed by your early theistic exposure as a child.

    A 6 yo kid with Pentacostal parents on average will become pentacostal and will be stuck in a small universe just like RJ.

    An occasional kid, like me, who actually had Pentacostal grandparents, escape the programming inherent in such religions.

    So did I escape BECAUSE I am smarter than average or did I become smarter later? Or was I just frigging lucky?
Back to Top