1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 02:12
    If your answer is no, congratualtions: You have just demonstrated to yourself that "morality" is malleable. Had Brown been unlucky enough to be born during the Unenlightened Dark Ages, he surely would have shared a bonfire with Bruno.

If you answered "yes", then congratualtions once again...you should find comfort in the Islamo-facist ideologies of the world.
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 03:17
    He's an incredibly crappy writer but if we started executing based on that we'd be at it all day.
  3. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 03:22
    David, may I suggest you consider a history lesson.
    The Unenlightened Dark Ages not only shows your arrogance by promoting your own era as superior to theirs, but it also shows your ignorance, for the so-called Dark Ages produced some of the most beautiful saints of the Christian era. Now that is more microscopic when you consider that there were more than just Christians, but it shouldnt be ignored. Would you like me, in the future, to emphasize your ignorance, or your arrogance?

p.s. i dont think Mr. Brown should be put to death, its a very odd question, but theres my answer, whats your answer to my question?
  4. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 03:28
    cant hide from the ignorance i guess
    i reread your opening post and discovered that your references are in need of actual knowledge
    heres one pointer: the Dark Ages is a characterization of the early Middle Ages, the Dark Ages are said to have ended around the Year 1000. Bruno was execuated 500 years later. Might want to go over the evidence instead of your precious rhetoric.
  5. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 03:40
    Originally posted by KAFKOV
    David, may I suggest you consider a history lesson.

Sure! I love history. What do you have for me?

The Unenlightened Dark Ages not only shows your arrogance by promoting your own era as superior to theirs

So, you're saying you don't think we've progressed scientifically, culturally and/or morally since, say, The Inquisition?

Would you like me, in the future, to emphasize your ignorance, or your arrogance?

Whatever helps you cope.

p.s. i dont think Mr. Brown should be put to death, its a very odd question, but theres my answer

Super! Why is it that you don't think he should be put to death...is it a moral thing?

whats your answer to my question

Which question was that again?
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 03:43
    cant hide from the ignorance i guess
    i reread your opening post and discovered that your references are in need of actual knowledge
    heres one pointer: the Dark Ages is a characterization of the early Middle Ages, the Dark Ages are said to have ended around the Year 1000. Bruno was execuated 500 years later. Might want to go over the evidence instead of your precious rhetoric.
    /shrugs. Not really interested in your ad hominems, sparky. The fact that Bruno was "execuated" at all should be your clue. Are you a Christian, by any chance?
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 03:47
    I was merely trying to emphasize your historical shortcomings, that were arleady accentuated by a short reference or two in your opening post.

I dont think Brown should be put to death, because I believe that life has a sacredness in it that should not be extinguished.

I do believe we have progressed in certain disciplines yes, but I dont believe in blaming past generations, for not having advanced as far as we have for the simple reason that we are where we are because we have built upon what they left us. To characterize a whole time period as unenlightened, to me, is arrogant. For me to refer to people today who do not have the technology as I do, as either backward, or unenlightened, is nothing but arrogance. Its no different when you seperate yourself by a few centuries or millenias.
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 04:17
    Originally posted by David C
    /shrugs. Not really interested in your ad hominems, sparky. The fact that Bruno was "execuated" at all should be your clue. Are you a Christian, by any chance?
    Now, David—I’m sure that if K ever makes a mistake in history or other factual matters, he will delight in being corrected in the same felicitous manner...

In the strictest historical usage the “Dark Ages” refers to the early Middle Ages (circa 476 – 1,000 C.E.). However, the term also has a broader common usage. Webster’s New Universal Unabridged Dictionary has these entries:

1. the period in European history from about A.D. 476 to about 1000.

2. the whole of the Middle Ages from about A.D. 476 to the Renaissance [beginning in the 14th century].

3. a period or stage marked by repressiveness, a lack of enlightenment or advanced technological knowledge, etc.
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 04:24
    yeah i agree that terms like Dark, or even Middle Ages, Modern Era, and a variety of other convenient created designations for a variety of periods of history are subject to some discussion. That said the execution of Bruno does not really qualify as occuring during the dark ages unless you extend the 3 options to its more liberal point, at which you might have to pass judgement on particular cultures of today too, which im not comfortable doing, but which David seems to be.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 04:30
    yeah i agree that terms like Dark, or even Middle Ages, Modern Era, and a variety of other convenient created designations for a variety of periods of history are subject to some discussion. That said the execution of Bruno does not really qualify as occuring during the dark ages unless you extend the 3 options to its more liberal point, at which you might h ...[text shortened]... n particular cultures of today too, which im not comfortable doing, but which David seems to be.
    Irrespective of your definition, if Dan Brown had written the Da Vanci code a few hundred years ago, he'd have been killed by your church for it.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 04:36
    my church?
    there are no 'ifs' in history, so forgive me if i ask you to spare me
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 04:38
    my church?
    there are no 'ifs' in history, so forgive me if i ask you to spare me
    You like trying to dodge valid points, don't you?
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 04:41
    theres no validity to something that does not have a reasonable basis
    i cant speak to what could have occured in a particular place in the world, by a particular organization, because of a particular reason that you believe would have warranted a death penalty
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 04:43
    yeah i agree that terms like Dark, or even Middle Ages, Modern Era, and a variety of other convenient created designations for a variety of periods of history are subject to some discussion. That said the execution of Bruno does not really qualify as occuring during the dark ages unless you extend the 3 options to its more liberal point, at which you might h ...[text shortened]... n particular cultures of today too, which im not comfortable doing, but which David seems to be.
    I, too, would be loath to pass judgment on whole societies. And there are undoubtedly shining lights in every culture or age. However, I’d pass judgment on particular facets of a given society that I think are reprehensible: the Aryan supremacist culture in Nazi Germany, for (a modern) example. We either pass no judgment at all, or we recognize that we are doing so from our own cultural perspective—which is inescapable.

Despite the patchwork nature of my own ethical understanding, I have never been able to say that slavery was not always and everywhere wrong, though the way in which it was carried out may have been more cruel in some slave-cultures than others. If that is arrogant, then I haply accept the charge.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    04 Sep '06 04:46
    Originally posted by David C
    If your answer is no, congratualtions: You have just demonstrated to yourself that "morality" is malleable. Had Brown been unlucky enough to be born during the Unenlightened Dark Ages, he surely would have shared a bonfire with Bruno.

If you answered "yes", then congratualtions once again...you should find comfort in the Islamo-facist ideologies of the world.
    Just the opposite! He should be canonized. He wrote several very authoritative books
    documenting facts about art, history and the Church!

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree