1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 18:401 edit
    @divegeester said
    Would leave if I did rejoin?
    Why would you leave if you did rejoin? πŸ™‚

Providing no one vetoed you rejoining that is.

-VR
  2. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 18:52
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Before we address biblical misunderstanding, is the New World Translation of the Bible the only valid one? - If so, who decided that?

I ask, as in John 1:1, for example, it mistranslates, “and the Word was God” for “and the Word was a god,” completely misconstruing the meaning of the text.
    No it doesn't dear boy.

In the original text the word for God (Almighty) is "Ho Theos", a phrase not repeated in that line. The word "logos" is correctly translated in several translations as either "godlike", or "devine" or something close. it is INCORRECTLY translated as "GOD" in works such as King James; Douay; AV etc.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:03
    @medullah

New International Version
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

New Living Translation
    In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

English Standard Version

Berean Standard Bible

Berean Literal Bible

King James Bible

New King James Version

New American Standard Bible

etc etc etc
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:09
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    @medullah

New International Version

New Living Translation
    In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

English Standard Version

Berean Standard Bible
    ...[text shortened]... ible

etc etc etc
    atheist,

noun. athe·β€‹ist ˈā-thΔ“-ist. Synonyms of atheist. : a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism.

You sure seem to know much about religion for one who claims to be an atheist.

-VR
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:11
    @very-rusty said
    Why should being an atheist preclude someone from knowing a lot about religion?
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:22
    @divegeester said
    Why should being an atheist preclude someone from knowing a lot about religion?
    The question was not directed at you gooster, but thanks for playing. πŸ™‚

-VR
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:25
    @very-rusty said
    The question was not directed at you gooster
    You don’t seem to be very good at navigating open discussion Rusty.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:311 edit
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    My degree was in theology.

Is that allowed? Should I return my certificate?
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:34
    @medullah said
    No it doesn't dear boy.

In the original text the word for God (Almighty) is "Ho Theos", a phrase not repeated in that line. The word "logos" is correctly translated in several translations as either "godlike", or "devine" or something close. it is INCORRECTLY translated as "GOD" in works such as King James; Douay; AV etc.
    I like this reply I found:

'Let's be clear here. The New World Translation, the JW's official translation, alters the text of John 1:1 to change the language "the Word was God" to "the Word was a God". The alteration is usually justified with some very poor arguments on the original Greek, which just about every expert I've read on 1st century Koine rejects.

The odd part about this alteration, other than the dishonesty of it, is why the Watchtower and Bible Society even thought it was necessary, since no other Unitarian sect, including the Arians, ever thought it necessary to monkey around with the verse (which they wouldn't have, viewing that as a clear violation of the prohibition against altering any part of Scripture). This is likely because JW scholarship is absolutely appalling, they probably knew nothing of the Arian arguments when they made the alteration, and later didn't want to be seen as using even an ancient Church source like Arius.'

(Reddit)
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:35
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I like this reply I found:

'Let's be clear here. The New World Translation, the JW's official translation, alters the text of John 1:1 to change the language "the Word was God" to "the Word was a God". The alteration is usually justified with some very poor arguments on the original Greek, which just about every expert I've read on 1st century Koine rejects.

The ...[text shortened]... on, and later didn't want to be seen as using even an ancient Church source like Arius.'

(Reddit)
    I see, so you just looked it up, thanks all the answer I was looking for. πŸ™‚

-VR
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 19:381 edit
    @very-rusty said
    I see, so you just looked it up, thanks all the answer I was looking for. πŸ™‚

-VR
    You think research is a bad thing?

Perhaps I have inspired you to give your own references, when copy and pasting someone else's words.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 20:32
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    You think research is a bad thing?

Perhaps I have inspired you to give your own references, when copy and pasting someone else's words.
    I am very doubtful that will happen as it is obvious it has been copied and pasted even if you didn't give reference. πŸ™‚ πŸ˜›

-VR
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 20:451 edit
    @very-rusty said
    I am very doubtful that will happen as it is obvious it has been copied and pasted even if you didn't give reference. πŸ™‚ πŸ˜›

-VR
    “Plagiarism. - Presenting work or ideas from another source as your own, with or without consent of the original author, by incorporating it into your work without full acknowledgement. All published and unpublished material, whether in manuscript, printed or electronic form, is covered under this definition...'

https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/guidance/skills/plagiarism
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 20:52
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    “Plagiarism. - Presenting work or ideas from another source as your own, with or without consent of the original author, by incorporating it into your work without full acknowledgement. All published and unpublished material, whether in manuscript, printed or electronic form, is covered under this definition...'

https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/guidance/skills/plagiarism
    Well I been doing it for years as well as others on the site, when will the Police be coming to arrest us....I want to get a good head start on them. πŸ˜› πŸ™‚

-VR
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Mar '24 20:55
    @very-rusty said
    Well I been doing it for years as well as others on the site, when will the Police be coming to arrest us....I want to get a good head start on them. πŸ˜› πŸ™‚

-VR
    Tuesday, 3pm.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree